Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

GT Dirt Coalition

Just a heads up to those that are already on a GT. GT is creating a new Team,
    GT Dirt Coalition. They are not looking for top pros just people that love spreading the love. I will be one of the riders in 09 and have agreed to help spread the word as the search closes Feb. 5th. if your interested be sure get the low down at gtbicycles. If that dosen't peak your interest how about a free Zaskar or Marathon, Kits, EZ UP tent and Pro-deals on everything GT.

Update: The Team will be finalized on March 5th, All Applicants will be notified of their status regarding the Dirt Coalition.

leeunwin.com
    Last edited by leeunwin24hours; 01-29-2009 at 03:53 PM.

May the Force be with you
    I've been checking it out. I've been riding GT for years and I think this would be alot of fun.
    I'm submitting my entry this week.

mtbr member
    Great to see GT backing a grass roots racing program again....KUDOS
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just finished my entry a day ago. I had to do it three times since it kicked me out twice before I could finish it. So far, I think I'm the only one in Oklahoma City that has been rding and racing GTs since 97. I hope I get in.

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    I filled out the application, its doubtful that I'll be accepted since I have not raced in 3 years

But, on the plus side, I've had GTs since the 90's...... so maybe
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm hoping that it's more on the love for GT bikes than it is the racing. I'm an ok racer and I'm sure I can train and do better, but I know I can spread the word for GT better than anyone in Okc. Ok, except maybe a dealer. ) I can train and be fast, heck I used to be pretty good at the racing thing. I know I can do it, especially if I do it on a sweet GT Marathon Pro. LOL.

mtbr member

Love of Bikes and Life

I'm glad to see people going for it, I don't make the call and I'm glad I don't or the program would be broke. I can tell you for certain that GT is looking for the kind of people that you want to ride with and have a beer with not the guy that wins, but everyone hates. Posts and Pics from inside the GT Factory, Demo Tour, Races and Events comming soon.

Lee Unwin
    GT National Team Rider
    gtbicycles.com
    leeunwin.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow! What factory tour did you go on? Where? I went to the Trek tour last time I was in Madison, Wi. and I totally wished GT had one in Wisconsin so I could go and check out the GT factory. All I saw was a corporate building. I noticed on your blog site you (leeunwin24hours) are from Wisconsin. I'm from Oklahoma but I'm in training for GE Healthcare in Waukesha. I leave tomorrow but I'm gonna be back in May and I'm bringing my GT Force with me. Hopefully I'll also be bringing a GT Marathon Pro if all goes well and I get into the Coalition. I really want it to happen. Well, time to meet some colleagues for dinner. See you all later.

GT J

mtbr member

Inside GT

No factory tour, but I am going to bring that idea up now so thanks. GT is about 8 blocks from my house and part of my contract with them is to help spread the inside skinny on what's new and happening there, so when I get the OK on certain projects I will be taking pictures and getting them out there to groups like this before they hit the masses. I was in a meeting there on Tuesday and it's like being a kid in the WONKA factory, every room has something new happening in it. I have been riding for various companies for a long time, but that feeling never gets old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How about a program for old guys like me that don't race, but have 7 GTs hanging in the garage?

I think I've helped sell a few bikes over the years.

mtbr member

Old Guy Team

Ha, define old guy, I get my ass handed to me 2 or 3 times a year by Tinker and he has 10 years on me, so if you are anywhere near 45 this is a team for you. This feedback is great we are working on something for GT loyal riders it may be awhile but these things are on the table, GT has some really new folks trying to keep its base not just advertise to new folks.

XCRACER
    Nov 2004

Gt Team

I applied. Can only hope I’m one of the chosen ones. And I’m 43. Been riding GT since back in the day racing B.M.X. For me it would be an honor to race for GT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by leeunwin24hours
    Ha, define old guy, I get my ass handed to me 2 or 3 times a year by Tinker and he has 10 years on me, so if you are anywhere near 45 this is a team for you. This feedback is great we are working on something for GT loyal riders it may be awhile but these things are on the table, GT has some really new folks trying to keep its base not just advertise to new folks.
    I've got a few years on Tinker.
    I just realized I bought my first GT 19 years ago - now that's a scary thought.

mtbr member
    Last post to bring it back to the top of the rack, please get to the GT website and fill out an application. We want people who already love the product. It takes some time, but for a chance at $5000 worth of GT Product it's worth the time, costs nothing, and your odds are a lot better than the Lottery. After Thursday I will be working on a running thread that I will update on all the inside GT happenings.

XCRACER
    Nov 2004

Hey Lee

Great cross photo. Here is one of me racing the old ZRX. Man I hope I'm in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (63.9 KB, 833 views)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Dirty Coalition

GT Grassroots racing, the Golden bike Challenge, sweet lineup of Carbon hot rods...Its great to see GT back at it full force again. I dont know that any other manufacturer is stepping up to the plate like GT is this year. The only question is... who do we send the bribes to in order to get a spot on that team???

Air Pirate
    Think they would take someone working his way down from clydesdale to svelt cyclist? You know, sort of a science experiment that would appeal to the everyman: sponsor some schmuck who is just barely ride-fit, give him what he needs to race, and watch the pounds fly off and the brand exposure sail. Something akin to that Jarred with Subway.....but with wheels.

mtbr member

GT Thanks You

From everyone at GT thanks for taking the time to look at us and a special thanks to everyone that applied. I am going to leave this thread for selected team riders so that they can discuss everything from Racing to Beer. I will be posting here shortly on more exciting things at GT, think GOLD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for all the info Leeunwin. I wish all you guys that applied the best of luck. I hope I'm in. Go get'em GT fans!!!!

mtbr member

GT and NEMBA

Thanks to GT for teaming up with NEMBA in naming four New England members to the Dirt Coalition. Good luck fellow racers.

mtbr member
    Dirt Coalition has more places to talk GT, Blogspot, Facebook, Twitter. Sorry no Myspace I had to draw the line someplace. All can be reached through the Site.
    GTDirtCoalition.Blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So does anyone know how and when they will contact the chosen riders? Is it like a trickle thing in which some are announced at a time instead of everyone at once? Is there like a deadline for the announcements? I'm Just being nosy and impatient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Apparently everyone will be notified by March 5th by e-mail. The application asked for a contact phone number too so i guess those who don't have e-mail will be contacted that way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So has anyone else been offered a place on the team yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Do they give tours of the corporate office? I'd like to visit this late April early May when I'm in Milwaukee for training. That would be so cool. Maybe I should just drop by one of the days I'm there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, my first race is gonna be in two weeks. I'm gonna join the Sport class and see how it goes. I'm not ready to race at the top of the pack but I'm sure I can hold my own. Its gonna be around 18 miles. I'm sure I can handle that. I better get my 01 I-drive Team ready. She needs some TLC since I got my Force 2.0 and she doesn't get used.

mtbr member
    Sorry no official tours, but drop me a line before you come into town and we can go for a ride from there and a possible walk through, better yet show up for the noon hour Gun Show ride on thursdays.

April 1 is the Official final selection and notification date for the DC Team.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmm? What's the noon hour Gun Show ride? Sounds fun. I'm gonna be in Waukesha April 20th to May 15th. I'll definitely look you up for a ride and a possible walk through(crossing my fingers). I'll take my road bike and a mountain bike as well.

GT J

mtbr member
    With the date now set back to April 1, and race season underway in New England on the 4th, earlier elsewhere, When will the bikes, tents, clothing etc. be in the hands of the racers?

Will these first few races still qualify toward the seasons race commitment if we compete on our existing fleet of Giants, Treks, Fishers, Cannondales or whatever?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

april annoucement

i am gonna guess no, it does not count if you are not flying the flag and representing GT.
    hopefully they would let you choose another race. I assume most people selected for this will be doing WAY more than 6 races, so should not be a problem.

the anticipation is killing me though..... any sooner, one way or the other would be really cool.
    in the mean time, today is motor pacing Thursday, that should distract me..

romevelo

Awesome not Rad
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Hmm? What's the noon hour Gun Show ride? Sounds fun. I'm gonna be in Waukesha April 20th to May 15th. I'll definitely look you up for a ride and a possible walk through(crossing my fingers). I'll take my road bike and a mountain bike as well.

GT J
    I knew a girl from Atlanta named Waukesha, she had some serious junk in her trunk

Nooo

Sorry no official tours, but drop me a line before you come into town and we can go for a ride from there and a possible walk through, better yet show up for the noon hour Gun Show ride on thursdays.

April 1 is the Official final selection and notification date for the DC Team.
    No we have to know before April 1st. It's driving me crazy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjohn
    I knew a girl from Atlanta named Waukesha, she had some serious junk in her trunk
    You're funny dude!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll be racing on my 2001 GT I-drive Team, or on my Force, or on my Karakoram SS depending on the trail and conditions, but man would I love to be doing it on that Marathon Pro, sporting my GT duds. That's the only thing I don't have: GT Jersey.

XCRACER
    Nov 2004

Which bike?

You know, on my app. I selected the GT Marathon but know I'm thinking I should have gone with the Zaskar. I wonder if they will let me change my choice? Which bike did you guys select? Give me some feed back.

XCRACER
    Nov 2004

Which bike?

You know, on my app. I selected the GT Marathon but now I'm thinking I should have gone with the Zaskar. I wonder if they will let me change my choice? Which bike did you guys select? Give me some feed back.

The Marathon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

anbody know how many riders entered/Zaskar

Just curios. I put my entry in 2 days before the close, I think I was entry 200 and something. Anybody get back something much higher.

And, I went with the Zaskar. I have always preferred hard tails. ;Most the trails I ride are better suited to hard tails, plus I dig the clean look. And it is easier to get them superlight.
    The Zaskar looks hot. Not that I would have turned down the Marathon, I just really dig the hard tails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here but I picked a Marathon. I hope I get in.

entry 273

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hey, i got accepted today, and im kinda surprised. i haven't raced in a few years, and when i did race i didnt really do 6 races in a year. i race track and road collegiately but i havent competed in mtb races due to injuries. i was wondering if anyone knows if college mtb races will work for the gt dirt coalition. also, does anyone know of any east coast races this spring and summer, im trying to plan things out to see if i can work out this dirt coalition thing. i really wanna do it, but i just want to make sure i can. any advice would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congratulations!!!

Your very lucky to be accepted to the team!!!

What races did you put on your application? That's a good start! I don't see why collage races wouldn't count, you'd still be setting up your tent, representing, and generally spreading the GT love!

Probably best to confirm that with the coalition though dude.

Not that i'm expecting to be accepted but if i was i'd be rocking up to every singe romotely cycling related event and get as much exposure as humanly possible. As a few other guys have mentioned, i also expect to race well over my six races.

Once again dude, congrats!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Skeem,

Lots of east coast races already posted on Bikereg.com.
    Congrats - where east coast are ya?
    I'm certain Collegiate races will count for you.
    Got my letter yesterday as well.

H

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by skeem
    hey, i got accepted today, and im kinda surprised. i haven't raced in a few years, and when i did race i didnt really do 6 races in a year. i race track and road collegiately but i havent competed in mtb races due to injuries. i was wondering if anyone knows if college mtb races will work for the gt dirt coalition. also, does anyone know of any east coast races this spring and summer, im trying to plan things out to see if i can work out this dirt coalition thing. i really wanna do it, but i just want to make sure i can. any advice would be greatly appreciated
    How were you notified? Again Congrats and have fun with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So for all the guys that were accepted already, what application number were you? I'm wondering if they are going down the line or just randomly picking people. Well, I'm gonna go ride now. The weather is at 67 deg. F. in Okc. so I better go now before the weather turns cold. My lights are charged up and ready to go. C U all in a few hours.
    Still loving my GT's!! find me on the "GT Bike Group" page on FB. I hardly ever hang out in here anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was notified via email. and i said id do some college races and this other one i know of near me, but the thing is, in collegiate races you have to wear the team kits from your school. so i figure that could be a big problem. im going to have to find more races that i can feasibly do so i dont waste my time and GT's time. anyone know of any east coast races this spring/ summer that aren't collegiate only?i checked on usa cyclings site and there were zero races listed. when i used to race i had a coach/ friend find the races for me, and im kinda lost in this modern world of non collegiate racing. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now what

Quote Originally Posted by skeem
    i was notified via email. and i said id do some college races and this other one i know of near me, but the thing is, in collegiate races you have to wear the team kits from your school. so i figure that could be a big problem. im going to have to find more races that i can feasibly do so i dont waste my time and GT's time. anyone know of any east coast races this spring/ summer that aren't collegiate only?i checked on usa cyclings site and there were zero races listed. when i used to race i had a coach/ friend find the races for me, and im kinda lost in this modern world of non collegiate racing. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Did they give you any idea when your supplies will arrive? You were notified today?
    Best of luck to you. I'm sure your going to have a blast with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where to race on the East Coast?

If your in New Belgium (New England for those people who don't race 'cross ) it's all about the Rt. 66 Series and EFTA races. You should know that if your from this neck of the woods...

You have to throw in as many marathon races as you can too!

What college? This semester I'll be out of mine in RI...

And I'm off to the bar ,
    -brad

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone else from Ohio get accepted yet?

Hope to hear something soon!

mtbr member

Kits

Bikes and Kits should be in by Mid-March, that is if everything goes as planned. Some riders have been contacted already, but not all. GT is creating a web-site for the team, however the blogpot listed below my name is one of the quickest ways to stay up to date with the happenings of the Team, you can also link through the blogspot to facebook and twitter. I am a team member helping out and updating these sites so please be patient with me as I run my own business and am racing around the U.S. myself. Hope to have more by Friday.

mtbr member
    I will be a team member this year. It should be really cool. I was notified a few days ago via E-mail. I have no idea what application number I was or exactly what criteria they used. I've raced for many years. And I plan on doing about 15 races this year. 4- 24 hour solos a couple of 12 hour races and a few 6 hour and a number of XC races. If anyone needs help finding races on the east coast, I live in Pennsylvania and I'm sure I could help you find a ton of races. I used to race Expert, but missed a year due to illness and now I'm more like a sport level guy. Other than that, of course, I love to ride and love the sport, I think that's the best criteria. what GT is doing is awesome. I'll see the other coaliton team members on the trail.. even if it's only in spirit. GO GT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congrats mate, you'l have a ball!

