mtbr member
    Aug 2008

GT RTS All Terra Mountain Bike with Girvin Vector Forks

Hello, I am the owner of a GT RTS All Terra Mountain Bike with Girvin Vector Forks. I took the bike in to be serviced and was told the the suspension had seen better days. I am thinking about replacing the suspension so that it works optimally again.

I know nothing about suspension so I'd appreciate if if you could tell me the best way to go about improving the suspension cheaply (or at minimal cost). I've read something about converting to a spring instead of the elastomer (which has now gone rock hard).

What do you think?

Side view:

Front view:

Angled view:

Front suspension:

Rear suspension:

Also, how would I go about sorting out etched scratches on the frame and other common ailments that come with a bike of such age to make it look like new?

mtbr member
    you may not like it but my suggestion would be to stick her on ebay posting the status of the mechanics if you wish

and then buying something new - up to you but that would be my move

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    you may not like it but my suggestion would be to stick her on ebay posting the status of the mechanics if you wish

and then buying something new - up to you but that would be my move
    I appreciate your thoughts, but I really like this bike and I want to spruce it up. I am not going to sell it.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish does wonders for the old ball burnished frames. You can get it at any automotive store, (usually where the waxes are). They won't take out any scratches, but it'll clean off all the oxidized aluminum and leave it mirror shiny, literally. That's what I use on my old ball burnished GT's.

As far as the suspension, have you gave k2 a ring and asked them if they have any parts for the fork? K2 bought out girvin and proflex quite awhile ago, but maybe they have some leftover parts or suggestions on how to fix the fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts, I will take these on-board as a possible course of action. You've given me something else to consider.

I will look out for Mothers Mag or Aluminium Polish, I'd still like to hear from someone how I can repair dents etc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any suggestions on cheap, comfortable saddles and cheap, comfortable and soft yet 'grippy' grips?

Sneaker man
    oury grips, there soft and grippy and don't cost lots (from memory)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you, I'll look out for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone know of anyone or anywhere that I can get composite mountain bike wheels cheaply? I'm not sure, but I think the wheels are 22 inch, although they could be 23.

Sneaker man
    cheap AND composite, wouldn't have thought those two words go together at all... and thsy would be 26 inch??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can find replacement elastomers for that fork- look in the K2 forum and with some searching, you can find who is still making them. I remember finding that info when I was researching a specific K2 bike.

Nice bike!