Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...

folks I came across a GT LTS-1 not long ago with hopes to revamp it. Something about the bike had me drawn to it... so I want to make it nice and have it stand out. Hope you smart guys can get me pointed to the right things..

Over all its nice and tight, I do need a few things and have started looking.

So far I have ordered a new old stock sticker kit (red letter instead of yellow) thinking of adding more red to it as I bring it back to life.

Also ordered a bushing kit (for now - BETD soon) but I need to know if it will fit.. the kit I got off ebay says 1997... will it work? See pics.

I need new tires... can you folks recommend some... looking to add some red to the bike... red and yellow would be cool.

Notice the damaged bottom bushing... its not as bad as it looks, but its not right.
    Pics are coming... this is all I have for now...

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpgGT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpgGT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpgName:  55b7_1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  16.5 KBGT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpgName:  01616_eQgPVB7PY3b_600x450.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  27.7 KBName:  00B0B_ffd9HjnygqV_600x450.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  27.9 KBGT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpgGT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-%24_57.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-%24_571.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Red tires are for kids bikes. For parts that actually require performance (like tires) color should be your last consideration.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yup, I'm ok with that... I guess to be clear I was just looking for some feedback on any tire for me to look for... Not looking for a red tire... just meant that if it had some red on it that it would be cool.

mtbr member
    You could always do red rims, that'd be punchy. Last red tires I can think of were the Panaracer Fire tires...not good.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    what is a good brand tire that works well... Any recommendations... all black is fine as well... I am not a super hard core rider, just trails with the kids these days... Agn, I am just looking to revive this bike... I like it, and love to tinker with things... I would love to make it new agn is all.

How about the MAXXIS... I haven't been into these for a long time... looking for help is all so I don't buy junk.

Sneaker man
    panaracer smokes

and get a decent seat
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good luck with restoration. This is a good tire that has lots of red in it.

Type in google panaracer fire xc pro red.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the tire recommendation... On my list. Nice of you to point it out. I ended up going with the same yellow decals I figured I might as well try to get it back to original. He had the full kit minus the lts-1 for the upper bar... You folks know where I can score those? Also can someone educate me as to what each bushing area is called? I want to replace the bushing for the rear triangle near the cranks (bottom pivot ). I want to do the bearings but need to save up, looking for a spare off someone till then... Or I will just hold off till I can replace. You can see above it has a notch in the bushing... Looks jacked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Is this a good one, seems like it would be good to have a folding tire so you can have extra on the trail...

Panaracer Fire XC Folding Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You wouldn't carry an extra tire with you while riding, extra tube is all you need. The "folding tire" description tells you that the bead is likely kevlar or something other than wire bead. Wire bead is less desireable due to weight. I buy whatever is on sale myself.
    "save a plant, eat an animal"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes that is a good tire, depending on where you ride. If you mainly ride on the road there is better ones.

If you see some dirt, it will treat you well.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks guys... This gives me a few things to work on for now... I will post pics as I go...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone know of a diagram for a 1996 GT LTS so I can see what the pivot points look like? I am wondering if the bottom has the cone shaped bushings or the tube like bushing.

I want to replace it - even though I am going to order the BETD kit... I want backups of whatever I can find.

Sneaker man
    this one tells you which bearings are which... by havinf the kits, front linkage, rear linkage, main bearing and horst link bearing.

GT Lts and Sts spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

you should be able to figure it out from that msaybe.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks... I have plenty to do and order... I hope some of those bushing work I got off eBay... I plan to order the BETF main bearing kit for starters... then add as I go. I have the decal kit on the way (original New Old Stock) - Still need to find the LTS-1 sticker... Once I get some work done I will post pics...

thanks for everyone's help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There's an adapter kit that is available on ebay (I think, $27) that requires you to drill two holes in the rear dropout, so that this disc-brake plate will give you DISC brakes for your LTS. And of course, you'll have to have a front shock that will allow disc as well, and then upgrade your wheelset. But that is about all it takes to make this into a first-class mtb. The rear swingarm dynamics are truely adjustable and eliminates chain-tension problems. There's a tutorial on You-Tube that is a great piece of knowledge regarding all your adjustments to suspension. Congrats~~!.... I'm looking for one TOO~!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey man... Thanks for this info!!! I will look into this, is it the a-z bracket? Too bad someone out there isn't able to weld on a caliper bracket...

nice of you to let me know how to upgrade the brakes... that will also go on my list.

