mtbr member
    May 2009

GT Avalanche sizing questions, please help!

Hi all.

I'm wanting to buy a GT Avalanche 1.0 (2008 model) but I don't know what frame size will suit me best.
    Unfortunately there are no local bike shops near me that stock the GT Avalanche.

I am 6'1" in height with an inside leg measurement of 32".

A few people have told me that medium should be fine but I am not convinced.
    I've seen a few people who are 5'8 - 5'10 who ride medium and say it's perfect, so surely it'll be too small for me?

I'm fairly sure I need the large but just want a bit of confirmation.

mtbr member
    I'm 6ft tall and I ride a large. I think a large would be the best size for you as well..

What could go wrong ...
    +1 ... get a large frame
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep. By coincidence mate i'm 6'1" with a 33" Inseam. I work in a GT dealer and spent a lotta time playing around with sizes. All my bikes (apart from my Ruckus iDrive) are larges.

I'd go with that dude
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Definetly go large. My inseam is an inch less and I am 5'10" and I ride a large Zaskar.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Another large vote. I'm 6' with a 33 inch inseam and ride a large, love it, fits amazing. I also work at a shop that carries GT and have tried out a few sizes and would have to say that a medium would be way too small for you.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A large it is then.

Thanks guys, will hopefully order it soon.

mtbr member
    Large! I bought my son a medium and he's only 5'7". They seem to run more on the small side or should I say tweener size. My sons Haro small is nearly the same size as the Avalanche medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters
    Large! I bought my son a medium and he's only 5'7". They seem to run more on the small side or should I say tweener size. My sons Haro small is nearly the same size as the Avalanche medium.

thats false, im 5,11 and i ride a medium, its exactly like my friends specialized, and is an inch shorter than another friends KHS which is a larger frame. So its pretty much in tune with most companies from my experience.. could be just the model - model comparison.

on a GT, if i were 5,7 i would probably use a medium, hopefully hes growing because its more than likely too big for him. With an average mens inseam normally he`d probably consider around the 5,10mark to switch to large.

personally i ride the medium because i like a more compact bike, and in any case i can always raise the seat up to do XC, but for AM useage lower seat height its fun having a smaller frame...

anyway.. doesnt really matter, but IMO the bikes are very similar to other companies
    [SIZE="1"]I'd rather be biking[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]18 gears of inexpensive pleasure!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I will tell you there small seems to run smaller than the norm or at least compared to the XS Haro he was riding. The Haro XS was larger than the GT small. As for the medium I would agree that yes its right there with the avg medium.