I love that fact that GT is giving everyone a chance, not just the super fast elite racers!

Whatever the criteria used i'm sure you deserve it. In my application i went for a bit more emphasis on tech support and race presence, due to me also running in sport clas mostly.
    Whether or not they like that i dunno, but i guess i'll find out soon!

Good work buddy and have good luck at the races!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

Great Grass Roots program!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You know...if there was a Dirt Coalition t-shirt or jersey for us regular (non-racer) types, I'd probably wear it every time I rode. (hint, hint)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, I guess I'll be riding my GT Force in my first race. The crank rings on my I-Drive Team are worn out and skipping so I'm gonna ride the Force against all these skinny, scalpel riding, epic toating, Category 2 racers. My question is, should I wear lycra or go with baggies to complete the all mountain rider look? LOL. I went and checked out the course today and I think my Force can handle the uphills. It's gonna be fun.
    Still loving my GT's!! find me on the "GT Bike Group" page on FB. I hardly ever hang out in here anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So, do you get to keep the bike and all the stuff at the end of the season or do you have to return it all? Cuz if I get picked, I'll be using it again next season! LOL!

mtbr member
    The bikes become the rider's upon completion of a season per the contract. If the rider doesn't comply with the terms of the contract the company can reclaim the bike. The tents remain the property of GT and are to be returned on demand.

At least that's how I read my agreement...

Good luck to all!

H

Has anyone got picked form California?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Has anyone gotten any good news? I sure hope so. I haven't gotten any. Just checking. I'm gonna start repairing my 2001 I-Drive Team bike just in case I don't get in. 2001 and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well it's official, i won't be joining you guys on the Dirt Coalition.

Just wanna thank the guys at GT for considering me for the team and Lee for keeping us all updated with whats going on.

I'll be keeping an eye on the website when it's up and the blogg for all the latest as it happens and good luck to all 39 of you for the racing year ahead.

Well, looks like i'll be saving up for my Marathon. Anyone wanna buy a Ruckus iDrive?

Thanks again and good luck!

Eatyapeas
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

Me too. I found the e-mail in my in box as well. Maybe next year.
    Good Luck to everyone that made the Team!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I got mine too. I won't deny it I'm a little disillutioned. I just hope that all the ones who were chosen were really chosen for the love of the brand and not for their ability to put big numbers on race day. I guarantee you that there is No one here in Oklahoma that could have represented GT better than me. Yes, I know it sounds cocky but people recognize me at races just cuz of my GT I-drive Team frame and are always inquiring on how it works, and I'm happy to show them all. Don't get me wrong, I'm still representing GT cuz I know the value of the brand, I just hope I don't see the racer type that has never owned a GT sitting in a DC tent preaching what he doesn't believe in. Good luck to you all true GT fans. Thank you so much to Lee for all of his info and patience. I hope I get to meet you when I go to Wisconsin for GE training. Yes, I'll be taking my GT I-Drive, 8 years old and still kicking.

GT J

I hear what your saying. I'm thinking it's more of the race thing is why most got picked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got mine too. I won't deny it I'm a little disillutioned. I just hope that all the ones who were chosen were really chosen for the love of the brand and not for their ability to put big numbers on race day. I guarantee you that there is No one here in Oklahoma that could have represented GT better than me. Yes, I know it sounds cocky but people recognize me at races just cuz of my GT I-drive Team frame and are always inquiring on how it works, and I'm happy to show them all. Don't get me wrong, I'm still representing GT cuz I know the value of the brand, I just hope I don't see the racer type that has never owned a GT sitting in a DC tent preaching what he doesn't believe in. Good luck to you all true GT fans. Thank you so much to Lee for all of his info and patience. I hope I get to meet you when I go to Wisconsin for GE training. Yes, I'll be taking my GT I-Drive, 8 years old and still kicking.

GT J
    I got my rejection email too. I haven't seen all the selected riders, but the ones I have seen aren't that fast. Frankly, I have no idea what the basis of GT's decisions were. Time will tell if this marketing strategy creates sales or just pisses off "core" riders who were rejected. I look forwarding to "notching" as many of their riders as I can.

mtbr member
    Charley, I'll expect you on my left soon, and you'll have plenty of room to get by. We'll talk it over with a brew or two after I finish.

I'm pretty sure that being fast wasn't the first criteria, if it was I wouldn't have been picked.

Other credentials - involvement in advocacy, relationships with shops, visibility in the biking community, someone you want to ride with, those I can believe.

From one of Lee's early posts here...

