mtbr member

Gt marathon 9r, has anyone seen one?

I called pretty much ever GT dealer in Colorado, and no one has any in stock, or has seen them, for that matter.

I'm thinking about buying one, but I can't find any reviews, or anyone who has one.

If you have one, please let me know what you think of it.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

We have one in stock

My store has one in stock (it is a Med). Seems to be a very nice bike. Only parking lot tested. I believe GT only made a limited run of these bikes but I am not 100% sure about that.

mtbr member
    The only thing I've heard about it was from Guitar Ted, and it was that 1) it doesn't have enough front rake so the steering is too, and 2) the leverage ratio in the back means you blow through the travel too quickly.

I wasn't entirely sure why Guitar Ted couldn't stiffen up the shock enough to prevent the rear end issues, but it's a lot harder to fix the front end issues.

mtbr member

Marathon 9r test ride ...

I will be going on a 20 + mile ride on this bike in the morning.

I can let you know what how it works.

Brian

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I test rode the marathon 9r (medium). At first I thought it blew through the travel too, but after adjusting the air pressure and the floodgate on the shock, it seemed pretty darn good. It looks like it will be my race bike this year, if my LBS can get a Large one. I am torn though, cuz I REALLY like my Santa Cruz Superlight. I just may keep my SL because it wouldn't necessarily make sense to sell it cuz I probably couldnt get enough for it selling it to make it worth while.. Who knows....

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering a Peace Multi.
    I needed to get a new cyclocross rig also, so I think it'll be a decent (and heavy) compromise between a new CX bike and 29er mtb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

GT marathon 9r

I am thinking about buying a GT marathon 9r. What did you think about the one you rode? I am going to do some xc racing with it. It is not a boat anchor is it?

mtbr member
    BrianJra? did you get eaten on your ride? Looking for a ride report on this bike
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

mtbr member
    After a month of borrowing Brian @ JRA's loaner and another brand, I bought the GT.
    Out of the box, I didn't have to change a thing.
    It shifts great, climbs great and after spending some time on setting up the Reba, has the perfect ride.
    It has a very compact frame and low toptube. That's what sold me on the bike.

Oh Yea! I did change the tires to a more New England friendly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I bought this bike a couple months ago and abo****ely enjoy riding it. Uphills, downhills, it has all been great. Purchased mine at a shop in Dacula, GA (Knight Bikes and Skateboards - owner and mechanics are great!)