Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GT Grade

159K views 683 replies 75 participants last post by  wildh 
#1 ·
Yes...I know it's a road/gravel/whatever bike. This just seems like the most appropriate forum to ask a few questions if anyone here has one.

I have the '15 GT Grade 105 Alloy in a 58.

Anyone have one? I'm trying to get an idea of what I can do with this thing....tire sizes, frame bags, etc. Trying to use it for rides with the family, bikepacking, bikefishpacking, etc...when I'm not on fat(ter) tires.

Right now Iv'e got a 35c tire on there, but it looks like there is room for more.

Anyone know of a company that makes a frame bag that would fit the triple triangle? OR do I have to go custom?

#3 ·
I don't have much to compare it to, as it's my first road/gravel/whatever bike, but I like it a lot. It's a ton of fun to ride around town and on the backroads. I haven't had time to take it on anything rougher than a gravel road, but it inspires confidence on those.

I guess all I can do is reinforce the reviews on the bike. It's good. My only complaint is that the triple triangle makes it more difficult to find a frame bag.

That's pretty ridiculous that they won't order anything but BMX. Is that a dealer decision, or a GT decision? Either way, it seems counter productive, business wise.

#4 ·
Well I just ordered a Grade Carbon 105. I read that max tires size depends on frame size too?

I don't think I will need more than 35c. I will most likely only ride it with 28c Conti GP 4 Season until they are worn down. I am told the wider rims will make even 28c feel bigger.

#12 ·
I picked up a Claris level Grade from my LBS about a month ago. I'd been looking for something to ride on roads locally, which although they claim to be paved roads, tend to have holes in them, and be composed more of chunks of asphalt than of sheets of asphalt. I had some concerns about the reliability of the Claris components, but so far, so good. According to the specs that were published, the Alex 470 rims/hubs come on all levels of the AL Grade. According to Alex, those rims are tubeless ready. Anyone running these tubeless yet?

#14 ·
I've done that. They were singularly unhelpful, basically repeated what the website said regarding the rims, which is they are tubeless ready, get tubeless rim tape, sealant, and tubeless tires, and you're ready to go. That's kinda why I was asking here, was to see if anyone else had, you know, actually tried it. The tires on this bike are going to be the first thing to go, I have a bike I bought to ride around colleges rather than having to walk that uses the Kenda tires, they're 400g each with their wire beads. I'm just not replacing them before I figure out what tubeless tire I want to try. I temped to try the Maxxis tire on it, since their TR tires work so well on my MTBs.

#15 ·
Sounds good. No doubt lightning up the tires and going tubeless is the way to go. I was personally thinking about trying the Schwalbe one tubeless but I have not done any research on how well they will stand up to all year round commuting. I had a pair of used 28c Continental 4 Season I moved over from my dedicated road bike that I want to wear out first before I go tubeless. I wish that tire came in tubeless.

Have you decided on tires size? Dedicated road tire or more of a gravel tire?

#16 ·
I'm leaning towards keeping the 28c for a variety of reasons. It seems to work really well for what I use the bike for, which is to say, pretty much anything that doesn't get gnarly enough to make me want a mountain bike. My local roads, while theoretically paved, tend to be more large chunks of asphalt than road, and we've got some gravel laying around too, as well as some pretty good roads that are very popular with the roadies not too far away. I've ridden my Grade pretty much all those places, and the 28c seems to be enough tire to work well on the crap roads and gravel stuff, but not so much tire that I feel like it holds me up riding with the people on 23c tires on the better roads. I'll probably stick with more of a multipurpose tire like the Kenda, but I'm not sure where that leaves me when looking for tubeless tires. I agree though, I'm a big fan of the Conti gator tires. I have an aversion to Schwalbe tires, but I may have to get over that.

#19 ·
I have an aversion to Schwalbe tires, but I may have to get over that.
This is specifically in regards to the Schwalbe One tubeless tire. It turns out, that tire has a 75Kg weight limit on it, which won't even come close to cutting it for me, since in roadie terms I classify as a Super Clyde at 215lbs. Hutchison appears to be the only real option I currently have for tubeless tires.