'I can tell you for certain that GT is looking for the kind of people that you want to ride with and have a beer with not the guy that wins, but everyone hates.'

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    Charley, I'll expect you on my left soon, and you'll have plenty of room to get by. We'll talk it over with a brew or two after I finish.

I'm pretty sure that being fast wasn't the first criteria, if it was I wouldn't have been picked.

Other credentials - involvement in advocacy, relationships with shops, visibility in the biking community, someone you want to ride with, those I can believe.

'I can tell you for certain that GT is looking for the kind of people that you want to ride with and have a beer with not the guy that wins, but everyone hates.'
    Yes, I can see that perspective. However, I'm a fast racer who does a lot to advocate the sport. The following paragraph sums up my application to GT. I was stunned when they showed no interest. What do you think?

I started riding mountain bikes in 1993 and began racing them in 1995. I am an Expert level (Cat 1) mountain bike racer competing in over 6 races per year. I earned podium finishes in the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association (TMBRA) marathon series for 2007 and 2008. I have completed five 24 Hour solo races since 2005, finishing in the top three in four of those races. I won the solo division of the 2006 24 Hours of Clear Springs, defeating 11 other solo competitors. I took 2nd place in the solo division at the 2008 24 Hours of Clear Springs, riding 170 miles of single track including over 16,000 feet of climbing and over 20 hours of saddle time. I am the fastest marathon mountain bike racer in Louisiana and Mississippi, and the fastest XC racer over 45 in both states. I was the chief race promoter for the Baton Rouge Battle XC race in 2007 and 2008. In 2008 I served as Vice-President of the Baton Rouge Area Mountain Bike Association (BRAMBA) and played an instrumental role in bringing the club back from the dead. In 2009, I am serving as BRAMBA's ride chairman. I have spent significant hours building and maintaining our local trails over the years. On 12/12/08 I was the full-page cover subject for the entertainment/leisure section of Baton Rouge's paper (The Advocate) with a circulation of 175,000 and went on to win the race the paper's article was promoting. http://www.mbcx.com/racerprofiles/di...=99-1126146772

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I suspect that GT gave heavy emphasis to giving bikes to folks that already ride GTs and who have a close relationship with a successful GT dealership. We only have one GT dealership in town, and I have never seen a GT bike there. If I were a marketing person, I would think it would be prudent to try to expand markets for GT's bikes. If that is the case, it would be no where but up for GT where I live in terms of market presence and sales. I guess their marketing folks see it another way. In the end, they can give their bikes to whomever they please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv

Congratulations on being chosen! And yes, I'd like to have a beer after the race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I forgot something very important in my application to GT's program. This program is about selling bikes and making money. I got caught up in the whole "competitive spirit and commitment to cycling” language. I drive thousands of miles every year to race and ride. I pay for and work on my own equipment. I am a zealot for the sport, and have hundreds of admirers locally. I thought, "This program is me!". I won't be so foolish and naive again!
    Last edited by charley; 03-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm very proud of this too:

http://www.bramba.org/forum/viewtopi...233911c5343cf7

And if you have any doubts relative to the competitiveness of the 24 Hours of Clear Springs, I invite all of you to come and line up against me. The race is held at the end of October each year. Come on down and put me in my place. If you can do it, I'll be the first to shake your hand and give you a beer. Lee, come on down and show me how it's done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I do wonder now what the criteria was Charley. I'm the opposite of you when it comes to your racing expertise. I race but is mostly for the atmosphere. I have been riding GT's since I discovered mountain biking. I'm very involved with my GT dealer. Heck they ordered my GT Force 2.0 even before knowing I was gonna buy it. If that's not a relationship I don't know what is. The guy called me up and said we have something you might wann look at. He didn't even tell me what it was. I showed up the next day and bought the thing. I'm always giving my time to the local trail help and even became a board member of our local club but my work schedule was too erratic so I couldn't continue doing that. I'm always riding with buddies, some fast and some slow. I love the sport and the GT brand. All I wanted was a chance to show it to everyone else with a legitimate GT tent, bike and gear. I am grateful for the chance to tryout though. I personally don't wish to pass the DC racer just to show off and say GT made the wrong choice. I just know GT would have had one heck of a supporter with me. Hey maybe Oklahoma is not a big market for them, which of course that would suck but I understand. Especially since I make annual trips to Colorado, Wisconsin, Moab, Texas and Arkansas. I do go to those places but it is for fun and not for racing. Good luck to all who were chosen, don't dissapoint the GT hardcore lovers.

