Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

GT Sanction 1.0 Setup

I've been spending a lot of time working on the set up for this bike since I purchased it about a month ago and I just wanted to share it as a reference point for others. Granted, your weight and size of the bike may differ but this is just a reference. Plus it would be nice in case I have to ever re-adjust and need my own reference! I've talked to GT and even Hans Rey a little bit about this bike and their right, once setup it's an amazing bike and will handle almost anything..

Rider Specs:
    - Height- 6'1"
    - Weight- 185lbs
    - Style- Climb to decend with some air time
    - Trails- SoCal/Aliso Woods- Rock-it, Stair Steps, Five Oaks, etc

Bike- GT Sanction 1.0, Large
    Changes from stock- Stan's Tubless 28PSI F/R, 0 Shim stack rise, Easton Carbon hi-rise bards, brakes-moto style, Front Nevegal cutoff transition knobs for sandy trails I-Beam SDG with Bel Air SL.

Lyric Fork Setup- 95PSI - Sag is hard to find here but 10PSI less than recommended for your body weight is what I hear from GT.
    -Rebound (red knob) 4 clicks from out (Fast/Rabbit)
    -Hi Speed Compression (Blue knob)- 3 Clicks from Closed
    -Low Spd Compression (Silver knob)-4 Clicks from Closed
    -Gate- (set screw) 1 turn out from closed

Fox DHX Shock- 100PSI- Sag at 30%
    -Platform PSI- 150
    -Rebound- 10 clicks from closed

The bike is already a great climber and GT has told me to leave the FOX pedaling platform off the whole time because it doesn't matter. I disagree with this. While yes, you could leave it untouched, and ride everywhere, setting it high like I have it now really stiffens up the rear and decreases sag which is good for climbing over large rocks where BB clearance might be an issue. And, I like riding it on the road more with it on. It's very close to a hard tail when pedaling.

Here she is.

STINKY TOFU
    Man I love those bikes
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

Dirt Deviant
    I'm thinking about getting the 2.0 for a smaller bike. In Large. I'm 6'4" and would usually ride the XL, but am getting the L so I can have a more flickable ride compared to my BMC Superstroke.
    I'd love to get the 1.0 but can't drop the $$.
    But I think the 2.0 will do for now, till I get UGI with it....LOL
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Dirt Deviant
    I ordered a 2.0 on the 31st.....hope it gets here soon......... = )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Damn that bike is sick! How does it climb compared to a decent XC trail bike? I have an older GT I drive (2005) and it climbs really well, wondering if this bike will hang with as well?

May the Force be with you

Climbs great

Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Damn that bike is sick! How does it climb compared to a decent XC trail bike? I have an older GT I drive (2005) and it climbs really well, wondering if this bike will hang with as well?
    It climbs better for me due to the upgraded suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    anyone know where I can find BB specs, seat post specs, etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody

I climbs amazing. Although it's heavier (32lbs) it climbs better than a hard tail with the Propedal on. I've had to look down several time to make sure the suspension is still working when climbing and it does. You just don't feel a thing, even when you're out of the saddle. It's a great design. But going down is the most fun with 6 inches of travel. It wants to fly much more than my mongoose did and it's a bit heavier.!

underestimate me
    i'm pretty sure that BB is 73mm and seat post is 31.6mm
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just measured it. I work from home... BB is 73mm and the post is 34.9. A bit of advice. Go with a Salsa Seat post clamp if you like to adjust your seat on the fly. The GT one isn't that great. What components are you putting on it?

mtbr member
    Here's mine - Force 3.0, medium size. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs.

Changes from stock:
    Truvative Team Riser bar (680mm length, 25mm rise)
    Ergon GX1 grips
    Hope bar ends (the Ergon cheap plastic plugs kept falling out)
    Avid Elixir CR 180/160 brakes
    Crank Bros Joplin seatpost 31.6mm (sanction post is 34.9??)
    Fizik Gobi XM seat

Still working on setup and not sure about the Acid pedals yet, have a set of shimano 647s to try next. I tried a 70mm stem but felt too cramped in the cockpit and hurt my climbing - a result of going with the medium size (it was a toss-up between the two with my dimensions).

On the wish list is a new fork with an on-the-fly travel adjust (you have to crank many times on the bomber to change the travel).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That is beatiful. I may seriously powdercoat my machine. Love that color combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007
    Just measured it. I work from home... BB is 73mm and the post is 34.9. A bit of advice. Go with a Salsa Seat post clamp if you like to adjust your seat on the fly. The GT one isn't that great. What components are you putting on it?
    seat post appears to be 31.6

I built it with a marz 2006 66 fork, 150 mm, with RC2 dampening AND ETA. It involved combining 2 forks into one, as this combination is not available from marz. I am spoiled on ETA climbing South Mountain, had to have it.

