mtbr member

GT Karakoram Q's

Hello,
    I have a 1st year Karakoram, originally in crinkle black over white. This is the Japanese made bike. I believe the second year production went to Taiwan but the crinkle paint stayed for one more year. At any rate, I pulled all the stickers years ago for a repaint and am now wondering what steel was used. If anyone knows the geometry that would be helpful too. I think I remember the head angle was 71*, which was a lil steeper than most at the time.

Given the horizontal drops, I'm thinkin SS.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare
    Hello,
    I have a 1st year Karakoram, originally in crinkle black over white. This is the Japanese made bike. I believe the second year production went to Taiwan but the crinkle paint stayed for one more year. At any rate, I pulled all the stickers years ago for a repaint and am now wondering what steel was used. If anyone knows the geometry that would be helpful too. I think I remember the head angle was 71*, which was a lil steeper than most at the time.

Given the horizontal drops, I'm thinkin SS.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris...I just posted a reply to you in the VRC thread with the original catalog pic. The frame angles were 70/74 on the 1988 model. Tange MTB Double Butted tubing.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member

In Re Karakorum

Thanks gm1230126, that's what I was looking for...ride on!
    C

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Chris - post some pics when you get it done.
    I've got a 99% original '89 Karakoram - pics are here.

mtbr member
    Will do on the pics - but I can't promise much. This was my go anywhere bike - and it was rough to begin with. I bought it as a frameset from a police auction after sitting outside in a police yard for at least a year, I would guess. I then painted the frame to look worse. I think it will make a good SS beater. I bet it will be fun too!
    Regards,
    Chris