Thread: GT Ricochet

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Ricochet

I just traded an old Haro BMX for this bike but do not really know anything about it.
    I am not sure but I think it is a '98 or 99, and in beautiful shape with the exception of the drive side pedal boss being stripped.
    I know that I will need a new crank.
    Any info or opinions appreciated.
    Thanks
    98? GT Ricochet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Ricochet-gt-side.jpg  

GT Ricochet-gt-front.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Lugi,

I have a 99-00' Ricochet which has been an awesome bike going on 10 years now. Frame was US made and has incredible strength. Taken a few heavy tumbles on it, and just keeps going!

Just dropped it into the bike shop today as over the last year or so, occasional maintenance is becoming more regular. Blown spokes, front derailer shifter losing grip etc, but pretty typical stuff for it's age.

I had some details and original specs on mine somewhere but I can't track it down, will post it if I find it.

Good luck with your new beast!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnyfalcon
    Hi Lugi,

I have a 99-00' Ricochet which has been an awesome bike going on 10 years now. Frame was US made and has incredible strength. Taken a few heavy tumbles on it, and just keeps going!

Just dropped it into the bike shop today as over the last year or so, occasional maintenance is becoming more regular. Blown spokes, front derailer shifter losing grip etc, but pretty typical stuff for it's age.

I had some details and original specs on mine somewhere but I can't track it down, will post it if I find it.

Good luck with your new beast!
    Correction....frame was not American made. Ricochet's were always an import frame,
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is that right :-/ I vaguely remember an American flag on it... oh well. Either way, it was pre GT takeover.

mtbr member
    Yeah but next to that flag in good old English it says either DESIGNED IN So. Cal or the USA. The last I knew designed was not spelled m-a-d-e. You also mean Pre-Schwinn or Pacific take-over?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ah, "Designed in" huh, most things here in Australia are "Designed in" also, pretty sad :-/ And yes once again another error corrected by your good self (GT takeover). Wow my third post on this forum and I've been corrected on all counts :-o

mtbr member
    No worry....Still a great bike!

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Nice to see another old GT still being ridden, looks to be in great shape for its age too. I would ditch the comfort seat though and pickup a saddle thats going to be good for trail riding.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am looking for a few odds and ends that will work out well for me and my riding style.
    Plans do include a new saddle, a new crank, and a new bar and stem. I have already swapped out the RS Indy for an older Noleen Mega Air that still works great with a lot more travel and also is disk compatible, and put a nice set of IRC Mythos K tires on it (although the original Veloceraptors are mint and still have the nubbies on them, they went on my Cannondale Rush for now). I am also thinking of just installing just the 2nd ring and ditching the front der altogether...I'll post the pics when she is all done, but it may be a little while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have that exact bike, it is my groups hook, line, and sinker. Any time we want someone to keep riding that is asking to try a bike we use this one. So far it has hooked 5 riders and lost one. The bike handles great takes a beating and is a nice looking frame as well

Enjoy!
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I own a 1999 GT Ricochet in billet I bought brand new in 2000, and mine was 100% built in the USA. It is made of 7005 heat treated aluminum (the good old days of pre-bankruptcy GT bikes). I recently upgraded the original Rock Shox Jett XC front shock with a new 2009 Rock Shox Reba Team Dual Air w/ 20mm Maxle Lite axle and pushlock remote, a Shimano XTR 20mm center lock front hub, 2010 Avid BB7 6 bolt mechanical brakes 185mm front disc with A2Z AD-CLK kit (center lock to 6 bolt adapter) and 160mm rear disc with A2Z DM-UNI disc brake frame adapter and Shimano XT 6 bolt rear hub. Still have the original WTB Enduro Raptor tires in good shape on new WTB 36h SX24 rims, and Shimano SPD PD-M545 pedals. Everything else is original and in great working shape. This bike is super lite and incredibly tough. Next I am looking to upgrade the stem for a shorter, lighter one, and new WTB Wolverine 2.2 tires. I am new to this forum and need help in how to add pics. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You can upload the pics to this thread in advanced posting and I think you have to resize your pic to something like 1200x900 - it should be right there, I just never upload pics here. Or upload pictures to photobucket or other hosting web site and put the link staring "[img]..." format.