I kept my old XTR shifter/lever combos, and used a new XTR deraileur. Mavic 729 wheels I picked up on ebay, Evolve cranks with bash, some Thompson stuff.

I just went for a tuneup ride, and am working out this creaking thing. I'll try some of the suggestions here.

mtbr member

Frame pricing??

So the GT website now shows a Frameset on the Sanction 1.0 page...any word on pricing? Can't find much on that.
    Thanks--
    JW
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member

Update S.Bird?

Heya Bird,
    So how are you feeling about the M frame? I am also 6' and am not sure which frame size...My goal for this bike is to have something more flickable & jumpable...the M likely...
    any input appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by superbird
    Here's mine - Force 3.0, medium size. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs.

Changes from stock:
    Truvative Team Riser bar (680mm length, 25mm rise)
    Ergon GX1 grips
    Hope bar ends (the Ergon cheap plastic plugs kept falling out)
    Avid Elixir CR 180/160 brakes
    Crank Bros Joplin seatpost 31.6mm (sanction post is 34.9??)
    Fizik Gobi XM seat

Still working on setup and not sure about the Acid pedals yet, have a set of shimano 647s to try next. I tried a 70mm stem but felt too cramped in the cockpit and hurt my climbing - a result of going with the medium size (it was a toss-up between the two with my dimensions).

On the wish list is a new fork with an on-the-fly travel adjust (you have to crank many times on the bomber to change the travel).

Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    I'm really enjoying the medium. definitely more manageable and flickable. fit-wise, i could've gone either way (my last bike was a large) and glad I went a bit smaller.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just got a sanction 2 weeks ago and the pivot creaking is un ****ing believeable. I am afraid to ride the thing at this point. Anyone here work out their creaking issue? It sounds like it is going to snap in half.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Check my other posts in the reference thread. The creaking is easily remedied by applying grease to the rear dropouts. Takes about 10 minutes and I haven't had a problem yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mine is NOT the dropouts. This frame has pivot creaking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Take apart your bike at the suspension pivots. Pull the bearings and grease everything as you put it back together. I mean everywhere that metal touches metal- put some grease on it. My creaking was driving me crazy untill I did this and it hasn't made any noise since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Update on setup- 455 miles gone by

A few updates, nothing serious but may be useful.

After having the shop re-tighten the pivots over 6 months ago and lubing my pivots about the same time, I've had no creaking issues whatsoever. The bike has been a great performer and pedals like a dream with no noise.

After getting the Mission Control replaced under warranty from Performance, I've had no leakage and the fork has performed exceptionally. The only thing I'm noticing is that I'm losing a little of the 2step day by day as the seal which holds it must be degrading slowly. Many shops I've talked to have said that this is very common and the Lyric is just a very complicated fork and tries to do too much. Still, it lowers to about 155mm which does help in climbing. I'll wait till something blows until I get it fixed. At full travel, it's as good as it gets over the rocks.

The rear shock continues to be as plush as ever.

I added a Blackspire Stinger chain guide to help keep the chain from coming off and it works great. It causes a bit of friction on pedaling and back-wheeling but the chain refuses to come off and for $30, it's hard to beat.

I also swapped out the crankset to SLX to shave off a almost a full pound from the Saints but haven't noticed a huge difference.

I switched out the rear tire to a Kenda Small Block 8 here in the winter months and it's helped with my pedaling. It's a faster tire but now that it's starting to dry out here in SoCal, we'll see how it does on the climbs. I'm already noticing the loss in traction but hey, what should I expect?

I also swapped out the XT Cassette and Chain for a SRAM 991 11-34T and 991 Cross Step and it's pretty buttery.

That's pretty much it for now. My next upgrade may be some Mavic or DT 5.1s with Hope hubs but I've got to sell a few things first!

mtbr member
    Just curious what the shock eye to eye length is? a friend of mine put a 2"stroke by 7.5 (eye to eye)...I thought the shock is too short for the frame.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm almost positive it's a 7.875x2.25.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi everybody, I just have one question please !

So I've seen a SANCTION 1.0 on the web, and perhaps it will be my future bike !

But I have a doubt, the top tube is very long for a M size (595mm !) so today I have a NICOLAI Helius FR in M Size which is 585mm long.

my size is 1m78, and I had a Medium YETI Asx, a Medium NICOLAI Helius Fr, a Medium Rocky Element... But 10cm longer on the SANCTION !! ? Schould I find a Small size ?

thanks !

Vincent

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Nah, I thought the same thing and I"m glad I stuck with a large. They do feel much smaller than the top tube would indicate due to the geometry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast