Thread: GT Bravado

mtbr member

GT Bravado

Hi guys, here's a rebuild I just finished of my NOS GT Bravado frame.

Total rebuild utilising a GT Bravado 631 Reynolds mint condition frame. The parts used in the rebuild are brand new.

I did post this bike under the "Vintage, Retro,.." thread but nobody seemed that interested in the build. Thought I'd post it here with other GT's. What do you think?

Specs

GT Bravado Frame
    Race Face Ride ISIS BB and Chainset
    Manitou Axel Forks
    ITM Over 5 Stem and Handlebars
    FSA Orbit Headset
    Hope Spacers
    Deore LX 2008 27 speed Brake / Shifters
    Deore Front Mech
    Deore LX Rear Derailleur
    FSA Carbon Seatpost
    WTB SSTX Saddle
    Toxin Grips and Pyrotec Carbon Bar Ends
    XTR Cabling & QR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sneaker man
    yeah vintage frame without the vintage bits won't really float their boat, btu if your gunna use it, then wahts it matter... persoanlly don't like the stem or fork, but thats me...

but for sure, get some real pedals!!!

tip, zaskars come ball burnished, don't think xizangs do (polished and matt)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git
    yeah vintage frame without the vintage bits won't really float their boat, btu if your gunna use it, then wahts it matter... persoanlly don't like the stem or fork, but thats me...

tip, zaskars come ball burnished, don't think xizangs do (polished and matt)
    Thanks for the post.

Yeah I'm not fussed on the forks either but got them really cheap 2nd hand, only 20. Stems a little bit too long but had been laying around the garage for a while still in its box. Bike does seem quite light and compares well with 7005 frame builds.

Taking it out today for a spin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git

Yep really cheap and nasty!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Should go for a single speed Nice looking bike indeed. Let us know how disk/V combo works on those hills, not to mention rain you folks get there. What type of trail is it out there? I’d guess from your bar ends it must be some hilly country.

Not too vintage any more, but I would rather put on modern parts if they do the same thing as the vintage parts do, but do it better. There are darn good reasons why modern bikes have better components, suspensions and disk brakes. If those parts can be used on vintage frame and make your backcountry riding as a joyful experience, then I’d go for it. I understand the nostalgia parts of it too, but my shoulders (broken twice already) can’t take the beating any more, and I happened to like a consistent, silent, modulated braking. Also I don’t have spaces in my garage to keep unabusable bikes! Enjoy your ride, that’s all it matters.

mtbr member
    Here's a view of my backyard - Cwm Taf, Wales
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice view, nice bike too

mtbr member
    OK so I took the bike for a ride today. Not too far about 12miles.

WOW what a difference the Reynolds setup is to 6061 or 7005. This bike is really responsive especially when climbing a gradient. I was being careful, didn't want to 'hurt' it on it's first outing (that will change - trust me). Frame feels as if it could take a hell of a beating.

This is a long distance trekking machine, really comfortable. Not as responsive in rough XC terrain as a small 6061 frame but I didn't build it for that. I am seriously contemplating putting semi slicks on it and use it as my long distance ride.

I did stop in the pub on the way back and had a really good reponse from the local crew (even a few offers to buy it).

Took some pics of the ride but for some reason my PC has decided to stop recognising my phone so I can't upload any. Will try again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I like it Gadro, ride the tires off it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nice build

any updates on this? that fork is adjustable, right (70-100mm)? how's it working out?