Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

GT Avalanche - Need Frame Advice

I'm looking into a entry level hardtail and was looking at the Avalanche 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. Does anyone know if the frames are identical in the three models. I was looking at the 2.0today at Performance and it was going for $499. If the frames are identical I was thinking of going for the 3.0 which was on sale for $399. I plan to use this as a second bike. As I upgrade componenets on my full suspension I was planning on migrating those components over to the Avalanche frame.
    Last edited by 10sballs; 12-16-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    The Avalanche 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 all share the same 6061 hydroformed butted aluminum frames. I bought an Avalanche 2.0 in the spring just for the frame because they are the best fitting frames I've ridden (for me at least).

Check out my build here
    RatchAttack's 2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 custom build

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Attack. Do you think it is worth paying the extra for the 2.0. I do like the white frame over the colors that the 3.0 comes in. By the way, your bike is awesome. I also want to slowly build up the Avalanche frame; just need a good solid frame to build on to. Is there any other info you can provide on the Avalanche frame. I also on one of the other postings a member said that the 3.0 frame was not the same as the frame on the 1.0 and 2.0. Do you know if that is true. Something about the 3.0 does not use the hydroformed tubes.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sballs
    Thanks Attack. Do you think it is worth paying the extra for the 2.0. I do like the white frame over the colors that the 3.0 comes in. By the way, your bike is awesome. I also want to slowly build up the Avalanche frame; just need a good solid frame to build on to. Is there any other info you can provide on the Avalanche frame. I also on one of the other postings a member said that the 3.0 frame was not the same as the frame on the 1.0 and 2.0. Do you know if that is true. Something about the 3.0 does not use the hydroformed tubes.
    The frames are all the same, I checked them all out when I bought mine. I bought the 2.0 just because it was white, otherwise I would have gotten a 3.0 and used that frame. Either way I ditched all the stock parts on ebay, etc and got back most of my investment. If you like the color of the 3.0 go for it, it is the same frame as the 2.0 and 1.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Attack.

I'll probably go with the 2.0 since I also like that white frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

nono

The 08 avalanches are not of the same. Go observe the top tubes of ava1.0, 2.0, 3.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hellvin, I was at Performance the other day looking at the Avalanche frames. I need to go back and look closer at the toptube like you mentioned. The sales guy pointed out that the 3.0 frame is made in china, while the 1.0 and 2.0 are made in Taiwan. He felt that the 1.0 and 2.0 frames were better for that reason but couldn't give me any specifics. Do you know if the 1.0 and 2.0 are actually different, What is it about the toptubes that make the frames unique.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

i think...

maybe thicker tube stronger, more rigid...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you think all three frames (1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) are different? or is the difference between the 3.0 and the 1.0/2.0.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

For the 08 mods,

For the 08 models, all 3 are different...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does anyone know what is the difference between the '08 Avalanche 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 frames, other than the 1.0 and 2.0 frames are made in Taiwan and the 3.0 is made in China. For that reason alone the local Perfromance shop felt the 1.0 and 2.0 were the better frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Really looking for specifcs between the three frames. More than "they are different".

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've compared them all side by side and there is no difference except the front of the top tube of the 3.0 frames are not hydroformed. The 1.0 & 2.0 are exactly the same. All 3 frames are made of 6061 aluminum and have the same geometry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Attack. I think I'm still leanig towrds getting the white 2.0. When you were shopping around did the LBS say anything regarding the 3.0 being built in China versus Taiwan where the 1.0 and 2.0 are built.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Thanks Attack. I think I'm still leanig towrds getting the white 2.0. When you were shopping around did the LBS say anything regarding the 3.0 being built in China versus Taiwan where the 1.0 and 2.0 are built.
    I've never heard anything about frames being built in different places.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Top tube sizing

The top tube of the ava1.0 is thickest while the 3.0 is the thinnest. I'll try to take pics of all 3 bikes when me and my friends meet up again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Went down to the local Performance shop today and placed an order for an Avalanche 2.0 in white. They actually had an Avalanche 2.0 with hydraulic discs for the same price on their website, but unfortunately the hydraulic version only came with the blue frame. Really wanted the white frame, so I'll just live with the mechanical discs for a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

aww

Oh...why? The blue one looked quite nice as well...but if you already have plans for upgrades then to get the hydraulic brakes version would be pointless. But the Tektro auriga comp is actually not bad brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ratch, how difficult was it to change over to a 9 speed. can I just go pick up a new 9 speed cluster and put it on the hubs that come with the 2.0. Will I also need to change the rear deraileur and rear shifter?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Ratch, how difficult was it to change over to a 9 speed. can I just go pick up a new 9 speed cluster and put it on the hubs that come with the 2.0. Will I also need to change the rear deraileur and rear shifter?
    The 9 speed cassette will fit on the hub no problem, you will have to change the shifters and the rear derailleur to something that is 9 speed compatible. You will also have to buy a 9 speed chain. You may or may not have to get a 9 speed front derailleur (they have narrower cages than the 8 speed ones, sometime you can get lucky and they work no problem, othertimes not so lucky).

I use the Sram X9 derailleur and shifters, Sram hollowpin chain, and Sram PG990 cassette. Its the best setup I've ever used, totally blows away all the Shimano stuff I used before.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Ratch. Can't wait to get the bike.

I agree with you the SRAM X.9. I have that on my FS with X.7 shifters. Do you know how the X.7 rear deraileur is? I saw it for $60 at JensonUSA.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Thanks Ratch. Can't wait to get the bike.

I agree with you the SRAM X.9. I have that on my FS with X.7 shifters. Do you know how the X.7 rear deraileur is? I saw it for $60 at JensonUSA.
    I've got an X7 on my XCR I-Drive and it works well. I found that the biggest difference in the X7 vs. X9 setups were the shifters. That said, the X7 setup on my I-Drive is STILL better than any Shimano stuff I've had (I've ran everything from Deore to XT, albeit it was older stuff between 1999-2005).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Ratch. I think I'll look for a good deal on the X.7 shifters and rear deraileur, and go with a 9 speed cassette. Looks like the PG990 is a pretty high end cassette. Are there any other SRAM 9 speed cassettes that are decent but a little lower in price that you would recommend. I saw the PG990 at JensonUSA for $99, little more than I wanted to spend. What did you get the PG990 for?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Thanks Ratch. I think I'll look for a good deal on the X.7 shifters and rear deraileur, and go with a 9 speed cassette. Looks like the PG990 is a pretty high end cassette. Are there any other SRAM 9 speed cassettes that are decent but a little lower in price that you would recommend. I saw the PG990 at JensonUSA for $99, little more than I wanted to spend. What did you get the PG990 for?

I paid full pop of $100 for the 990, well worth it though, I've been using the same cassette for 3 years now (over 3500km) but have made sure to change the chain after every 500 km or so for longevity of the cassette. I've seen the 990 on sale for $65 at pricepoint.com.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=64.98

Pricepoint has a deal on the X7 shifters & derailleur setup for $85

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...COMBO-2008.htm

They also have the PG970 cassette for $35 which is Sram's midrange cassette (similar to Shimano LX/XT level, whereas the 990 is more XT/XTR level).

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=34.98

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Ratch. Can't wait to get the bike. Need something to work on since I can't get on a bike right now. Recovering from a broken collarbone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast