Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

GT i-Drive Race 2001

Someone I know is selling one in excellent shape for $600.00.....good deal?

TIA Cliff

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubensis
    Someone I know is selling one in excellent shape for $600.00.....good deal?

TIA Cliff
    Well the 2001' GT Race I-Drive was one step down from the top of the line TEAM I-Drive. The geometry of both bikes are identical [longer top tube & longer chain stays] than any previous I-Drive designs. They also had a shorter rear travel than previous designs. They were marketed towards XC racing but the components on the Race were quite a bit down the scale from the TEAM. Also the Race frame was made from a heavier 7000 series aluminum. Compared to the TEAM frame which was made from lightweight Easton 6061 aluminum. With the parts group that the Race came with and the heavier aluminum I would be hesitant at spending $600 for such an old bike. But if it were a TEAM then it would be a different deal. They were so well equipped with high end componentry along with the frame being made from Easton 6061 aluminum, that they are in high demand and easily worth that. The Race was puke yellow/ gold w/black & red graphics, and the TEAM was blue and yellow w/black and silver graphics [GT’s race colors].
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-02-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Well, I bought it for $550.00 (he was actually asking $650.00). I think I got a great deal as the bike is in awesome shape. I think the color is a nice canary yellow not a "puke" yellow as you say. I also think the componentry is not that shabby for a $550.00 bike. Anyways, I came here for opinions and I do appreciate yours but it just seemed like a deal I couldn't pass up.

Thanks Again....

Cliff

P.S. Here's a pic of one I found on the Net.....

and the actual one I bought....

Front Range, Colorado
    Congratulations, as long as you're happy that's all that counts. I forgot to mention the possibility of the seat tower cracking. It was a huge design flaw and one that really hurt the company. They had many warranty replacement frames that were dealt out to numerous customers, me included. I cracked two frames before GT went bankrupt and forced me to move into another brand of bike. I am not trying to scare or depress you about your purchase, as many are still riding those frames and love them. I too loved the way the bike performed. I personally think the seat tower failures were due to heavier riders who rode aggressively on rocky drop off type terrain. I weigh 205lbs. and rode that type of terrain and paid the price because of it, how much do you weigh?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-03-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Awesome... I remember seeing those bikes on the bike shop floor years back. Pretty damn sexy, love the yellow, good choice!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Here's what I was told when I bought the last new I-drive Team from Greenfish last year. It also applies to your bike since they are very similar. The big difference besides that ugly yellow (just kidding) is that the Team was welded in USA and the Race in Asia. But, here it is; this is a cross country race bike. If you use it as such, it will last a long time. If you take it downhilling or jumping or for big drop offs it won't.

Check out the thread for the 2001/2004 I-driveTeam below and see how much everyone loves them

You're going to love that bike, just treat it as what it was made for and it will treat you well.

mtbr member
    Wow...some positive comments finally! Thanks guys..... Well I rode it on the trails both last night and today and it seems like an awesome bike. I also have a Cannondale and a Gary Fisher (yah I know!) and my brother-in-law has been bragging about his GT Zaskar for so long that when this deal came about I just had to try one out. I like it so well I think I will make it my primary bike. Anyways to answer DJ's question...yes, I am probably considered a clydesdale, but what the hell if it breaks on me I'm not out a million bucks or anything. I probably mostly ride cross country although maybe a bit of downhill here and there. Jumps....they are most likely out of the question unless your talking about a little sappling crossing the trail here or there. Well thanks for the comment fellah's good or bad. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Cliff

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Here's what I was told when I bought the last new I-drive Team from Greenfish last year. It also applies to your bike since they are very similar. The big difference besides that ugly yellow (just kidding) is that the Team was welded in USA and the Race in Asia. But, here it is; this is a cross country race bike. If you use it as such, it will last a long time. If you take it downhilling or jumping or for big drop offs it won't.