#18 ·
Having never ridden a CX bike on the road, I can't really speak to this, but I suspect it will be different, because it's not a CX bike. That said, 200 miles mixed between road and gravel, and I don't really see a weakness. The stock tires really need to be replaced with some capable tubeless tires since the rims are tubeless compatible and the stock tires are HEAVY but they are well spec'd for the intended usage of the bike. I suspect that outright specific road performance will be most directly affected by the tires.

The only other possible thing to mention is, the Claris 8 speed model might leave you feeling a little short on gear here and there. But then, most people will probable opt for a more expensive model that comes with 10 speed. I'm just a poor trail builder, I bought what I could afford.

#20 · (Edited)
I know this is digging up an older thread, but I picked my Grade Carbon 105 today. I did get 26 miles in today with some gravel. For the most part, I am pleased with the choice. I will most likely need to go with a compact double on the front, but I will need more ride time before make that decision. Also, think that going tubeless in the future as well..

#24 ·
Is that your final fit? Seat post looks really low like a size smaller would have been better?

I also have the 105 carbon. I love the bike even more since I got it. I was not crazy about the bar and got something less wide and a shorter stem.

Crazy good deals on Shimano in Europe if you are looking for a new crankset but I am pretty sure you can put compact rings on that crankset?

No joke on the good deal like 379 for an complete Shimano 105 Groupset non dics. Such good value

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black | Road Bike Groupsets | Merlin Cycles

#21 ·
That's a sharp looking bike. The Claris came with compact (34/50) up front. What's on yours?

Just as an update: I got a smoking deal on a 105 11 speed groupo and picked it up. Since the hub that comes on the stock Claris Grade wheels won't convert for a 11 speed, I snagged a set of Rolf wheels while my LBS owner was making deals. The groupo is sitting on a shelf in my shop waiting for the wheels to come in at this point.

I also upgraded my brakes to TRP Spyres - massive upgrade.

On the whole I've put in about 350 miles on this bike so far, and no real complaints - the big reason for the change to 11 speed is to help with pedaling on some of the hills around here. If I was a flat lander, I'd ride this Claris stuff till it fell apart. Either way, having a bike like this lets me get miles in at times when trails are inaccessable and I would otherwise be sitting around getting fat and bored.

#22 ·
That's a sharp looking bike. The Claris came with compact (34/50) up front. What's on yours?

Just as an update: I got a smoking deal on a 105 11 speed groupo and picked it up. Since the hub that comes on the stock Claris Grade wheels won't convert for a 11 speed, I snagged a set of Rolf wheels while my LBS owner was making deals. The groupo is sitting on a shelf in my shop waiting for the wheels to come in at this point.

I also upgraded my brakes to TRP Spyres - massive upgrade.

On the whole I've put in about 350 miles on this bike so far, and no real complaints - the big reason for the change to 11 speed is to help with pedaling on some of the hills around here. If I was a flat lander, I'd ride this Claris stuff till it fell apart. Either way, having a bike like this lets me get miles in at times when trails are inaccessable and I would otherwise be sitting around getting fat and bored.
Mine came with the Mid-Compact 52/36. If I were just going to ride it on the road, it might be okay. Like yourself, I have to many hills to contend with, especially when I get riding the forest service road that I want to.

#23 ·
I have the 105 carbon. Got it from competitive cyclist back in the winter. I rebuilt the stans rims with dt 350 hubs and sapim laser spokes and changed the bars and saddle. So far it's only seen road use with 25mm bontrager tubeless tires, But I'm planning on using it on gravel during the coming winter. Haven't decided on the tires yet.