GT J

mtbr member

2009 Team is Posted

The Team The team has been finalized and can bee see at the Team link or at the GT Dirt Coalitions Blogspot.
    Updates on the team and happenings at GT soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Team looks good. Lots of people from Cali and Colorado. Main spots for mountain biking. Only one guy from Texas or around my area. It's gonna be cool watching them do their thing. There is a couple of Texas races where I may see the Texas guy but most likely I won't. I still don't know his schedule so maybe I can go and meet him and hang out at the DC tent if he does a couple of races around my area. I can't wait to go to Wisconsin and visit the GT offices. Well, I hope I can visit. It's gonna be an exciting year for GT.

GT Dirt Coalition
    Well, I hope I can visit. .
    Jorgito, please come by and visit at any venue, I will race every TMBRA XC race this season (Both spring and Fall, not much on the marathon series). I am so proud to showcase GT and IMBA. I am so very humbled that they chose me. I'm no slouch, but I certainly am not the fast of the fast; so I hope my brother racer's of oh-so-near middle, but we keep afar, -middle age come join us with a cold cerveza after the races!

Few, Fast, Dirty,
    Jim
    Last edited by JimThomas; 03-11-2009 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am curious about the riders that “made the cut”. I looked at the USA Cycling results for the GT Dirt Coalition riders. Being the “Dirt Coalition”, I think it is reasonable to presume that selected riders would primarily race mountain bikes. Here’s what I found:

9 of the Coalitions riders, or 23 percent, had no results on USA Cycling.
    6 of the Coalition riders, or 15 percent, had only road racing results on USA Cycling.
    15 of the Coalition riders, or 38 percent, had no mountain bike racing results on USA Cycling (this statistic is the sum of the two statistics above).
    There were also two riders with one result on USA Cycling, a mountain biking DNF.
    Another rider had only one result on USA Cycling, an 8th place result out of 14 starters.

I saw about a half dozen riders who I would consider to be “fast”.

I realize that states like Colorado and Oregon have their own sanctioning body for races. As such, some riders might have few or none results from USA Cycling. However, if they are serious racers, they would race outside their home states too, where USA Cycling is more likely to be the sanctioning body. I also realize that some of the women might have married and changed their names. However, there was no way to check on that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by charley
    I am curious about the riders that “made the cut”. I looked at the USA Cycling results for the GT Dirt Coalition riders. Being the “Dirt Coalition”, I think it is reasonable to presume that selected riders would primarily race mountain bikes. Here’s what I found:

6 of the Coalition riders, or 15 percent, had only road racing results on USA Cycling.
    15 of the Coalition riders, or 38 percent, had no mountain bike racing results on USA Cycling (this statistic is the sum of the two statistics above).
    There were also two riders with one result on USA Cycling, a mountain biking DNF.
    Another rider had only one result on USA Cycling, an 8th place result out of 14 starters.

I realize that states like Colorado and Oregon have their own sanctioning body for races. As such, some riders might have few or none results from USA Cycling. However, if they are serious racers, they would race outside their home states too, where USA Cycling is more likely to be the sanctioning body. I also realize that some of the women might have married and changed their names. However, there was no way to check on that.
    Wow, I am not sure where I should even start with this one. First, I did make the cut and no, I do not have an USA Cycling license. And no, I do not plan on getting one as long as I can. Its funny to think that to be considered a "serious" racer, I need to compete in the national schedule and travel the US with the other "serious" racers. I guess I will have to tell all the race promoters of the races that I am doing that they don't have a serious race, because they aren't associated with USA Cycling.

I would imagine, there are quite a few more races going on than what USA Cycling puts on there schedule. That doesn't mean that there isn't tough competition at those races. I, for example, am doing all endurance races. How many 24 hour or 100 mile races are part of the USA Cycling schedule?? I would say not as many that aren't. That doesn't mean that those not included are not valid races.

And why does USA Cycling have to be the standard that all others have to meet?? I traveled to many of those races for the past 2 years with my job supporting teams and have to say that some of those races are poor venues, poor media coverage, and poor spectator participation. I would imagine, if you talked to many of the "pros", they wouldn't do all those fantastic USA Cycling races that you talk about. You pay XX amount for a license, you pay XX to enter a race and you get squat back from them. For those who are trying to make a living race those races, its impossible to come out ahead, which is why you see those guys and gals racing other things, cyclo-cross, road and anything else.

And lastly, if you paid attention to everything that was mentioned about the GT Dirt Coalition, selection wasn't all about racing. It is about marketing the brand. It is about marketing the sport of mountain biking. It is about improving the sport that we all love. Do you think a pure race team cares if you have an IMBA membership?? Do you think any of the big names that only get to race the USA Cycling schedule have an IMBA membership and do trail work? Highly unlikely. The whole point of the Dirt Coalition, from what I can tell, is doing more to make the sport better and having an emphasis on racing. If they wanted pure racers, they would put their booth up at Interbike and let the resumes come in. I've worked at Interbike for a large company and can say, I have come home with more than 1000 highly skilled racer's resumes. And guess what, that's what they were all about, racing. Not helping community and grow the sport.