Check out the thread for the 2001/2004 I-driveTeam below and see how much everyone loves them

You're going to love that bike, just treat it as what it was made for and it will treat you well.
    The Team was welded in U.S.A. with high quality lightweight Easton 6061 aluminum compared to the heavier 7000 series aluminum that was used on the frames from over seas [the Race]. As far as my comments on the frame seat mast cracking problems I stand by, IMO they cracked due to the rider’s weight. I didn't do any hucking but rather rode some rather large boulder rock gardens. But I was standing while going through those sections so I don't think that had any bearing on the seat mast failures. So IMO a heavier rider while in the saddle and cranking caused the failures. My experience of breaking two frames in exactly the six month mark of riding them. Along with numerous other customers back in 2000' - 2002' shows the weak point in that design. There was no difference in whether the frames were the Easton 6061 or the 7000 series aluminum they both had numerous failures [all in the same exact point] which conclude it was a design flaw and not the metal used. I think these bikes are awesome for a lightweight rider that doesn't ride like a free rider going off ledges and such. Being lightweight and riding it in a XC manner it should last a long time. I am curious as to what you weigh Sweeney and also Cubensis. Also don't get me wrong IMO the old I-Drive design is one of the best suspension designs ever.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-03-2008 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm about 210 lbs. and I've been riding my I-drive Team for almost 2 years. I'm not a jumper but I'm not easy on the bike. One thing, you make sure it never happens!!!!!!!! When adjusting your seatpost, make sure you have around one inch of seatpost showing through the bottom of the seat tube. You will be putting unnecessary stress on the top part of the seat tube if you don't, this will lead to cracking for sure. It is a great ride, enjoy it.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    I'm about 210 lbs. and I've been riding my I-drive Team for almost 2 years. I'm not a jumper but I'm not easy on the bike. One thing, you make sure it never happens!!!!!!!! When adjusting your seatpost, make sure you have around one inch of seatpost showing through the bottom of the seat tube. You will be putting unnecessary stress on the top part of the seat tube if you don't, this will lead to cracking for sure. It is a great ride, enjoy it.
    gt jorgito, I hope I am wrong, but you being even heavier than I was you may be riding on borrowed time. My post was always at least an inch below the end of the seat mast. More than enough insertion than what is recommended. The flaw in the design is at the very top of the seat mast right where it starts to form the post insertion. The weld cracked right there in the exact same spot on both of my frames. At the time the GT Rep. told me that is where they were all cracking. I questioned him, asking if it was only happening to the American made Easton 6061 aluminum frames. And he said, no it was happening to both types of metals and that they planned on changing the design for 02'. But it never happened because at that point GT went bankrupt. Needless to say when my secant frame cracked they had run out of warranty replacement frames. Well GT was done with covering the warrantees so the bike shop that I originally purchased it at, stepped up and gave me "some" money towards the purchase of a new frame from a different manufacturer, that they carried. I say "some" because I sure didn't get much but at least they gave some. I originally purchased the bike for $40000.00. They gave me $500.00 towards a replacement [different manufacturer] considering a frame of that quality cost's $2000.00 IMO I lost my azz. I had to pay out of pocket $1500.00 plus some upgraded parts in order for them to work on the new frame. I walked out of there having spent a total of $2500.00 up and beyond my original purchase of $4000.00. I know you guy's are buying these used or new old stock [NOS] bikes at a fraction of what I paid so you don't have much to lose when the frame does fail. So I guess just ride them in a XC type manner and enjoy them and hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ftr

1. The Race frame is EXACTLY the same as the Team Frame Easton Taperwall...check the 2001 catalog...

2. The seat towers broke for one reason ...due to the welder aligning the seat mast tube too far down in the fixture the key hole cut for the seat QR would sometimes be too close to the weld of the mast onto the seat tower. Repeated closing and opening of the QR would flex the seat mast at the bead ...the bead being much stiffer than the tube wall would then allow a crack to propagate in the wall of the seatmast along the weld bead which resulted in the seatmast tearing off. IF your keyhole is well above the weld bead then most likely you will never suffer this failure....if it is very close you need to

a. stop using your QR and replace it with a bolt and replace your seatpost with a crank
    brothers Joplin

b. Keep a close eye on it.

These are great frames if purchased in good shape....Roland Green got a silver medal on one in the 2001 WC in Madrid... the highest ever placing for a fullie......

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My frame has a bolt. Sweet. I know that the frame will eventually give in to fatigue and crack but 2 years running and it is still going. I do baby it when I can but sometimes I get caught in the moment and barrel down some hills at pretty descent speeds. No jumps though, at least not over a foot. I'm getting me a Force 2.0 eventually for my all mountain riding and keeping the I-drive for racing only. I just have to save some money or sell a kidney.

mtbr member
    More good news.... The keyhole on mine is at least 3/8" from the weld. Hopefully I will be ok as it does not look like anything has been compromised as of yet. As I said b4...If something happens, something happens....If I have fun on it the rest of this summer I've gotten my $550.00 out of it.....if not, well, I've made much worst business decisions...

Cliff

mtbr member
    I weigh about 175 and I'm hoping to get a nice long run out of this bike. When I got it a year ago I thought I'd just ride it til it broke and then replace it, but after a year I can't find anything out there that I would replace it with. This spring with a few small changes I lowered the weight to just a hair below 24lbs and it is like a rocket. I think what I like is the geometry and the short wheelbase. About the same as my 2000 Zaskar but 2cm shorter than my 2006 Zaskar. It's really a dream to ride. But I don't ride it very much. I mostly save it for races; Xterra triathlon and mountain bike duathlons. It's like my secret weapon. It's becoming a "when they pry it from my cold dead hands'' kind of thing. Like I said though I've only put 291 miles on the bike. My Zaskar does all the work on the trails and I have a Kestrel Talon tri bike and a Trek 5200 road bike to share the heavy mileage. So, it should last. I did cut the seatpost even with the bottom of the mast, maybe I should invest in a new one. Maybe I can find a lighter one and cut a few more grams! And now, Dirtstar, you say that the keyhole should not be too close to the weld, but what is too close. Mine is about 1 cm. How is that? I have a bolt in there and have only opened it once or twice since I've had the bike, and now I never will

Will it last, or not? Only time will tell.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=dirtstar59]1. The Race frame is EXACTLY the same as the Team Frame Easton Taperwall...check the 2001 catalog...

2. The seat towers broke for one reason ...due to the welder aligning the seat mast tube too far down in the fixture the key hole cut for the seat QR would sometimes be too close to the weld of the mast onto the seat tower. Repeated closing and opening of the QR would flex the seat mast at the bead ...the bead being much stiffer than the tube wall would then allow a crack to propagate in the wall of the seatmast along the weld bead which resulted in the seatmast tearing off. IF your keyhole is well above the weld bead then most likely you will never suffer this failure....if it is very close you need to

a. stop using your QR and replace it with a bolt and replace your seatpost with a crank
    brothers Joplin

b. Keep a close eye on it.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    Hmmm that was nice of GT to give me a warranty replacement frame with the exact same problem as my original. And then when that one cracked they went bankrupt and wouldn't back up the warranty. The GT rep. that handled my warranty said nothing about the reason you give for the failures. But what you said makes sense [of why they cracked] as I would consistently throughout each ride use my QR to lower and raise my seat depending on each section of trail. I still think my heft of 205lbs. was also part of the problem. Other than this frame flaw they are great bikes and I would probably still be on one if this weren’t the case.

GT-Maniac
    More infos about the Team and the Race frames:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I suspect you are a bit bigger then the intended "target consumer" for a 2001 IDrive Race or Team ...however it is a testament to the bike overall that they can take the abuse the bigger riders can dish out...maybe at some point you can check out thier new Carbon race rigs..I know Wells races the new Marathon Carbon 4 inch rig in the WC sometimes and loves it....

It is a shame that US bankruptcy laws absolve companies of responsibility of thier products upon sale of assets. I do not think many consumers understand this aspect of US business law. This is not the case in many EU countries where consumer rights are much more stringently protected in terms of product issues.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    I suspect you are a bit bigger then the intended "target consumer" for a 2001 IDrive Race or Team ...however it is a testament to the bike overall that they can take the abuse the bigger riders can dish out...maybe at some point you can check out thier new Carbon race rigs..I know Wells races the new Marathon Carbon 4 inch rig in the WC sometimes and loves it....

