mtbr member

GT Force frame weight

Does anyone know the weight of the force frame?

mtbr member
    Nobody?

mtbr member
    I know how sweet it is and how nice it rides. Does that help at all? If weight is that important, get an Ibis Mojo SL with the WTF kit. It's only like $7k

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    I know how sweet it is and how nice it rides. Does that help at all? If weight is that important, get an Ibis Mojo SL with the WTF kit. It's only like $7k
    Haha, yeah that does help in fact. And weight is not so important but curious to know. And since you mentioned it, i have been comparing the force with the mojo, and although the mojo seems awesome, price tag is too hefty (especially cause i'm just after the frame). So i am researching on the performance of both of these two frames, and it's performance to price ratio.

mtbr member
    How much did you find the Force frame for? I did a quick search, and came up with $1600. I think the regular Mojo is $2k, which is pretty cheap for a full carbon frame.

The suspensions are different, but they ride in a very similar way, in terms of brake independence, pedal bob, activity, etc. I used to work at an Ibis dealer, so I've done a fair amount of messing around on the Mojo. In my mind, DW-Links and I-Drives ride the same, but some people would disagree with that.

If I had to guess, the GT would be heavier and stronger than the Mojo. The Mojo is more of a long travel XC bike, versus a lightweight AM bike like the Force. Either bike would be really nice, it just depends on how big you want to go.

mtbr member
    Yeah you are right, the force is apparently stiffer. Check out my other thread if you want, comparing the two frames: Ibis Mojo and GT Force comparison.

With the prices, ill quote AUD prices since i'm from australia, i found the mojo frame for 4300 AUD and the 2009 force aluminum 1.0 frame for 1300 AUD. (These prices are from outside Australia so i converted the prices, and i didn't include the shipping.) That's a big difference. Where did you find the prices of the frames?

mtbr member
    The Force frame I found was $1699 USD ~ $2680 AUD
    http://www.239bike.com/store/index.php?productid=3910

The Ibis website: http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/pricing/

regular Mojo frame is $1999 USD ~ $3156 AUD

If you found a Force for 1300 AUD, get that one, no question about it.

Alien Surf Team
    Why would you buy just the frame for that much when you can get a complete 3.0 for almost the same price. Its the same frame and you could sell off the parts.

mtbr member
    The 09 Force 3 has a rock shox rear shock. I don't know how easy it would be to find a Fox that would work with it.

Alien Surf Team
    The 09 Force 3 has a rock shox rear shock. I don't know how easy it would be to find a Fox that would work with it.
    Except for the carbon frame, they're all the same. It would be a no-brainer.

Huh?
    Compared to the Mojo (which is around 4.9-5 pounds), the Force would probably be a good 1-2 pounds heavier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Force frame I found was $1699 USD ~ $2680 AUD
    http://www.239bike.com/store/index.php?productid=3910

239 Bike is in New Zealand and i'm pretty sure the prices listed are NZD.
    I had a look around and couldn't find anything that states what currency it is, tho but i'd presume NZD.
    If so that Force 1.0 frame would be $1340AUD.. so that'd be what, like $850 USD?

Thats a cheap frame!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    yeah that's a really good deal!

mtbr member
    I did some calculations on the Force 1.0 build kit. the build kit should weigh about 10.5kg. The Force 1.0 complete weighs about 13.15kg. So, the difference (2.65kg) should be the frame weight ~ 5.8lbs

Huh?
    There's a 5.8 pound difference in the frame weight?

mtbr member
    No I'm guessing the frame weighs 5.8 pounds total. Maybe 6? I'm just guessing based on published weights for the components on the build kit

more carbon=more awesome
    Uh, guys, that one in New Zealand is the alloy version. The carbon comes as either the Expert or the Pro, and the completely built Pro is 1.5kg lighter than the top-line alloy version. I don't know how much of that is to do with spec. For the record, the Pro is about 26 pounds... pretty sweet.
    Interesting thread. I'm contemplating a carbon force myself. Looks a nice ride.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    From this article:
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5588

"Claimed weight for the Sanction is 6.7lb (3.04kg) and 6.6lb (3kg) for the Force, although we're assuming that that's not including the shocks, given that that weight difference (under 50g) is about enough to account for the Sanction's gusset and that a DHX Air is pushing 200g heavier than an RP23. Allowing for shocks, we're looking at 3.47kg (7.6lb) for the Sanction and 3.2kg (7lb) for the Force - still entirely respectable weights for sturdy 6in-travel frames."

Is the Ibis' claimed weight of 5.87lb with the shock?

Reviews of the carbon Force say it shaves 1.2lbs from Al version - so about equal with the standard Mojo assuming that weight is with the shock. Now the Mojo SL is +$500 and -1lb...but I think I'd want that extra pound in a carbon frame...

Huh?
    Not even close.

4.96 lbs frame and shock weight for the Mojo SL.

mtbr member
    once again....

Quote Originally Posted by superbird
    Reviews of the carbon Force say it shaves 1.2lbs from Al version - so about equal with the standard Mojo assuming that weight is with the shock. Now the Mojo SL is +$500 and -1lb...but I think I'd want that extra pound in a carbon frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    Why would you buy just the frame for that much when you can get a complete 3.0 for almost the same price. Its the same frame and you could sell off the parts.
    Hmm, if i can recall correctly the price of the 3.0 is not close to the price of the frame (at least not in Australia and purchasing overseas would incur shipping costs which would negate any savings). Also note that i'm looking into the 1.0 frame which has an rp23 shock as opposed to the rock shox bar which is on the 3.0. Also, i intend to put my own parts on the frame, which are all better than the 3.0 specs anyway, so ill be left with redundant parts, which wont be worth selling.

mtbr member
    The suspensions are different, but they ride in a very similar way, in terms of brake independence, pedal bob, activity, etc. I used to work at an Ibis dealer, so I've done a fair amount of messing around on the Mojo. In my mind, DW-Links and I-Drives ride the same, but some people would disagree with that.
    Nice. Didn't see that part about you working for ibis dealer before. So you've ridden the mojo quite a lot, have you ridden the force a considerable amount as well? Better yet, have you ridden them both on the trail and set up correctly to you (because of course in this manner you would get a fairer comparison)?

mtbr member
    I did some calculations on the Force 1.0 build kit. the build kit should weigh about 10.5kg. The Force 1.0 complete weighs about 13.15kg. So, the difference (2.65kg) should be the frame weight ~ 5.8lbs
    Awesome! I'd be happy with that weight, and considering its a stiffer frame too.

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird
    once again....
    Sorry about that. From Ibis's website regarding the normal frame:

Lightweight (sub 6 lb) frame, swingarm, rear shock;

I'm an I-Drive Fan, but there's no denying that the Mojo is lighter.