mtbr member
    Aug 2012

GT Karakoram 4.0 29er...good price?

So I am wanting to upgrade to a new bike and wanting to try a 29er. My LBS has a sale on this bike...

GT Karakoram 4.0 29er Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes

For $400 should I look around more? I mostly ride for fun so I dont race or go too intense. Just started getting into mtn biking about 6 weeks ago and am looking for more than my Trek 820.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just picked up a 2012 Karakoram 3.0 for $500 at my LBS and am really happy with it so far. I would think for $400 the 4.0 is a good deal. You may try to get them to come down a little but they may not. I would ask them to take it for a ride and if your happy with the way it feels buy it. The important thing is your happy with it for the money you spent.

mtbr member
    $400 is a pretty good deal, I'd get it. It's not much less ( part-wise) than the 3.0, and your gonna tear both up. I have the 3.0 and it's awesome but can't seem to take my punishment.

Edit: does the one at your lbs have disc brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by droc089 View Post
    $400 is a pretty good deal, I'd get it. It's not much less ( part-wise) than the 3.0, and your gonna tear both up. I have the 3.0 and it's awesome but can't seem to take my punishment.

Edit: does the one at your lbs have disc brakes?
    Im looking at the same bike and curious what parts are giving out on you.

mtbr member
    The fork needed rebuilt and the drive train has always had it's little issues, but just recently had to replace the whole thing due to wear. Both were pretty late into the year and had at least 400/500 miles on it before major problems arose. Without the issues though (every bike will need to be repair at some point) it's a very nice bike and got me into the sport. Will be keeping it as a back-up/extra for a friend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok thats what i expected. My plan is to buy an entry level 29er maybe the 4.0 and upgrade as i see fit. If I can get a year out of a fork then upgrade it that will be just fine with me. As long as the frame was good to ya and you didnt have problems right off the start. I work at a fab shop so im not afraid to turn a wrench.

right now im new again to the sport and even my $50 craigslist bike can take what i can give it lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Smile

I went to local shop it has these bike for $400:00 when I ask about an entry level bike That I'm else looking now, the sales rep. said that this bike it was not recommended for trail, it was not made with the components right for it, and he recommend me a Diamondback for $600:00, else he said that I should be looking for a disc brake not V brake, I was a little confused for a moment, but I don't really like to ask a sales rep, questions about how good or bad the product can be because a lot of them only want to sale not really help costumers with what they looking for. Btw I'm still waiting to take a decision what to buy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    @martinezS. is your lbs performance? Just some disclosure: diamondback is their brand. So a little conflict of interest. I am also looking for an entry level 29er. I already have fully suspension 26er but wanted to try out the 29er and also use it as a backup bike. I saw the diamond bike for $600 and its is pretty good. It had a better shock (with lockout if I remember correctly) and had mech disc brakes. But it felt heavier than the GT when I weighed them. Prolly the disc brakes/shock added some weight. But I am leaning toward the GT Kark 4.0. The difference between the brakes is that when your wheels get wet, the disc grips better than the v. Also the stopping power is a little better. But really it also depends (to a greater extent) to factors like trails you will be riding on and also (trying to politically correct here) weight of the rider. If you are like me scrawny then v brakes will be fine.
    My only concern with the GT is the shock. I dont do jumps/drops more than 3ft so I think the 100 mm travel will not be a problem. But I havent had too much xp with suntour shocks. On the floor model I had to turn the preload all the way to the + side to match my style. The shock might be the one think I need to switch out once I get it. I got the okay to buy the GT Kark 4.0 from my wife. So might just go ahead and purchase it. I will also check out motobecane. I bought a 26 MotoB HT before I had my current bike and I wasnt disappointed. Downside, assembly required, shipping. Also didnt like the bike geometry. But as a backup bike, i might not care.

Edit: Misspoke about diamondback. They are not affiliated with performance.
    Last edited by ultramonkey; 10-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Went to my local bike shop and test rode a GT 4.0. I like the ride, but the price was
    $610. Which after doing some research seems to be a bit high versus what I have seen on the web or on this site. Although I am not sure if this was a 2012 or 2013. Does $610 seem to be on the high side. This will be my first MTB and I still have not ruled out other brands such as specialized, trek, felt or cannodale.
    thanks

mtbr member
    If it's a 2012 that's way high, but 2013 that's the MSRP. They could maybe drop it a bit if you talk to them a bit. I paid over MSRP for my 3.0 last year, including tax and what not, at my LBS. I paid premium price but get it in service. They hook me up with a lot of free tune ups, fixes and prices on stuff, so paying higher might help in the end.

With that said, out of the brands you named I think you'll get a better bike for the price with GT. A few of them brands, you pay $100's extra just because of the brand name.
    Last edited by droc089; 11-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Double Post

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I found a 2012 GT L KK 2.0 for $650 @ REI. I pounced on it. See if you can find them around your location. Performance is selling 2.0 for $800(799) currently. But I saw a 4.0 for $400 (399) @ performance bikes.
    Key upgrades over 4.0 are componentry, shocks
    Extremely pleased with it. I found that the handlebars were too wide. I sawed off 1" on either side and now it fits me perfect (5'11). I also converted tires to tubeless using ghetto style. Been 1 day on tubeless and so far so good. I also left a review on 2.0 GT KK.

mtbr member
    ^that too. I'm guessing your LBS is a GT dealer. Try and see if they can get some 2012's from GT. You can possibly get a better bike for the same price as this years 4.0, I just ordered a 2012 Zaskar Elite through my bike shop when I intended to go in to get this year Comp version.