Ricohet was made in overseas I think - it probably says something like designed in Southern California, or assembled in So Cal, or something to that extent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbf7
    I own a 1999 GT Ricochet in billet I bought brand new in 2000, and mine was 100% built in the USA. It is made of 7005 heat treated aluminum (the good old days of pre-bankruptcy GT bikes).
    That's a funny statement because GT didn't weld any 7005 frames in the US. Even the Zaskar Race model from 2000 which was a 7005 frame was built in Taiwan. The models that were USA made in 1999 are clearly stated in the catalog and the lowest priced hardtail model built in the US in 99 was the Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Then the 100% American Built Custom Butted 7000 Heat Treated Aluminum Frame sticker it came with is misleading. I am not looking for an argument, but it is hard to argue something like this unless you get the answers directly from the horses mouth if you get my meaning. If you are such a person, then I'll leave it at that. I would love to post some pics, but need assistance as I am new to this forum. By the way, I have been looking for a 1999 GT Mountain Bike catalog as I lost mine years ago. Any chance you could post pics of the catalog online for all to view? If it is not too much trouble?

Regards

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the help. It has a sticker on it that says it is 100% American Built GT Custom Butted 7000 Heat Treated Aluminum Frame. This is a bit misleading if made in Taiwan, but maybe mine was one of a few built in the U.S.A.. Would need an expert on these GT bikes and the time period to give more insight. Either way, it is an awesome frame and bike.

mtbr member
    Those stickers have been floating around for sale on eBay for years......possible the tubing is American made but nobody was producing a complete bike in the US at that retail price point in the 99-2000 era.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Posting pics - as I have stated above, you have 2 choices:

1) upload pics (resize it down to 1200x900 or so - you know how to do that, correct?) to this forum in Go Advanced button below. It will be attached to your post.

2) register, and upload your pics to a hosting site such as photobucket.com and link the image location by copying the image url starting "[IMG]..." That's an html tagging.

If you still can't figure out how, then you can "send a private message to..." by clicking on my handle name. I'll upload it for you.

Interesting decals (as you are the original owner) GT put on. I'd love to see it. Maybe you were a lucky few, who knows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well here is a couple updated shots of my Ricochet. I recently added a Cannondale C3 Riser Bar and Stem, Nice Deore XT Brakes,platform pedals from a new Specialized Big Hit, and now has a Noleen 100mm Mega Air Front Fork (I painted it Black and handcut the white decals, it used to be white and was on my K2 Razorback). I also painted the original GT seatpost Black to match the fork and bars because it was all scuffed up. The seat is from an old road bike. I put the original Velocoraptors back on and put the original crank on too but the arms are from an old Trek Singletrack and I painted the outer chainring black. Still has the original Mavic 138 Wheels and STX RC Drivetrain. The bike needs a front der(I have the original shifter though in a box) but is insanely light and fast the way it is. I still wish I knew what year this thing is! Possibility that I will be selling it but have no clue what it is even worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Ricochet-misc-pics-015.jpg  

GT Ricochet-misc-pics-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    I still wish I knew what year this thing is! Possibility that I will be selling it but have no clue what it is even worth.
    1998, probably $100 unless someone with sentimental attachment wants it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I thought it was a 98 but was not too sure, Thanks. If it is only worth around $100 then I may as well just keep it. Would like to possibly strip it completely down someday to the bare aluminum because I am not a huge fan of the color scheme, but who knows...
    Honestly what is the real difference between this frame and other GT frames that look almost identical that are worth so much money?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I decided that I hated the way this bike looked so I went a little crazy today!
    Liking it much better now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Ricochet-gt-after.jpg  

GT Ricochet-gt-after-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hu, ok... I like it actually. Sensible color coordination, not bad Lugi. Kind of bold if you ask me, but looks 100% better than original. Is that a spray paint or powdercoat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Hatake.
    Don't laugh but it is actually Rustoleum Satin finish Outdoor furniture spray paint, but I took my time and fortunately the results weren't too bad(anything is better than that hideous factory paint scheme that was on it). I attended the Dirtrag Magazine Dirtfest this weekend in Raystown PA and ended up with a TON of decals from it. I thought they would look pretty good on a bike so this is what I ended up with. I cut the peace signs by hand from white pressure sensitive vinyl. I may remove all of these decals at some point in favor of some new GT Decals but for now it works for me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got an old Ricochet I've been riding for years, and I would like to update it a little. I would appreciate any advice on new components, as I am pretty ignorant as to what can/cannot go on this bike. I am primarily concerned with upgrading the shifters/gears/derailleurs/rear wheel, but would be willing to consider other parts as well if there are some good ideas. I mostly use it for XC riding.

