Weekend Warrior

GT, Cannondale, and Mongoose: The Perfect Concept Store Triad?

I noticed that fewer shops these days carry higher end GT bikes, making them more of a special order delicacy. The same can be said for the top-end Mongoose models. However, there are some shops out there that do carry the nicer stuff, but overall, not nearly enough as there should be. Should Dorel consider opening up concept stores that showcase bikes from Cannondale, GT, and Mongoose all in the same showroom? I've seen some examples of the Trek and Specialized concept stores, and I think that those would be good examples to emulate.

In thinking about this, I have been puzzled by one thing. Why does Trek and Specialized need concept stores? Don't they already have a strong following with locally owned IBD's already? To me, it seems like they're stabbing the backs of all the loyal local purveyors of their products that can be threatened with the prospect of a Specialized concept store robbing business; think of what the "Apple Store" did to all those now-defunct indie Mac dealers. GT/Mongoose, on the other hand, is not getting the attention and support from IBD's it deserves (seriously, both brands make great products that deserve far more attention). So in the case of GT/Mongoose, I say screw the IBD's, and go solo with their own concept stores that would include Cannondale as their premier brand. If IBD store owners want to play the brand elitism game and neglect GT/Dorel, then Dorel should strike full force with some very nice, ultra-modern, upscale concept stores. Place these flashy concept stores in high-income yuppie shopping complexes, and watch the dollars roll in. What do you think?
    2009 Trek FuelEX 8: Rocking out XT/XTR components, Xyclone Disc wheels, and Fox Suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't like the idea cuz then there will be more GT rides out there. Yes I'm selfish. LOL. I like the fact that I can roll into a race or group ride and see dozens of Treks and Specialized and only one or two GTs, but it would be great for the brand since they would sell more therefore keeping GT alive and kicking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMacDaddy
    I noticed that fewer shops these days carry higher end GT bikes, making them more of a special order delicacy. The same can be said for the top-end Mongoose models. However, there are some shops out there that do carry the nicer stuff, but overall, not nearly enough as there should be. Should Dorel consider opening up concept stores that showcase bikes from Cannondale, GT, and Mongoose all in the same showroom? I've seen some examples of the Trek and Specialized concept stores, and I think that those would be good examples to emulate.

In thinking about this, I have been puzzled by one thing. Why does Trek and Specialized need concept stores? Don't they already have a strong following with locally owned IBD's already? To me, it seems like they're stabbing the backs of all the loyal local purveyors of their products that can be threatened with the prospect of a Specialized concept store robbing business; think of what the "Apple Store" did to all those now-defunct indie Mac dealers. GT/Mongoose, on the other hand, is not getting the attention and support from IBD's it deserves (seriously, both brands make great products that deserve far more attention). So in the case of GT/Mongoose, I say screw the IBD's, and go solo with their own concept stores that would include Cannondale as their premier brand. If IBD store owners want to play the brand elitism game and neglect GT/Dorel, then Dorel should strike full force with some very nice, ultra-modern, upscale concept stores. Place these flashy concept stores in high-income yuppie shopping complexes, and watch the dollars roll in. What do you think?
    Money up. What sells in most markets? The concept you are talking about will work where??? Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, rich burbs in the rockies and Cali that's not the whole country. The numbers sold in the big dollar bikes aren't what you think they are. Most dealers would be doing themselves better if they stopped ordering the entry level bike and sold each buyer up 50-100 dollars. They'd be far more profitable. You do realize that you can put 10 300 dollar bikes on the floor for the cost of one full zoot 3K free rider or high end cross country bike. Your shops going to have six bikes on the floor to show customers and the guy down the street's going to have between 40 and 60 with the same dollars tied up in inventory. Who can better service and sell the customers? Not you because you have zero selection. Who are they going to want to order a high zoot big dollar bike from a guy with a floor full of bikes or a guy with six bikes? It's a fine balance and unless a shop is in a high income neighborhood or has gradually built the higher buck bike market over many years of supporting teams and rides it's not a good model for the average shop.
    80/20 rule
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Don't forget Schwinn. Schwinn sales the most units of these brands and I am talking IBD models. Rumor had it that Dorel was going to buy Performance. Performance then would be the "concept store". Last I heard they have dropped that plan. But Performance is the closest Concept store you will see from Dorel, unless REI becomes a concept store.