mtbr member
    Mar 2008

gt lts-2 upgrade

Hello, I own a gt lts-2. I would like to get a new fork for it as mine is shot. Also the bike shifts really funny. i think the derailuers are shot. can i just buy new derailers and will they fit?

Like i cant find anywhere that tells me what size parts can be put on this thing.. I think i need new derailuers. new cassettes and a new crankset. because there are missing teeth on the gears which is why it drops the chain so much when shifting.

any ideas?

mtbr member
    You could send your current fork in to Hippee Tech and have it rebuilt. Are you sure the shifting aren't just needed adjustments? There are teeth on the cassette and crankset that are suppose to be shorter than the rest. They act as access points for the chain to shift easier. If it's not shifting well because it's been ridden hard and parts are worn out start with a new chain and the cassette and a tune up if that doesn't do it then get some new chainrings or a new crank set.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you have never replaced your drivetrain then go ahead and get everything if you have the cash to do it. If you don't have the cash then gm123 has the right idea, start with the cables and cable sleeve as well as the cassette and chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yeah none of it has ever been replaced.. ive had the bike tuned several times. I'm going to take the whole thing apart and clean and lube up all the parts first to see how that does it. The fork I'm just going to buy a rock shocks dart 2 or something cheap.

So as far as upgrades go cranksets and deraileurs are basicly standard as far as sizes go. like these new parts should fit on my bike right?

mtbr member
    ''I'm just going to buy a rock shocks dart 2 or something cheap.''

If you just buy a Dart 2 or something cheap, it won't be an upgrade, it will just be another fork. You don't sound like you know much about any of this, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just think you should take the bike to a good bike shop and have them evaluate what it needs and what it will cost you.

Don't just go buy stuff and slap it on. It won't help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    its true I do not know much about bike parts. Although I really just wanted to replace the broken parts. The bike is old, i shouldnt have said "upgrade".

either way though i took the entire thing apart. cleaned all the joints and such and lubed her all up. the fork turned out to not be shot. It just needed a good cleaning. The bike is riding like new now im pretty happy with it.

Now i need to save up for a new more rugged rig.

thanks everyone for your replies