mtbr member
    Jul 2008

GT Force suspension changes

Got a couple of questions for everyone about my GT force. The bike currently has an '09 vanilla 32 that is great for xc but anything more is pushing it.

I want to run the 36 vanilla for the extra 20mm, increased bottom out resistance and overall added stiffness.. I wonder how the additional 20mm travel will effect the bikes head angle and overall feel. Do you guys think it would be noticeable? I looked for axle to crown measurements for both forks but couldn't find anything. Also, I would think 160mm would be the limit for front end travel for this bike. Any other opinions or suggestions? Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    This is what the sanction uses so see the specs for that on the GT site. slacker head angle = more stability downhill, slower steering, harder climibing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm pretty sure that the sanctions numbers are different because the frame is built with different angles- a slacker head angle for example. I hope that isn't the case though. I'm actually wanting the extra 20mm to take the head down a degree or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Check this out for A2C measurements.

Forks: Complete Axle to Crown Lengths Library

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great info chrisem! From what I can tell, the a2c measurement is about 35mm different. This would change the HA about 1.5/2 degrees. Makes sense to me. Of course, other variables like increased sag with the 160 fork could slightly change stuff but it seems the fox 36 would do exactly what I wanted.

This makes me wonder if the frames are indeed the same angles at the head as superbird suggested. When checking specs on the gt site, it shows the fork length being exactly the same for the force and the sanction... I dunno.
    Last edited by koldsimer1; 01-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think the head angles must be different. GT quote the Sanction as 66 degrees with a 160 mm fork, and the Force 69 with a 140 mm fork. Adding another 20 mm to your Force will slacken the head angle by about a degree, or a bit less, depending on how much sag you run. It'll slow your steering some, but not by much, I think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ride Force with RS Lyrik coil and it's just great! Fork suits the bike very well compared to Float32. Much stiffer, plusher. Its differnt bike on descents with bigger fork and still a good climber cause you an lower the front end via U-turn to 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by generator
    I ride Force with RS Lyrik coil and it's just great! Fork suits the bike very well compared to Float32. Much stiffer, plusher. Its differnt bike on descents with bigger fork and still a good climber cause you an lower the front end via U-turn to 120mm.
    How does it climb with the fork at 160?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not as good as in 120mm at really steep climbs, due to short stem (65mm), but really not much difference compared to 140mm I guess...Stem makes climbing harder.

Alien Surf Team
    Try a 1/4 to 1/2 degree change at most. HS geometry in still a freshman or sophomore class right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I apologize in advance if I took your comment the wrong way, but did you mean to sound like a dick, or was it accidental? Either way, care to put your geometry knowledge to use and explain to me why a 35 mm taller fork will only yield a 1/4 to 1/2 degree change? A simple mock up with an angle gauge shows much more than that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Koldsimer1 let us know how your bike feels as soon as you get your new fork. I'm currently running an 08 Fox Vanilla 32 RL and am thinking about moving up to a 160mm soon. (maybe a Lyrik)