Sneaker man
    I don't understand, the guy has said a couple of times he wants to try to get it somewhere near original and only want to ride easy stuff and you're telling him to drill holes in it and go through all the hoops to get discs on there? Not that it can't work I'm sure there have been a few done.
    As to welding on a tab, the stays are beefy, but who knows how much force they can take, I think there were some later ones wit the tabs on already, but then they may have also beefed up the stay (or not). Usually when peopel do it they put in an extra brace between the stays...of course that won't work on a linkage FS bike/.

Anyway to the OP hopefully you can sort out the bushings OK, get out the metal polish and give it a good going over, it'll come up all shinney.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks... I don't want to do any damage... sounds like I need to read up... This is the second bike I have that I restored... First was a road bike. Not 100% original but close... I'm ok with doing things that make sense when cleaning these things up (like the BETD kits) but yeah over all I like it to be original... Please keep throwing me ideas... I haven't worked on bikes in a while... trying to build up parts and get tools so I can tinker on the side... I don't know much about these FS bikes... but for some reason this one caught my attention. I want it to end up nice.

thanks agn for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-1.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    OK, I decided to get a head start today... decals showed up... they look nice. I took off the crank arms and wheels to get a look at that bottom pivot... its junk, part of the bushing fell off while pulling it out. So now I need to order the BETD bottom main kit I guess... since I cant find just the one part.

Also there is some nasty chain rub on the bottom chain stay... Guess I will file it over a tad so its flat but I cant flatten it out, I'm afraid to remove too much metal. I will be looking for a clean replacement for the bikes future.

All the other bushings are actually nice and snug... but I will replace what ever I can when the kit shows up.

I also scored some ROCKSHOX Judy XC replacement stickers (on the way).

thought ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-photo-1.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-photo-2.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-photo-81.jpg  

GT LTS-1 Time to clean it up - help a guy out...-photo-91.jpg  

Last edited by myrddin; 03-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Sneaker man
    Being yellow, those judys should be SL's not XC's... XC's were silvery colour, but who knows what they did with OEM
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for that... Good thing the decal kit comes with XC and SL... I will do some research on that... Tomorrow I plan to start polishing while I wait for the bushings... If I can't find a replacement for the main pivot, I will need to order the BETD set. Even if I do get the. B eTD set I want the original as a fall back. More pics when I have something interesting to show.

Sneaker man
    SL would have titanium bits on them, brake studs and things, you'd ahve to look up the specs to check.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

disc brakes again

Just for your consideration... (about the brake upgrade possibility). You both have a legititemate point about "maintaining the purity" of the original bike. And if the holes to be drilled for the disc-bracket were big, I'd worry about weakening the dropout. I'd personally drill AND use super-adhesive, so the bracket adds to the overall strength. But for me, the advantages of discs, outweigh any disadvantages. I've had rims blow out from V-brake wear, which gradually eats away at the sidewalls of your wheelset. This will never happen with disc brakes. Also, if you take a hit on the trails and nudge your rims out've true, you are somewhat screwed with V-brakes (as to their functionality), but disc brakes are not affected by wheel-trueness. The difference in performance between disc and V-brakes is amazing too. Something like the Avid BB-7 is plenty durable, adjustable, easy to maintain and besides, who needs something so powerful, it just puts you over the handlebars or breaks traction in your tires? Once you've gotten used to disc, it's hard to go back to rimbrakes and I suppose alot've people would love this bike, except that they never had disc-frames. It sure is a tastey piece of technology for it's day. I'm not necessarily "recommending" that you upgrade....just putting all the information in front of you, so you can best decide. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Dannyohyeah; 03-06-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: mis-spell

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    all good points, I agree with your thoughts... I plan to research more... who knows what I will do, all depends on what parts I need and how the bike turns out. I want it to be close to original on the outside, but upgrade what is not available anymore or fix some flaws that make sense (like BETD kits)... will see... this frame is not 100% perfect, which is a bummer... 1 or 2 small dings, and the chain stay has rub one it... same for the normal cable rub areas... I will polish it up and see what it looks like after and decide from there.

never the less thanks for your thoughts... I hope more folks voice an opinion.. helps me decide on what to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast