mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Pantera. Any info?

I am new to this forum and I have recently taken up biking after a very long stretch off. I was never all that serious about it but my knee has been rebuilt 3 times and I am going to try it out again. Anyway, I picked this GT Pantera up off of Craigslist. Does anyone know the year? I think it may be a 1996, not sure. I know this is stretching it but one of the pics is of the label on the front fork. Any ideas what company is it? I need a new suspension fork and a new crankset. Any advice? I'm about to take this bike apart to restore it. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Serial number will help determine the year. If it is a Pantera it would be a 96 model year due to the color all years previous to 96 were painted colors.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike but I converted it over to single speed andi t rides great. I thought the rear was going to be a rough ride without a suspension post but that little triangle takes care of that. I believe that you are correct that your bike is a 1996, mine is and the decals are identical to yours

Ken

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Pantera

Just pulled my '95 GT Pantera off the hooks in the garage and started back into hitting the trails. The technology has changed quite a bit in the last decade. I went to the local bike shop to see about upgrading my Rock Shox Judy XC and they said that I might as well buy a new bike. Maybe next season, for now I just bought a new coil spring set up for my Judys off of Ebay. I got my eyes on a new full suspension bike with disc brakes though.

Downhill fan
    That bike looks so much like my 1995 Rebound right down to the handle bars with built in bar ends (the all 1 unit bar). I have been getting kind of the same response about just upgrading to a newer bike. I cant help it though, I like the way it rides. I say... do some upgrades anyway.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    May 2006

Options...

I too have that bike's twin in the stable, set up for SS work. The frames just keep on going. If you want to upgrade, do it. So long as there are still good 80mm forks around you have good choices anything bigger makes it much too slack for my taste.

You won't be creating any re-sale value, but will be giving yourself a great bike to ride. That is what we do this for, right?
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here's mine. Bought it new - rode it frequently for a few years and then hung it up. Dusted it off recently when my buddy/neighbor bought a new Avalanche 1.0 disc. I've got an itch to replace it now. I've been toying with keeping the frame and getting new components - but it will cost the same as buying a new one. Even though it's 10+ years old and a 7005 frame, it looks as good as the current frames. I've got ten years of catching up w/ the industry to do now before I bite the bullet. I really like my friends Avalanche, but I don't think it is in the same class as it was back in '96. If I recall correctly, I think I paid over or close to a grand for it w/ the fork. I was dumb and couldn't wait a couple months to afford one with the Q21r, so I bought the bike and six months later paid a pretty penny for the fork. The seats not orig, don't know what happened to it.

I think it's a '96, I can't remember. I'd really like to keep it and upgrade the components, for sentimental reasons. I just don't know where to start, or like I said, practical to do so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Pantera

Quote Originally Posted by OhioMTB
    Just pulled my '95 GT Pantera off the hooks in the garage and started back into hitting the trails. The technology has changed quite a bit in the last decade. I went to the local bike shop to see about upgrading my Rock Shox Judy XC and they said that I might as well buy a new bike. Maybe next season, for now I just bought a new coil spring set up for my Judys off of Ebay. I got my eyes on a new full suspension bike with disc brakes though.
    I am bummed out, I cracked the head tube on my Pantera today. I am going to see if it can be welded. If not, I guess I am in the market for another frame. I seen some Zaskar frames on ebay. Anybody know of a replacement Pantera frame for sale?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    dang...i used to have one of these and want another really bad.

Anyone want to sell if they are upgrading? Id love to find another one.