Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hang10jeff View Post
    I have seen a couple of 2010 carbon gt force rear swing arms floating around on ebay and was wondering if anyone has tried putting them on there aluminum force? Also anyone know if the 2010 swing arms are the same as the 2011s?
    Just got the pieces together to build up a Force for my wife.

Will be using a 2010 GT Force 1.0 front triangle and a 2012 Carbon Force rear triangle.

They fit, no problem. Though BB linkage is different, luckily they came with the rear triangle.

rebmem rbtm
    Cool! Post a pic

Quote Originally Posted by petriedav View Post
    Just got the pieces together to build up a Force for my wife.

Will be using a 2010 GT Force 1.0 front triangle and a 2012 Carbon Force rear triangle.

They fit, no problem. Though BB linkage is different, luckily they came with the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    Cool! Post a pic
    Here you go.
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-20131030_125420-large-.jpg

Will post more once built up

Here is the build
    Frame: GT Force
    Fork: Maverick DUC32
    Wheels: Mavic 819
    Crankset: Custom Jones Mod XTR 960 (2x)
    Shifters: SRAM X7 2 x 10
    RD: SRAM X9
    FD: Shimano LX
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 5s or Shimano SLX (Depends on Mrs preference)

Everything is currently lying in a box in the garage

rebmem rbtm
    So these 2 models really are compatible?!? Hmm interesting!

mtbr member
    Very helpful

May the Force be with you
    That rear triangle sure looks familiar... Glad this worked out.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by petriedav View Post
    Here you go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131030_125420 (Large).jpg 
Views:	1142 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	843158

Will post more once built up

Here is the build
    Frame: GT Force
    Fork: Maverick DUC32
    Wheels: Mavic 819
    Crankset: Custom Jones Mod XTR 960 (2x)
    Shifters: SRAM X7 2 x 10
    RD: SRAM X9
    FD: Shimano LX
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 5s or Shimano SLX (Depends on Mrs preference)

Everything is currently lying in a box in the garage

mtbr member

GT Sanction and Force reference thread

What is the size of the seatpost to be use with 2011 GT Force Carbon Ultimate? Does anyone has website for this frame specification.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnie View Post
    What is the size of the seatpost to be use with 2011 GT Force Carbon Ultimate? Does anyone has website for this frame specification.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
    31.6mm is the size you're looking for. BikePedia will often have this type of information and most seatposts will actually list their size on them somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Natz, I just saw this. This is cool. Great idea.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    I have completed built 2011 "S" size GT Force Carbon for my wife.

However, it seems very large for her. To be honest, it's looks like larger than or qualvalent to my "M" size santa cruz Blur LTc. My wife is only 163CM is there any solution on these? Or anyone with the same height has a similar problem?

mtbr member

Internal Routing with pre-650b Force

Hi all,

Just installed a Specialized Command Post IR (internal routing). No drilling needed.

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-unnamed.jpg
    <br>
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-unnamed2.jpg
    <br>
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-unnamed3.jpg
    Last edited by bryan_d; 03-22-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Dead Links
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks good. I like how it looks cleaner than how I routed my reverb stealth. I'm running a 1x now so got rid of the FD and used those cable guides and looped it up in front of the rear tire. Internally routed dropper post are sweet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ok so i have been lurking around the ol' interwebs for a new frame and came across the gt force 1 and sanction frames, but don't like the QR drop outs and saw the conversion part for the 12mm thru (hence coming here).

Though my question is viability of gt frames from asia. Has anyone had good/bad experiences?

Cheers.

I'm with stupid
    the sanction frames have a 12mm drop out on them. You should still be able to order the sanction drop outs from a GT dealer from GT.My buddy did this on his force I think it cost around 80 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevet87 View Post
    Ok so i have been lurking around the ol' interwebs for a new frame and came across the gt force 1 and sanction frames, but don't like the QR drop outs and saw the conversion part for the 12mm thru (hence coming here).

Though my question is viability of gt frames from asia. Has anyone had good/bad experiences?

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    the sanction frames have a 12mm drop out on them. You should still be able to order the sanction drop outs from a GT dealer from GT.My buddy did this on his force I think it cost around 80 bucks.
    It cost me $100 USD for the dropouts along with another $35 for the 12mm Maxle. I received the 135mm instead of the 142mm dropouts if that information is useful to you. Hopefully, I will be installing them when I get some coin collected for a new wheel-set next month.

Good luck,

Bryan

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    It cost me $100 USD for the dropouts along with another $35 for the 12mm Maxle. I received the 135mm instead of the 142mm dropouts if that information is useful to you. Hopefully, I will be installing them when I get some coin collected for a new wheel-set next month.

Good luck,

Bryan
    I did the same upgrade last summer. works great, absolutely no complaints, but shortly after I developed that GT creak. when you do the swap it's a good time to do the lubing of the dropouts.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone know the recommended base compression and rebound tunes for an air shock for the 2009 Sanction? I think it's medium comp, low rebound, but I'm not sure. Anybody know 100%?
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    There is no official i drive 5 thread anywhere but I looks like there are alot of similarities to sanction or force. So i hope someone can give me some insight. There are two holes top and bottom in frame so 4 possible locations for dog bone. Does this give more rear travel , different levels of progression in travel. GT has dropped all older archives. I can find a tons of info, owner & service manuals and even original GT videos on my 97 LTS and only a couple repair vids or threads on 2007 I drive 5. I have googled it to death.
    Last edited by 153stars; 05-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Here is my ride since there is no distortion thread but sanction and force so similar.
    Its a full custom build on a 2011 medium distortion team frame with a 650b front end.
    2x9 Xo foxfloat 36 140mm, rp23 custom tuned
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-u8ytebad.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Here is my ride since there is no distortion thread but sanction and force so similar.
    Its a full custom build on a 2011 medium distortion team frame with a 650b front end.
    2x9 Xo foxfloat 36 140mm, rp23 custom tuned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u8ytebad.jpg 
Views:	1534 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	896181

That looks like lots of fun. I have a soft spot for the distortion. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks it is such great frame. So much fun.. Finally doing some black diamond shore trails and this bike just soaked it up.

rebmem rbtm
    Wow! Love the distortion! I'd love to try one of those.
    Now I'm planning to turn my carbon Force into a 1x9 setup (right now it's 3x9 and 2x9 on the alu force) + short stem/wider bar combo (35x35mm + 760mm bars). This is in order to achieve a more "modern" Enduro geo on my L sized Force, which with a 600mm Top Tube lenght is an "M" by today's standards, only it has a longer seat tube but has loadas of clearance so that shouldn`t be an issue.

I'm planning the 1x9 combo by disassembling the cassette and adding a 40T E13 cog in there. Will post when I do it, should be sick.
    Any weight numbers on carbon Forces? Both my forces are around 15kg

mtbr member
    I love my Disto slack head angle steep seat tube make it a great all round bike. All my riding is "enduro style" ..
    I'm just switching to ½ inch rise atlas 785 bars(cut to 761) so far with a 6deg 60mm turbine stem. Not sure but I might go down to 150 or maybe swap a 50mm stem in there.. Not sure yet..
    What a carbon force weigh ? Sounds like a fast bike. Distos have a heavier gusseted frame like the sanction so they are Portly
    Im waiting for a rear wheel i ordered to complete my bike.
    Im using wtb i23 rim 650bfront and 26er rear with hope pro2evo hubs and dbl dt comp spokes.
    Should be tough and and not too heavy.
    Lets see that build up!

Cheers

"I Don't Ride Park"
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

So I snapped one of my Sanction's dog bone screws today.

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-imag0470.jpg

Does anyone know how to get another one of these? I went to a couple hardware stores today, with no luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    By looking at those the threaded end is smaller than shank to get one non OEM best bet to get one much longer shank and have machined and threaded, the socket head is shorter normal as well. OEM or machine shop , machinist or BETD in UK probably only option. Good luck get spares.Find dealer
    Store Locator Fury looks same they will know GT Fury Spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec
    in black steel Metric shoulder bolts, Allen, Class 12.9 steel black oil finish - Bolt Depot They are called shoulder bolts http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/F...828+4287834418 I think they are M6 x M5 .80 pitch then you need the shank length I am sure you can get them get it all measured up and start google

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think my next step is to contact a GT dealer tomorrow and hope that they can order the part for me. I'm in Roanoke, VA, and they have a dealer in Lewisburg, WV, which is more or less on the way to Snowshoe, where my son is racing downhill next weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You can also try McMaster Carr- they have a huge assortment of fasteners and are reasonably priced. We use them for a supplier where I work.

McMaster-Carr

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
    By looking at those the threaded end is smaller than shank to get one non OEM best bet to get one much longer shank and have machined and threaded, the socket head is shorter normal as well. OEM or machine shop , machinist or BETD in UK probably only option. Good luck get spares.Find dealer
    Store Locator Fury looks same they will know GT Fury Spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec
    in black steel Metric shoulder bolts, Allen, Class 12.9 steel black oil finish - Bolt Depot They are called shoulder bolts Shoulder Screws & Stripper Bolts | MSCDirect.com I think they are M6 x M5 .80 pitch then you need the shank length I am sure you can get them get it all measured up and start google
    Thanks for the links! Those Bolt Depot bolts and the GT Fury Bolts look like they would work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hishalls View Post
    You can also try McMaster Carr- they have a huge assortment of fasteners and are reasonably priced. We use them for a supplier where I work.

McMaster-Carr
    I ended up going with McMaster:

McMaster-Carr

Here are the original and new shoulder screws (which are black and silver):
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-imag0471.jpg

Just got them in the mail today and they fit! The hex wrench size is 3mm instead of 4mm, which is fine.

They were $1.37 each (I ordered 4) and 2 day shipping was $7.39, from Georgia to Virginia.

Thanks hishalls!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is the gif from McMaster, with dimensions:

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-alloy-steel-shoulder-screw-diagram.gif

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am having a very hard time getting the bolts out from the dog bone and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Just soaked them in PB Blaster.

Edit-After repeated soakings in PB Blaster I put the heat gun to it and was able to break it free. No cross threads, just some very effective loctite.
    Last edited by mdg3d; 08-18-2014 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Crack in rear triangle

I have noticed a crack in my 2009 Force frame that was purchased in 2010. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with GT? Should I be optimistic or am I SOL???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Sanction and Force reference thread-0307151633.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I haven't had any major issues with my 2008 and it's got over 4000mi on it. I would just take that over to a welder and he'll patch it up good as new. They are still some of the best bikes for the money. Frames are made overseas though so that's the thing we have to accept when paying less. Still love my bike though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yes, it is a common problem, I had similar cracking problem, and some other GT Sanction owners as well. Try to get a new one from the GT through your LBS, or try to contact Taiwanese Ebay sellers, if you are lucky enough you may get a new triangle with a low price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting in such an old thread but I have a problem that I can't resolve(and GT's customer service does not reply);

The problem is: I have a GT Sanction 2.0(2012 model) which I purchased new(stock unsold) last year. Tremendous bike!, I have done everything I can done with it on the mountains. I liked it so much that I've sold all the components from it, currently reassembling it with Pike, Tune Hubs laced on Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Stan's Flow Ex wheels, carbon bars and the list can continue.

Before I can finish the reassembling, I took out the pivots for cleaning(they accumulate a lot of dirt, it seems) but, in the user manual, there is not a single notice about the torque I need to use in putting them back.

I have send 2 messages already to GT customer support but no answer so far(they have a contact form on their web-site).

The question was, does anyone has the original manual(I have a general GT user manual from the bike-shop, not a specific Sanction one) and can tell me how much I should torque back the pivots? - maybe even send me a picture or something, in order to not forget it in the future -

I have tried finding it on the big and wide web but, it seems that only .pdf with Sensor from 2012 are available, not Sanction.

Any reply could be useful and I am thanking you in anticipation.

With best regards,
    Eugen

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Eugen,
    You mean the actual pivot and not the pinch bolts right? If so, the only thing GT ever said about those is hand tight. I have a 2013 GT Force LE which is pretty similar to your Sanction and that has always worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-12032029_10207794390516695_5933227162183974107_n.jpg

Hi and thank you for your reply. I am referring to the large, red ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes. With the pinch bolts loosened insert your allen keys into each size and tighten until they are snug but do not over tighten. Then tighten your pinchbolts to what I think is 70 inch pounds but I can't be sure until I check my bike at home. The torque for the pinch bolts is painted directly on my frame not sure if they did that for the Sanctions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Best best is to call the local performance bike shop and talk to a mechanic. They will know. I want to say it's around 30-40ft/lbs but can't remember

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    GT Sanction and Force reference thread-0316151543.jpg

I would assume yours is similar to my force. My force asks for 70 in lb or 80 cm kg. I attached a picture for your reference. Sorry I cant help any more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thank you guys for your help.

regards,
    Eugen

mtbr member
    @eugeneM
    Think of the frame pivots as being like your headset. They are they identical bearings and need the same firm pressure. So just tighten them firmly like you would your headset and torque the pinch bolts to 70 inch/ lbs

If you look at pics on google you can see it is printed on the newer frames
    " I don't ride park"

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718