mtbr member
    Mar 2012

GT Avalanche, how easy is it to remove the decals ?

Ive got a 2011 GT Avalanche 1.0, i like the bike but i'm not too keen on the decals, that big stripey thing over the top bar is hideous lol

How easy can the decals be removed ? Did they put them on and then lacquer over them or were they put on without being lacquered over ?

While i'm here, can a set of replacement decals be bought from GT ? Ive tried contacting them but they havn't replied in over 2 weeks, what about paint as well, is it easy to find out what black they use on the bike ?

This is the same as the bike i have

Last edited by Imac Hunt; 03-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    All of their new bikes have a clearcoat over the whole frame including the decals. That's the reason GT doesn't sell replacement decals. Your best bet is to redo the whole paint job and get aftermarket decals from ebay. get a large piece of black decal material and place it over the stripey part and leave the rest of it the same. They make 3M protective sheets in many different colors. That may be best way to go.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks gt jorgito

I'm going to try something as a bit of a mini project, i'm going to buy some of that black carbon that comes in sticky thin sheets which is basically like a transfer sticker, i'm going to get some tracing paper and trace around the border on that white zebra stripe top part decal thats on the top tube.

I'll then tape the tracing paper to the carbon sheet and carefully cut out a new section to replace that horrible white zebra stripe on the top, that will leave the red border underneath that says Avalanche, the top part will hopefully be a nice neat carbon look with a contrast to the red.

I'll do the same if that goes ok on the bottle holder on the down pipe at the bike as that has the same white zebra sticker around it and then do the underneath of the main tube which also has that white zebra look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    you have to post pics when your done!