Thread: Gt Idxc 4.0

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Gt Idxc 4.0

I am looking at an 2005 gt idxc 4.0

what do you think.
    anybody out there have one?

can you still get parts for these bikes if you have a problem.

I am also condidering a Jamis Dakota AL ( 04 hardtail) that is about the same price (better components, but a hardtail) and a Marin Eldridge grade (steel 06) (but it is a bit more than I want to spend.

the price is pretty close between them.

what to do?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got an 2005 IDXC 2.0. Parts are the same as on current 2006 and 2007 models. Just ordered a new main cap ($5 part) recently after the soft aluminium burred. The pivots use standard headseat parts (bearings etc). Makes it one of the "cleverer" pivot designs out there because you don't have to rely on the manufacturer always being able to produce the parts. Can't comment on the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    are you happy witht the bike?

Do you think I should jump on this for $670 or would be better of buting a lightweight hardtail with better components?

I am into just basic trail riding but like to have nice stuff. I am 35 and weigh 160#s.

New GT 6061 Butted Aluminum IDXC Full Suspension Frame w/ 4 Rear Wheel Travel, Integrated Headset & Main Pivot Bearings
    Manitou Axel Elite Fork w/ Magnesium Lowers, Reverse Arch Technology, FFD Damping, Rebound & Preload Adjustment, 100mm Travel; Fox Float Air Shock
    New Shimano LX 27-Speed Drivetrain; Deore Shifters; TruVativ Five-D Cranks w/ Powerspline Interface
    Avid Single Digit 5 Linear Pull Brakes; Shimano PD-M520 Clipless Pedals w/ 959 Clipless System
    WTB Rims, Rear Shimano Cassette Hub; GT Butted Aluminum XC Riser Bar, Micro-Adjust Post & GT 4-Bolt Stem; Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.1 Front Tire w/ Slow Rebound & Blue Dragon 2.1 Rear Tire w/ High Energy Tread

ay Diablo!
    For that price, if the bike is new it is a very good deal. if it is not new look else where.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought the bike at performance tonight (for about the same dinero as the bicycle outlet, where they will do $600 if you beg) with the 10% back- plus the beneifit of a local shop and a free tune up. It looks SWEET, fire engine red to match my Schwinn prologe road bike.

I can't wait till the weekend.
    thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki
    are you happy witht the bike?

Do you think I should jump on this for $670 or would be better of buting a lightweight hardtail with better components?

I am into just basic trail riding but like to have nice stuff. I am 35 and weigh 160#s.
    Sorry about not getting back earlier.

I researched dual suspension bikes that had anti-bob designs for a few months before GT had a 2005 run-out sale.

To answer your question, I am really happy about the bike. I have ridden a few dual suspension bikes in the past (borrowed and never owned one), and noticed how the i-drive system reduces pedal bob. I really wanted an anti-bob system that was not reliant on fancy shock systems (propedal, SPV etc). It also means that if I needed to install a backup shock, it won't be as expensive because I won't need to look for shocks with anti-bob valving (which are far too expensive for a backup shock).

I do trail riding every day, and average 170kms every week - and it results in a lot of wear on my drive train (I usually do a chain replacement around 3500kms which works out to about 3 months). I do have one complaint (which is what a friend who is a bike mechanic warned me about) - full suspension bikes need more maintenance than hard tails. Especially if you live in tropical conditions - the monsoon means muddy trails, and that is grief on moving parts. It is the reason why I use a hard tail during these times. The HT is only good for around 45kms - more than that and I start to ache in the lower back. The FS bike has meant that I have been able to do a few 4 and 8 hour rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What a great ride.
    I was worried that I would not like riding a FS bike since all I have ridden is hardtails in the past, but I am fully impressed. Im getting older and need to take it easy on my back and neck, so this was a great choice. I took it out on muddy singletrack that was covered in slick roots. what a great way to break in a new bike.
    if you are looking for a nice light fs trail bike this could be the best deal out there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Been using my hardtail lately cuz of the wet season. The trails are all mud (sometimes right up to the hub). And when it's not mud, it's water logged clay (happens when the rain washes away the top layer of dirt) which is a real bugger to ride up. Anyway, took the IDXC for a spin on it for a bit of fun, and the bike was urging me to go faster. Guess that's what happens when you buy a decent, comfortable ride that has excellent bearings and is extremely well balance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Crap Bike

Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki
    I am looking at an 2005 gt idxc 4.0

what do you think.
    anybody out there have one?

can you still get parts for these bikes if you have a problem.

I am also condidering a Jamis Dakota AL ( 04 hardtail) that is about the same price (better components, but a hardtail) and a Marin Eldridge grade (steel 06) (but it is a bit more than I want to spend.

the price is pretty close between them.

what to do?
    Do your self a favour dont buy! I have complete problems with mine