OK, I am not getting off my soap box. I am sorry to the GT company if I have said something I shouldn't have, I did not mean to offend, I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Charley, you are one pathetic sore loser. Can you stop whining already? Do you think GT is going to say " oh sorry Charley, here have a spot on the DC"? It's obvious why GT didn't pick you. I wouldn't want you representing my brand.

How about you email all the other bike companies and ask for a free bike? Get back to us with how that works out. Maybe you can start another thread whining about how they didn't respond to you.

Primative Screwhead
    I am a zealot for the sport, and have hundreds of admirers locally. I thought, "This program is me!". I won't be so foolish and naive again!
    Hey! I have hundreds of admirers locally as well! Such a nuisance, eh?

We should start our own team, call it TEAM AWESOME, or something, and we could challenge sponsored riders to races and rub their noses in it when they lose because they are not nearly as awesome as us even if they do ride free bikes which we actually deserve more than they do because...because we win all the time, and...and...is anybody listening? Hello? GT?

Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member

Dirt Coalition

Yes, we are always listening. We wish everyone the best in their racing season and encourage you to learn more about the team and its members as we will be recruiting riders again next year. We don't mind getting beat by faster riders, sure it stings a little but we hope you will at least have a beer with us after the race is over.

To team members, bikes, ezup tents and kits are on the way.

mtbr member
    The NEMBA tent arrived in Massachusetts today (the frame box was a little dinged up, but seems to be OK). Can't wait to see the rest of the kit.

Primative Screwhead

Well...

Yes, we are always listening. We wish everyone the best in their racing season and encourage you to learn more about the team and its members as we will be recruiting riders again next year. We don't mind getting beat by faster riders, sure it stings a little but we hope you will at least have a beer with us after the race is over.

To team members, bikes, ezup tents and kits are on the way.

...I'm assuming that you knew my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek there.

In all seriousness, the Dirt Coalition does make so much more sense than just a sponsored 'pro-ride'. At the end of the day, riding MTB is all about having fun with your mates and appreciating the great-outdoors. Enjoyment from those endures for far longer than a 'win' in a bike race. I'll be interested to see if they start it up here in Australia.

Which leads me to think...isn't the whole Golden Bike prize (and the way it is marketed on the GT site) at cross purposes with this grass roots development Dirt Coalition idea?
    It's almost as if they hired two marketing teams to come up with promotional strategies without talking to each other......not that I'd say no to a Golden Bike (those cranks! )
    Last edited by Feideaux; 03-14-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Primative Screwhead
    double post

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's what I gathered from all the discussions going on in this forum. They chose some racers, they chose some guys who have never ridden GT bikes, they chose hardcore GT lovers, they chose guys who love to have fun on a bike, they chose guys who are involved with trail advocacy, and they chose guys who like beer too. Now put "didn't choose" in all the places where I wrote "chose" and you'll get the idea Yep they chose whoever they thought was gonna do the best at what GT wants them to do. They chose a bunch of different people. Hey Charley complains cuz he's a racer that wasnt' chosen, then you have me on the other side wich is totally the opposite. I help build trails, I love GT bikes (that's all I own), and I love to race but I don't have a wall of trophies. But in our place they chose those people that may be just like us but maybe in a better market or some other reason. It's like this, you were chosen or not. That's how it is. And about the contradicting Golden Bike thing: You have to be a Non sponsored racer to get it, just like the D.C. it is GT giving a rider a chance to ride a great bike. and yes of course, marketing a product. I'm signing up next year for the D.C. The only thing I really lacked this year was racing, so I'll have a better racing resume next year, but I'm still gonna have fun like I always do. See you all out there.

GTJ

Primative Screwhead
    And about the contradicting Golden Bike thing: You have to be a Non sponsored racer to get it, just like the D.C.
    GTJ
    I get it - no pro riders are eligible- but the marketing of it is out of kilter with the DC vibe. They flat out say you're a loser (their words, not mine) if you come in second place. That's what I meant with being at cross purposes with the 'good times' DC team marketing.

Whatever - I'm over analysing. Good luck to all those who are chasing both!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think it's awesome they are doing both. It's catering to both types of riders, the racer and the soul rider.

mtbr member

Tents/Bikes

Tents are out and up. Kits are going out this week and bikes are following.Sorry no Gold Bikes for us.

mtbr member

Seen At GT

I'm going to try to post a series of pics from inside GT, at my last meeting Louis the Demo manager was there on his stop back from Rays. The Demo Van is getting a new skin just before Sea Otter so if you are there don't look for this design. I got a peak inside the back and here is the treasure trove I found.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice!!!! Do they have any of the Gt Team frames at the GT headquarters? I've never seen one up close. I'm gonna go visit Madison this April or May while I'm up in Millwaukee training.

mtbr member

Inside GT Pics

What's at headquarters is always uncertain as it is primarily office and some prototype designs. If you come up to Madison be sure to give me lead time and I will see if I can arrange a eye candy tour of the facility. Here are a couple shots inside, notice the little gold case in the corner, not sure yet whats inside that, but should be good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I will definitely give you a heads up when I go there. I would love to go to a manufacturing plant but GT doesn't have one any near Oklahoma City or by Wisconsin. I would love to know what's on that golden case...Even if I just get to see the headquarters and whatever comes up I'll be pretty happy. I'm a big GT head so it's all good to me. I'll give you the details of my training schedule and maybe we can work something out. Thanks Leeunwin.

GT J

The Gold Case = Money!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mdplayer
    Wow, I am not sure where I should even start with this one. First, I did make the cut and no, I do not have an USA Cycling license. And no, I do not plan on getting one as long as I can. Its funny to think that to be considered a "serious" racer, I need to compete in the national schedule and travel the US with the other "serious" racers. I guess I will have to tell all the race promoters of the races that I am doing that they don't have a serious race, because they aren't associated with USA Cycling.

I would imagine, there are quite a few more races going on than what USA Cycling puts on there schedule. That doesn't mean that there isn't tough competition at those races. I, for example, am doing all endurance races. How many 24 hour or 100 mile races are part of the USA Cycling schedule?? I would say not as many that aren't. That doesn't mean that those not included are not valid races.

And why does USA Cycling have to be the standard that all others have to meet?? I traveled to many of those races for the past 2 years with my job supporting teams and have to say that some of those races are poor venues, poor media coverage, and poor spectator participation. I would imagine, if you talked to many of the "pros", they wouldn't do all those fantastic USA Cycling races that you talk about. You pay XX amount for a license, you pay XX to enter a race and you get squat back from them. For those who are trying to make a living race those races, its impossible to come out ahead, which is why you see those guys and gals racing other things, cyclo-cross, road and anything else.

And lastly, if you paid attention to everything that was mentioned about the GT Dirt Coalition, selection wasn't all about racing. It is about marketing the brand. It is about marketing the sport of mountain biking. It is about improving the sport that we all love. Do you think a pure race team cares if you have an IMBA membership?? Do you think any of the big names that only get to race the USA Cycling schedule have an IMBA membership and do trail work? Highly unlikely. The whole point of the Dirt Coalition, from what I can tell, is doing more to make the sport better and having an emphasis on racing. If they wanted pure racers, they would put their booth up at Interbike and let the resumes come in. I've worked at Interbike for a large company and can say, I have come home with more than 1000 highly skilled racer's resumes. And guess what, that's what they were all about, racing. Not helping community and grow the sport.

OK, I am not getting off my soap box. I am sorry to the GT company if I have said something I shouldn't have, I did not mean to offend, I just couldn't bite my tongue any longer.
    At least read my bio before you characterize me as "just another racer." I know plenty of "fast" guys who just show up to race. I'm not that guy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by numchuks
    Charley, you are one pathetic sore loser. Can you stop whining already? Do you think GT is going to say " oh sorry Charley, here have a spot on the DC"? It's obvious why GT didn't pick you. I wouldn't want you representing my brand.

How about you email all the other bike companies and ask for a free bike? Get back to us with how that works out. Maybe you can start another thread whining about how they didn't respond to you.
    Hmmm....

Not worth it, later.

mtbr member

GTDirtCoalition.com Site is Active

Ok I know a lot of you have wanted to put faces with names and take a look at members blogs so here it is. GT Dirt Coalition.com will be managed by Active.com, the blog, facebook, twitter and this thread will all stay alive, but will contain a behind the scenes look at GT and the team. The site was activated last night so it is still growing, in fact my mug and info are not on there yet, however in a couple weeks it should be humming.

Oh and I am sick of everyone yelling at each other, save that for the roadies and if you are a roadie as well, take a joke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK, I'm over it. Good luck to you guys!

mtbr member

Sea Otter

The Golden Bike,GT Dirt Coalition, and the New Demo Ambulance will be on hand at the Sea Otter Classic, if you are going or are in the area stop in and test ride some of the knew bikes, tell them you saw the post here and they might even have something extra for ya.

small print disclaimer, while supplies last.

Looks like I will be there. I'll stop by and see my Friend Joe Gomes working the event.
    See you guy's there.

Shred all that can be
    Ye who first posted the tent, Leeuwin is that a picture of the charlottesville downtown mall?
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Leeunwin,

I sent you a private message about my visit to Millwaukee and possibly a visit to the GT corp. office. I'm leaving Oklahoma City this weekend and arriving in Mill. on Sunday. I'm taking my roadie and my mountain bike so I can ride on the weekends. I hope you have the time. I'll talk to you later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0