mtbr member

Gt Ruckus 7 2.0, Sizing Question

Nashbar has a great deal going for the Ruckus 2.0 at the moment. I had been eye balling the bike for while, but they are out of mediums. My question is for Ruckus owners on sizing....I have a medium 17" Sanction and it fits me well, I love that bike. Anyways, I have 30.5" inseam and I'm 5-9" tall, anyone around those measurements have any experience on a large Ruckus. I can't find any actual measurements for the frame to compare the over all top tube lengths of the Ruckus 7 and the Sanction.
    I'd be using the Ruckus for freeriding at Angelfire and would really like to be able to pound the pedals for all mountain riding. I would probably keep the RShx Domain @ 180mm and maybe switch it out for a boxxer while at Angelfire. So in a nut shell....what do you think?
    My gut, tells me the small is just going to be way to cramped for pedaling uphill....and my gut is really big, so it must be right. The large might work? I don't know....any input would be much appreciated.
    Usually I would just go down to shop and test ride....but, there no dealers that have any of the Ruckus's in stock.... here anyways. Thx Jeff

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride a med Ruckus and med Force (same TT length as Sanction I believe), I'm 5'10-11"-ish, 32" inseam. Both bikes fit like proverbial gloves but I've been on GT's forever, so I don't know how much is fit vs adaptation. I can say that due to the super slack ST angle on the Ruckus, the TT measurement is going to vary enormously depending on seat height. I could probably fit comfortably on larges with both frames, but I prefer a smaller, whippier feel. Looking at your Sanction setup it appears you run a lower seat but longer stem than me, so you could probably get away with a large frame and maybe a ~50mm stem (I run a 60mm w/ 720mm bars). The Ruckus has a much lower BB than the Force/Sanction so you shouldn't have to pull the seatpost up too high for pedaling, meaning your effective TT should be pretty comfy. And it also means you don't need to drop it for descending/park play as far as you do on the Sanction, so in theory you shouldn't be too cramped when it's down.

Conversely, if I were a couple inches shorter I'd definitely opt for a small; again, I prefer a more compact frame typically - YMMV. And that seat moves waaaay back when it's up in climbing position.

Check out the specs for the Fury Alloy, or whatever they're calling it - if I'm not mistaken, the dimensions should be pretty close to the Ruckus. And while I've never ridden a Boxxer, I can say that the 180mm Totem on my bike NEVER feels outgunned... at least not with me at the helm. I have (had) an iDrive 4 that was my light/fast bike, the Force (set up w/ coil DHX/Lyrik and 135/12mm rear end) for 'everyday', and the Ruckus (set up w/ front der) for big backcountry stuff. On the i4 I felt like I needed to reign myself in, and sure enough broke the frame after ~6 mo of use (searching for replacement - any clean Marathons out there in medium???). On my good days I can get 100% out of the Force - doesn't feel like it's about to break, just working it to the max. But I've only had brief moments of Zen with the Ruckus - rest of the time its limits are way above mine. I think you'll be amazed at the capabilities - even though they're not that different on paper, there's a whole generation gap between Force/Sanction and Ruckus/Fury on dirt.

Good luck, I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever way you go!