It is a shame that US bankruptcy laws absolve companies of responsibility of thier products upon sale of assets. I do not think many consumers understand this aspect of US business law. This is not the case in many EU countries where consumer rights are much more stringently protected in terms of product issues.
    Mine wasn't the Race but rather the 2000' XCR-LE same paint scheme as the 2001' Team and made in the USA with Easton 6061. After digging out my 2001' catalog I realize that the Race was Easton tubing. I am a bit confused as I was told that only the frames that were hand made in the USA were made with Easton tubing and received the "Ping Pong" paddle sticker for easy recognition. But in my 2001' catalog the Team has this sticker as did my 2000' LE but the Race doesn't. But it does say Easton Taper wall Tubing under the Race, I question if the Race frame was hand made in the USA like the Team and LE. In any regard now that I know the Race was Easton Tubing and according to the catalog weighed the same as the Team [frame only] 5.5 lbs. the $550.00 the O.P. paid for it I can say now he got a good deal. I just hope that at his weight and the fact that his seems to not have the frame flaw, that it holds out for many years of riding.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dirtstar59

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Mine wasn't the Race but rather the 2000' XCR-LE same paint scheme as the 2001' Team and made in the USA with Easton 6061. After digging out my 2001' catalog I realize that the Race was Easton tubing. I am a bit confused as I was told that only the frames that were hand made in the USA were made with Easton tubing and received the "Ping Pong" paddle sticker for easy recognition. But in my 2001' catalog the Team has this sticker as did my 2000' LE but the Race doesn't. But it does say Easton Taper wall Tubing under the Race, I question if the Race frame was hand made in the USA like the Team and LE. In any regard now that I know the Race was Easton Tubing and according to the catalog weighed the same as the Team [frame only] 5.5 lbs. the $550.00 the O.P. paid for it I can say now he got a good deal. I just hope that at his weight and the fact that his seems to not have the frame flaw, that it holds out for many years of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

... and if we just ... the ping pong paddle puzzle.......

The Ping Pong Paddle sticker = made in the GT Santa Ana plant

sans PPP sticker = made in the USA by Kinesis Portland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    [ In any regard now that I know the Race was Easton Tubing and according to the catalog weighed the same as the Team [frame only] 5.5 lbs. the $550.00 the O.P. paid for it I can say now he got a good deal. I just hope that at his weight and the fact that his seems to not have the frame flaw, that it holds out for many years of riding.
    Well thank yah DJ....I knew you had some positive in yah.. LOL..just messin with you dude, as I said I appreciate all feedback + or - although I am feeling pretty good about my purchase at this time. 4 days in a row of ten miles or more on trails and I think I am seriously digging this bike.

Thanks....Cliff

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59

sans PPP sticker = made in the USA by Kinesis Portland.
    OK so my question is "where was the Race built'? According to my 2001' catalog the Race is Easton taper wall tubing, but it didn't receive the Ping Pong paddle sticker like the Team and my 2000' XCR-LE. I have always been under the impression that all of the "hand built' frames that were the only ones built with Easton 6061 tubing were from the Santa Ana plant and received the Ping Pong paddle sticker. Which is what made them special "lighter material and hand built out of California. So was the Race built over seas or at the Kinesis Portland plant with Easton tubing? Hence it didn't receive the sticker.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-08-2008 at 04:16 PM.

GT-Maniac
    The i-drive Race was made in the US like the i-drive Team and the Zaskar Team (all 2001). The Ping-Pong stickers are on US-made-GTs of the model year 2000 (i-drive Race is 2001). You can find it on the STS XCR 1000, XCR LE, Zaskar LE, ZR 1000, DHi Team and the limited i-2k i-drive.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    The i-drive Race was made in the US like the i-drive Team and the Zaskar Team (all 2001). The Ping-Pong stickers are on US-made-GTs of the model year 2000 (i-drive Race is 2001). You can find it on the STS XCR 1000, XCR LE, Zaskar LE, ZR 1000, DHi Team and the limited i-2k i-drive.
    Well according to my 2001' catalog the 2001' Team has the Ping Pong paddle sticker but the 2001' Race does not. But the Race is made from Easton tubing like the 2001' Team and my 2000' XCR-LE which also had the sticker. Was the Race hand built in Santa Ana California? Or not. If so why didn't it receive the Ping Pong paddle sticker, like its big brother the Team? Anybody out there that owns a 2001' Team want to chime in and let me know if your frame came with a Ping Pong paddle sticker. Maybe my 2001' catalog is incorrect by showing the Team with the sticker. Recap, this sticker was placed only on GT's that were "hand built" in Santa Ana California using Easton tubing.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! once more

NO PPP sticker = made in the USA by Kinesis Portland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast