mtbr member

GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc Bike

How good of an entry level bike is the GT Avalanche 3.0 disc?

Doggy Daddy
    Jun 2008

GT Avalanche

I have an Avalanche 1.0 and it's an okay bike. I'm not doing any serious trail riding with it but I have no complaints about it.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Good enough for most people, better than most "entry-level" models. Certainly better than the entry level offerings from Rocky Mountain or Trek or Specialized.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

No good in rock gardens..
    What DeeEight said. They can screw together a fairly decent entry level HT, certainly better than some other makers can. It has all a beginner needs to hit the trails - good frame, 100mm fork, cable discs that work, wheelset that can take some hits, good tyres, name brand WTB saddle. The only thing that will probably die early is the plastic bodied pedals - that's no huge drama as if you get keen you can either put some clipless on, or some alloy BMX style platforms, depending on your style.

As a bonus, GT's stand out from the regular double diamond frame crowd and simply look cool.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just bought GT Avalanche 3.0 today. I was looking at a Specialized Hardrock Sport but, ultimately bought the GT because it had better components and disc brakes. I haven't taken it out yet but from all I've read, it's a pretty good entry level MTB.

Commit or eat sh!t
    If you want a cheap hardtail, GT would do. But I would recommend that you get a full suspension. Much better for most riding. I can go so much faster on my other bikes.

For what the 3.0 costs you won't get much of an FS bike....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hi

check this please
    GT Avalanche 3.0

but how much is the cheapest good full-suspension bike? would like to have one

and what do you think about this thing?
    GT A3.0 LE

is it possible that it's somekind of limited edition?
    Last edited by vull; 06-29-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vull
    and what do you think about this thing?
    GT A3.0 LE

is it possible that it's somekind of limited edition?

Well there's certainly nothing "limited edition" about the specs - unless it's a "limited edition" entry level bike, that is....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been looking into entry level bikes for a while now, and I think an important factor people must consider is their body weight. There are are good entry level bikes out there for people of average weight, but choices for heavy people are small. I recently heard about the Raleigh Mojave 8.0 (2008 model) with the Tora fork. That and a X-firm spring kit is a good choice for a heavy person. Also check out jensonusa.com from time to time. They sometimes have some good choices for heavier riders at good prices.---zarr

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Well there's certainly nothing "limited edition" about the specs - unless it's a "limited edition" entry level bike, that is....
    damn scammers...
    thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by vull
    damn scammers...
    thanks for the tip
    The buy it now price of 549 Euro equates to $860 US - the Avalanche 3 Disc is listed with a RRP of $479 US on GT's site.

That eBay bikes is the same bike that GT lists on their German site - it looks legitimate and if you could get one for cheaper it would be a good entry level bike.