mtbr member
    Mar 2008

GT LTS, not sure which model

Just bought this off ebay, can anyone tell me which model LTS it is? I think it's a 1997 model. I didn't get it yet, the seller said the front shocks were painted and can't tell which model they are. He said the rear derailer is an STX. I think it's a LTS-4.

Can anyone help.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

GT LTS Hoarder
    Looks like a 1997 LTS-3 to me with all the decals stripped off of it. In '97 they either came in either a gray frame or ball burnished, with most of the components spec'd with Shimano STX-RC. I believe they came with a long travel rock shox indy xc and the rear shock was rock shox deluxe. You got a pretty clean lookin' bike. But I don't think it could be a 97 LTS-4 because they had the elastomer rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I appreciate the response. I picked it up of Ebay for $270. Always wanted one we they came out, just couldn't afford the price tag. What's your opinion of the bike. I'll probably upgrade most if not all the components to atleast XT.

THanks

GT LTS Hoarder
    Even though shocks and full suspension frame designs have come a long way and improved a bunch, I've always liked the looks and the design of the LTS and still use one as a primary bike. If you love sprints or are an aggressive-out-of-the-saddle, hammering climber, it'll punish you with pedal feedback, so just shift your weight forward, find a good gear and it'll grind up even the rockiest of climbs. It rails in downhill sections, just watch out for brake jack. Overall, it's still a good bike, much better than the unified rear triangle designs that dominated the time when it was out.

Like all old f/s designs, it's always going to be handicapped by lack of spare parts. There's still a few companies like Betd and Milwaulkee Bicycle Co. that still advertise for spares, but it doesn't take long for it to get very expen$ive, but then again, if anything will wear out on your bike it'll probably only be the bushings. If anything breaks...well, you'll probably have to do quite a bit of searching for replacement parts. Or just find another bike. Welcome to the joys of owning a older bike.

So just get out there and enjoy the ride and if you take care of it and it'll take care of you.

-john

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I had one for a long time and always thought it was a great bike. You just have to learn to ride very smoothly on climbs and flats. The bike doesn't respond well to hammering or out of the saddle stuff. As someone else has said, it's great on downhills as it is very plush. The only negative is the brake jack. I think the LTS was probably the plushest FS bike I've owned, not the most efficient, but it was plush. The FS bikes I've owned since then pedal great due to platform shocks and more efficient designs, but they don't quite take the hits as well.

Make sure all the pivots stay tight. The ones on mine had a tendency to work loose.

Quote Originally Posted by mhubert
    I appreciate the response. I picked it up of Ebay for $270. Always wanted one we they came out, just couldn't afford the price tag. What's your opinion of the bike. I'll probably upgrade most if not all the components to atleast XT.

THanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Just scored a LTS3

Hi All,
    A mate of mine was at the local market and spied a LTS3 same set up as this.

But we are missing the rear shock! Any ideas on where I can find a replacement and any alternatives?

The plan to do this as a SS bike which should make it a fun ride.

29er you just know when ur ready!!!!