Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: GT Grade

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Had to re-tape my grails yesterday. Pulled the tires off to remove a giant Stan's booger in each one, and the beads ripped up the edges of my tape pretty bad. What a freakin PITA. That center channel makes it real hard to get the tape in there while trying to stretch it. These rims were a nice intro to the wonders of road tubeless, but I'm definitely not going to miss them when they're gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The moment when you just can't remember why you took the fenders off...
    GT Grade-p4pb14571028.jpg
    At least it was fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Drove up to the North Cascades Highway on Friday. 41 miles with about 3,800 feet of vert. All paved.

This was the turn-around point. This is why they close the road.

Scenery.

And then the way out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looks like an amazing ride! Thanks for sharing the pics!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Had to re-tape my grails yesterday. Pulled the tires off to remove a giant Stan's booger in each one, and the beads ripped up the edges of my tape pretty bad. What a freakin PITA. That center channel makes it real hard to get the tape in there while trying to stretch it. These rims were a nice intro to the wonders of road tubeless, but I'm definitely not going to miss them when they're gone.
    The same thing happened to me last week. In between trying to get the Kenda Happy Medium SCT's to seat (horrible experiencie, btw) and my undiscriminated usage of my plastic levers I ended up busting my rim tape. I also found out that using high pressure (> 45 psi's) on these builds is not recommended.

I'll retape them again next week and will be extra careful with the pressure and levers.

ps. the new Maxxis Terrane 33mm might be a better alternative to the hard-to-seat Kenda Happy Medium's.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dekaru View Post
    The same thing happened to me last week. In between trying to get the Kenda Happy Medium SCT's to seat (horrible experiencie, btw) and my undiscriminated usage of my plastic levers I ended up busting my rim tape. I also found out that using high pressure (> 45 psi's) on these builds is not recommended.

I'll retape them again next week and will be extra careful with the pressure and levers.

ps. the new Maxxis Terrane 33mm might be a better alternative to the hard-to-seat Kenda Happy Medium's.
    I can't get the rear wheel to seal. I thought it was good but there's sealant coming through a few spoke holes. I must have screwed the tape up again. I think I'm going to solve the annoyance the best way possible- throw money at it. Mavic ksyrium wheels are calling me. No holes to tape.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't get the rear wheel to seal. I thought it was good but there's sealant coming through a few spoke holes. I must have screwed the tape up again. I think I'm going to solve the annoyance the best way possible- throw money at it. Mavic ksyrium wheels are calling me. No holes to tape.
    Give the Hunt wheels a try, excelent value (and looks!) for the money

https://www.huntbikewheels.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Last week I finally decided to go road tubeless with my grail rims, using stan's tape and schwalbe pro one tires. Had the exact same problem you described. Getting the wheel on caused the tape to get messed up and leak through spoke holes.

After 2 attempts, i grabbed some gorilla tape, cut it to 21mm and slapped it on (1 layer). The tape went on perfectly smooth on the rim and the schwalbe's seated up on my first attempt after that. Ditch the stan's if that's what you're using.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Give the Hunt wheels a try, excelent value (and looks!) for the money

https://www.huntbikewheels.com
    I'd consider waiting for their wheels if I was going to get carbon, but wouldn't wait on them for alloy. There's nothing that special about them.

Quote Originally Posted by fumanju View Post
    Last week I finally decided to go road tubeless with my grail rims, using stan's tape and schwalbe pro one tires. Had the exact same problem you described. Getting the wheel on caused the tape to get messed up and leak through spoke holes.

After 2 attempts, i grabbed some gorilla tape, cut it to 21mm and slapped it on (1 layer). The tape went on perfectly smooth on the rim and the schwalbe's seated up on my first attempt after that. Ditch the stan's if that's what you're using.
    I got a roll of wider tape and it seems to be working better. It's 25mm. Goes up the bead shelf a little bit.

Even though I fixed the issue, I still made an impulse purchase. DT spline R32 wheels are on the way from Germany. Price was too good to resist. They need tape too, but I went for the looks and like how the hubs convert to every axle standard out there.

mtbr member
    Well I went out for a road ride today and looking at mountain bike trails I decided to try a little off road, now I had the tires pumped up to 100psi with the stock mostly slick tires and actually did a lot better than I thought it would, Now the one thing I do hate about road type bikes is drop bars...what would it take for me to go to a flat bar? Im thinking probably everything (brakes/levers/shifter...etc)
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Well I went out for a road ride today and looking at mountain bike trails I decided to try a little off road, now I had the tires pumped up to 100psi with the stock mostly slick tires and actually did a lot better than I thought it would, Now the one thing I do hate about road type bikes is drop bars...what would it take for me to go to a flat bar? Im thinking probably everything (brakes/levers/shifter...etc)
    And a longer stem, because you won't have the length the bars add.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Got rid of that crap formula front axle and switched to a maxle stealth. So much nicer looking and it doesn't sound like a zipper when you insert it. Have to carry a 6mm in the saddle bag now though. Have a DT RWS rear skewer but would like to find something less bulky for that too. With tubeless, I rarely have to remove the wheels these days...

mtbr member
    The Maxle fits that is pretty cool to know. That much look so much nicer too.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yep. They have a maxle stealth road version that matches length and threads perfectly.GT Grade-img_20170411_171528.jpg

mtbr member

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    In case someone was wondering about framebags. Here is a Blackburn Outpost (Medium) in a 2016 55cm frame. That's is a spare toob between the seattube and the framebag. Good bang for the buck.

GT Grade-p5pb14619707.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, I did a complete dipshit thing last night. Bunny hopping a railroad tie in small chain ring/small cog on a dirt road the chain popped off and wedged between the chainring and the chainstay. It chewed up the chainstay a bit - not terrible, but took a little chunk out. Anyone else on a carbon Grade have a similar occurrence? It looks like the top layer of carbon is pretty much decorative, and there doesn't seem to be damage below that.

mtbr member
    Some Grades

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Finally got my DT Spline R32 wheels from Germany. Damn these things are mean lookin. And so nice that they come with every hub adapter possible. Also recently got ergon saddles for all my bikes. Love them! Not much left of my original bike... just the cranks, FD, post, brakes and brifters.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Grade-img_20170426_155024.jpg  

Last edited by 92gli; 17 Hours Ago at 05:14 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally got my DT Spline R32 wheels from Germany. Damn these things are mean lookin. And so nice that they come with every possible hub adapter possible. Also recently got ergon saddles for all my bikes. Love them! Not much left of my original bike... just the cranks, FD, post, brakes and brifters.

super nice! what size is it?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    super nice! what size is it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you ever decide to sell it or if you wish to change it for another one size larger let me know :P

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213