#27 ·
I have about 200 miles on this bike now, so I thought I update my thoughts so far for those who might be considering one. Most of my mileage is on chip seal, rough road, with a little gravel thrown in. I'm not sure if it is the carbon frame, frame design, or bigger tires, but this bike is very smooth over the junk that I have ridden. It is even smoother then my titanium road bike with 25c tires. Also, this is one stable machine, not twitchy at all. The brakes worked better then I could have hoped, they allow me to ride faster into the corners before hitting the brakes. My Strava times so far are close to or better then on my road bike. It does not accelerate as fast, but once it is up to speed, I can hang at a decent clip with not much effort. Maybe the most important factor is that the bike is just plain fun. Last weekend I did a century ride with it. At the end I did not feel beat up, plus it was fun to come to railroad crossings at close to full speed while the race bike guys were slowing down. The only things that I may change is going to a compact crankset, and maybe make up a set of lighter wheels and tires for road use only. So in conclusion, I would highly recommend the bike to anyone considering it. :thumbsup:

#28 ·
Good review. I have the exactly the same experience.

I really want to put a nice wheelset on the bike. At the moment I have my eyes on the Reynolds Attack but the Hed Ardennes Plus SL Disc is getting some great reviews from several of my friends but a little heavier.

#29 ·
I really want to put a nice wheelset on the bike. At the moment I have my eyes on the Reynolds Attack but the Hed Ardennes Plus SL Disc is getting some great reviews from several of my friends but a little heavier.
I looked at the HED wheelset, but they have a 190 pound rider weight limit, which I am close to in full gear. The set that has my attention right now is the custom set from Prowheelbuilder.com. They come in at 1600 grams, and have a 255 limit, plus are on sale right now for $699. My budget is to tight right now with the purchase of the bike, but it looks like a good set.

VENTUS PREMIUM DISC PWB SIGNATURE WHEEL SET CUSTOM HANDBUILT BY - prowheelbuilder.com

#33 ·
A lot. I have to see if I can find my exact weights, but I dropped a pound by rebuilding the stans rims with dt 350s and sapim laser spoke. The formula rear hub is an anchor, over 500g. And the spokes are straight guage. Plus, the wheels were horribly built. Tensions had crazy variations.

#32 ·
Regrets about my carbon grade..

-Maybe should have waited a bit before diving into the disc road thing. Would be nice if this bike had flat mount and the ability to go down to a 140 rotor in the rear.

-I was dead set against buying a bike with a sram group because I despise their brakes... BUT... The bike needs a clutch RD for the short sections of dirt and gravel roads I have in my area. Unfortunately Shimano doesn't see the need, their mountain derailleurs wont work with the road shifters, and neither will a sram RD. This is going to be really annoying when I'm on real trails. The cage spring in the 105 RD seems exceptionally weak.

-I should have bucked up for one of the rear hubs I really wanted when I rebuilt the wheels. I hate the sound of the DT 350. Probably going to get an Onyx this winter.

#35 ·
New to the forum but not new to bikes and I have about a 1000 miles on my carbon ultegra grade . 5'10 55 cm and shortened the stem to a 90cm from the stock GT 120 and that made the long wheel base leading axle bike nervous on 35 + descents . I have a Easton SL 90 100 cm x 6* and have been 49 mph on 7* stuff running Panaracer Gravel King 28's . I'm running Challenge Gravel Grinder 38's for fall dirt roads . I had to dish the rear wheel to fit the 38 in the back , just because it was off from the factory . I love this 20# bike above my 16.5 # road bike , comfort , speed , stability , brakes and overall versatility . I have a Bikase , Jadd frame bag and a seat bag on the bike . I'm a GT dealer and have some deals on left overs , carbon 105's and alloys of various builds , they remain unchanged for 16 , just a couple of new models and sizes .

#36 ·
I put on Conti 4 Season that I had on my other road bike so that helped the heavy tire problem but it's easy to feel the weight in the wheelset when you ride and accelerate compared to my other bike with Shimano C24 wheelset.

For the price of the bike I think the wheelset is nice but I just want something that is better.

A clutch version of the 105 would be super cool. Great for commuting too on rough roads and you have the ability to run single front ring. The 2015 Grade X with Force X1 looks pretty slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.