mtbr member
    May 2008

GT Model ID Help!

Picked this bike up at Auction recently and from the best of my ability I can't find any info about it on GT's site or on the Internet.

The best I can tell it's a iDrive 5.0 size. Medium with Rock Shox in the front and a Fox Float in the back.

Some help clearly identifying the model would be a big help; all the pics I find on search engine don't look anything like my bike.

Pic:

Thanks, Erik

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think your bike is a 2001 GT I-Drive 5.0 I used to have a 2000 GT xcr4000 in the flat black and I remember that when the new models came in, they went to .0 instead of all the zeros at the end, and that the 5.0 got the flat black instead of the 4.0. Your frame is the lowest on the totem pole (1.0 is better than a 5.0) but yours has better components than the stock 5.0 so you should be good to go. It's a good ride dude, have fun with it.

What could go wrong ...
    yeah I really like the blacked out look ... but whats up with the seatpost?
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    yeah I really like the blacked out look ... but whats up with the seatpost?
    yah I took it off to change the seat and to hack down the post itself cuz I'm a pretty short guy only 5'7" and the post was hitting the rear shock when I first got on it...

I thought it put it back on backwards? did I?

What could go wrong ...
    Yes from what I can see in the picture the seatpost looks backwards and if you need to run it that low maybe the frame is to big for you ... but if you like the fit thats all that matters
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Front Range, Colorado
    Good eye gt jorgito you said everything that I was going to say. A 2001 5.0 which is at the bottom of the line. But with upgraded components so it should be good to go. Looks like it is tip top shape as well. Go enjoy the old i-Drive design IMO a sweet design. Except for the possibility of it cracking at the seat post tower. Ride it and enjoy it and when it cracks just buy a new frame and switch over parts.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A