mtbr member

GT Pantera 1996 Rebuild

Hi guys just thought I'd put a few pics of my 1996 Pantera rebuild with NOS STX-RC Groupset plus other parts. Bikes like new again. Another GT saved for the future
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Nice work, that ride brings back memories. I had the same one but my Indy on the front was white. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Gadro, you got 7 speed STX there?

mtbr member
    Yep full 7 speed STX-RC groupset. NOS parts sourced right here in the UK. Took a bit of searching but was finally able to outbid some others on eBay UK. Shifter / Brake combi's were a nightmare to find but finally got some still in the box!! Stumbled across the crankset at pinkbike. New in Box and only paid 15 for it !!!!

Sourced the decals from the USA impossible to get this side of the Atlantic

Here's a couple of pics of what the bike used to look like. Before and after shots of the Old and New Cranksets shows the difference the best.(the modern wheel was only temp) Another GT saved fof the future

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine of the same vintage is currently serving the fleet as the 26er SS. Gotta love the 'diehardedness' of those frames!

Enjoy the reincarnation, and ride her hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice finds, Gadro. I haven't seen 7sp shifters for a while, not that I'm looking hard. You certainly have a passion to source these rare stuff. Looks like you took time polishing that frame. Aaaand it looks like you got another one going in the background. Or maybe a parts bike. Single bolt hanger...mmm what could that be :-) Keep it going!

mtbr member
    My 1998 Timberline has an 8-speed STX rear derailleur and Suntour crankset. Where does the STX line stand in the Shimano component line-up? I was thinking of putting in an 9-spd LX rear derailleur that I have in my parts bin, but if the STX is fine then I'll leave it on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pretty sure STX used to sit just below Deore LX. It was replaced by the standard Deore group.
    I love the old gear and would probably personally leave the STX on it for that reason, but LX is a better mech.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

my pantera

your not the only one out there with a shiny pantera. I think mine is a 1998. has a mix of new deore and original stx.

mtbr member
    Nice and shiny

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i like the shiney ones. mines painted. wish i had some old pic's of it looks loads better now i've updated it

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi Gadro,

Hope it gets used in the Welsh hills

I had a blue pantera from around the same period. It is still going strong and is now my dads steed

Cracking bikes. Thinks mine was around 630 in 1996 or so, so not cheap.

Then I spent another 300 (iirc) on some Quadra 21 forks. Worst money I'd ever spent

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great job with the rebuild! I had that exact bike in 96 with the chromo fork. One of my favorite bikes I've owned!

Enjoy your GT!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies - appreciated. This is the 2nd Pantera I've owned and I must say BITD it was considered to be a very nice mid range bike. I've tried to keep it as original as possible with only a few little tweaks here and there.

Sourcing such NOS mid range components is getting increasingly hard as I think only the higher end kit was put on the back shelf for future rainy days, and a lot of the other stuff was trashed with stock clearances.

Twonks it is and has been used since the build, and is a nice responsive runner. I didn't build the bike as a show-piece but built it to remind myself how good GT used to be at getting the basics right. Raises a few looks out and about on the Beacons and brings back a lot of memories to a lot of us 30 somethings

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shiny

What'd you use to polish the frame? I have the same bike, only it's got no front suspension. Mine is dull too and I wanted to shine it up, but didn't want to ruin the finish.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Whats the difference between the pantera's and Avalanches?

Avalanche higher spec's but made in Taiwan?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    http://www.eastwood.com/buff-bobs-1-...-5-pc-kit.html

First I used these hard felt buffers to remove the heavy pitting and grime, then I went over it with a soft buff wheel to give a nice even finish. I used them in a high speed die grinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Pantera 1996 Rebuild-bike-rebuild-008-fixed.jpg  

GT Pantera 1996 Rebuild-final-bike-assembly-011-small.jpg