mtbr member

gt distortion I have questions for owners

Hi I hope somebody can help me here.
    I have a custom build idrive5 bike currently set up with magic cross rides, XO 2x9 170 atlas cranks and shimano596 brakes.xfusion dropper

I have a line on a disto1.0 frame new.

I want to swap my setup onto the new frame.
    The disto comes 12x135 dropouts. but want to use my 135QR mavic rear wheel
    Here's my questions

1) are gt dropouts universal between disco, force etc.? so I can take off the 12mm dropouts swap in my reg qr dropouts and save the 12mm dropouts for down the road when I get burlier wheels.

2)what is the actual bb height i have read many conflicting measurements? my current bb height on my id 5 is 13.5inches.

3)has anybody tried a longer rear shock. I know it has room for a 7 inch vs 6.5 rear shock if i use my burgtec offset bushings.

I am a long time GT love still have my 89karakoram and want to keep up with newish tech. But the AOS drive is out my $$ range for now.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Reelchef67; 01-09-2014 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    First, damn good move buying the distortion. Its such an amazing little bike, and so versatile. I've owned many, MANY bikes, and the distortion is easily top 3. Shame so many people are caught up in magazine-inspired categorization and can't see what a brilliant job GT did with this sucker.

Let me try and answer a few questions.

1) From what I understand the dropouts are swappable over to 135. I'm on the hunt myself for some 135s so I can use my wheels on both bikes. Tricky to find though!

2) I can't quite remember what the BB is, but its right around 13 IIRC. I will measure mine once I have wheels on it again.

3) don't. Just don't. What are you honestly going to gain from that longer shock? If the stock bike is 4.5" travel out of a 1.5" shock, you're going to get what, 5 and a bit? Don't bother. Were I you, I'd instead swap out the shock for something more advanced at the same size, and spend some money getting it tuned. The GT doesn't really feel that short on travel until you blast along into something ugly. The problem is though, is that the stupid bike is so fast and happy it heads right into the ugly stuff with a smile on its face. I've spoken to quite a few distortion owners, and all have said swapping out to a more advance shock made a big difference. Its my plan come springtime for sure.

Congrats again on the bike. It won't disappoint.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dropmachine I appreciate your help!
    I had read all there threads on here a lot yours etc.
    The frame comes with an rp23 shock yay i think.. Is there a preferred tune for disco and rp23? or..
    My first gt FS wA IDRIVE 5 med Alittle too big for me around here, I swapped to same bike size small. Only cost 150 for frame so not big investment which left me with an extra frame and 135 drop outs
    The small was better but I need a slacker HT even with the burgtec offset shock bushings I'm using .
    It will be my "one bike" for me for everything, though I live and ride on the shore Im not an extreme rider. I will take it to whistler eventually and maybe silver star. I have never done a shuttle ride ever. Last i rode 800 miles that was good for me it was all trails no road. So a capable pedally techy single track,xc/dh trail bike is what i need.
    Any other setup hints?
    Regards
    Erik

mtbr member
    I almost forgot I will be using my mars rlo44 fork straight not tapered
    I found this on ebay

Cane Creek 110 Conversion EC49 30 Bottom RED | eBay
    This is the right size as near as I can figure out. right?
    I will using the top cup i already have and use the ebay for bottom which includes reducer crown race. Eventually i will bet better forks and wheels and then I won't need new headset…

mtbr member
    I use the Distortion for everything. Its a stupid bike, in the sense that it doesnt' know what its supposed to do, so it just goes and does everything. It goes up, blasts down, rails corners...it sprints pretty damn well too! I just rebuilt mine with full XT and a new fork, and I cannot wait to see it on the trail. Can't wait.

If you have the RP23, I'd keep that. Were i you, I'd take the bike out with that, ride it a bunch of times and see how it feels. Then, if you find it lacking (you won't, but who knows) get it tuned. Tuned suspension beats more suspension any day.

If you're using the dropper post from X-Fusion, don't leave it upside down. Lube it too from time to time.

Top HS size is 44, lower is 49 I think. I just popped a king in there, and its good to go.

I found the wide bars to really suit the bike too. It does just love to get pushed deep into the corners.

i love that bike. Shame I'm up to my nuts in snow.
    Stuff.

mtbr member

gt distortion I have questions for owners

Thanks for the insight .
    Ill be using my turbine bar and stem 710/60mm hopefully that suits me at 5'8 on a medium..
    Actually just won my bid on the frame!
    It's a black medium frame 1.0 with rp23 both new
    Now I just ordered my headset and c clips for cables..
    Last edited by Reelchef67; 01-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member

the donor bike for the build up

Here.s my id 5 donor bike…
    Going onto 2011 distortion med 1.0 black frame.

form marz rlo44 140
    atlas 170 cranks
    x0 2x9
    deore 596 hydros with xt 180 rotors
    mavic cross ride wheels
    turbine bar725 and stem 60mm
    sh m545 pedals
    amp trek saddle
    xfusion hilo
    headset redVP zs top cap with cane creek standard 1.5 lower with 49/30 adapter crown for straight fork tubes.
    Burgtec titanium offset shock bushings

I have to get some new shift housing as distortions run full length housings.
    Should I go with red or black housing?

Last edited by Reelchef67; 01-09-2014 at 12:19 PM.