I am also new to posting on forums, so if I am violating some type of etiquette by posting here, please let me know that as well.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Which year ricochet? The 1997 bike is a 7 speed.

If you want to get a new rear wheel you could go to a 8 or 9 speed setup with matching cassette, shifter and derailleur. Any new front derailleur will fit as long as it is the correct clamp diameter and cable pull direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I don't know which year, but I would guess 1999. It has a 9 speed LX cassette.

I guess I am really planning on sticking with Shimano for the groupset since I don't know anything about all of the cool new brands out there. Is there any reason why an XT groupset would not work? Would it have to be some older version of XT or is the newer stuff interchangeable? The main reasons for changing anything is 1. The front derailleur never has functioned well, especially when accessing the smallest chain ring, and 2. I thought a little beefier rear wheel would be helpful, since the rear wheel seems to go out of true a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

maintenance first, I'd say

In that case, I would investigate 1) whether a front derailleur is set up correctly, and b) have a shop rebuild the wheel first. My guess is that the front is clamp angle is a bit off to large ring, or the lower limit screw is set too low, preventing the erailleur from reaching to the small ring. They are both easy fix. I hear there are bunch of them on youtube. On 2), if your wheels are lower quality, if maybe a waste of time having someone true it. Jenson or wheelworld have pretty good deals on rim brake wheelsets, check them out.

Upgrading to XT - you are good to go as long as you stick to the 9-sp parts, and vee-brake lever (assuming you hvae vee). The whole package would ring up about $300 if you hunt for the deals. Add cranksets and it'll be $500. At that point, you may wonder if you should just buy a new bike... Just saying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Thanks for the input

In that case, I would investigate 1) whether a front derailleur is set up correctly, and b) have a shop rebuild the wheel first.

I did check out the LBS about rebuilding the wheel . . . they were going to charge way more than the wheel was worth. I just figure that the front wheel has the shock to take some of the punishment and that's why it stays true while the same rim on the rear doesn't. I might try just getting heavier spokes for it and try my hand at rebuilding it myself. Might end up with a rectangular wheel though

At that point, you may wonder if you should just buy a new bike... Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Very true, and I did buy a new(ish) bike But I still like my old ricochet though and plan on riding it still. You're price estimates sound about right though. I've been looking around Craigslist for old bikes to scavenge parts off of and for around $500 I can get a bike with the XT groupset, new wheels, and a new fork. And yes, you're right, probably a waste to spend that much on the old ricochet

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey I was just being a devil's advocate since I kicked myself later on so many times. But if you are emotionally attached to the bike, by all means go for it.

Take a look at Sheldon Brown web site for the basics of wheel building. My 2nd wheel turned out decent (maybe 1mm off in all directions) by following his advises. Even tension is the key to long lasting wheels... Scary first, but it gets fun. just take it slow, give it a couple of separate days to really true it. Kind of like writing complicated piece of codes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hatake - thanks for your responses. I did get your intention, and I pretty much agree with you. I was actually at my LBS today and saw a bike on display that could easily replace my Ricochet at a price that makes your suggestion seem like very good advice. I thought I would have to pay a lot more for a new bike than what they were asking for a very nice new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just picked up one of these things for 90$ off craigslist because thats all I could afford. Pretty much identical to the original poster's, except with a few more scuffs... really like it so far. My first real mountain bike . Well, maybe not by todays standards..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I took the "Dirt Rag" bike out for it's maiden voyage the other day and it performed perfectly. The older drivetrain works like a charm, and the XT brakes were great. New front derailleur worked flawlessly. However I did realize after about an hour that it may just be a touch too small for me so I am not sure if I will be keeping it or not. Was actually offered a pretty good price for it the other day so I am considering letting it go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My first "real" mountain bike was a 1997 GT Ricochet which I bought new for $750.00. Rode the hell out of it until I got a full-suspension, then it became a commuter, then eventually I gave it to my brother. It's been sitting in his garage for years with boxes and junk piled over it. I finally got it back and built it up into a singlespeed.

It currently has a Fox Float RL 120mm fork on it until I can find a nice used 80 or 100mm fork, or I might go full rigid. I inverted the stem which seems to have mellowed the twitchyness from the long travel.
    Notice the welds near the seatpost clamp - I cracked it in 2001.

Might do a rattle-can paint job this weekend to pretty it up.

Rode it around last night and it was a lot of fun! Great to be back on the bike which started my love for mountain biking.

GT Ricochet-img_5254.jpgGT Ricochet-img_5253.jpgGT Ricochet-img_5252.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 3