mtbr member
    Mar 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

hey everyone....im looking for my 1st decent moatuin bike to buy. iv always used just crappy bikes iv found in the trash for about 5 years now (shame on me.)

i found this guy selling a gt avalanche, is this a good bike/buy?

GT Avalanche 2.0 69er Mtb

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

I would be Carefull, not sure why you would put a 29er wheel on front of a 26. But aside from that, what kind of riding do you want to do,is this bike even what you need don't get excited that he's giving extra parts ,they are parts that you prob will have no use for.ie, 29er rigid fork and wheel, if your budget is 500 you can prob find one new that will fit you at your LBS, just gotta shop around let them know your budget and what kind of riding you want to do,it may not have the parts you want now but upgrading your new bike as needed is way better than having to upgrade someone elses used bike right away. Now with all that being said,, I would not buy this bike just becuase as soon as you get it home you have to swap parts to make it rideable for you and then maybe find out it doesn't fit you and any thing older than a 2012 gt avalanche just isn't worth 500 IMHO he's just trying to recoup his upgrades, there are great deals on cl unfortunately you never know when it's gonna happen. I bought a gt avalanche 2.0 26er 2012 with hydro brakes for my wife a great start up bike for 599 brand new there are deals out there just gotta look, spend half the the your looking at cl looking online stores and I'm sure you will find something great, ps I ride a gt sensor great budget bikes easily upgradable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would not do it if I were you.

That fork is probably the same as the Carbon Cycles Exotic fork that I used in the past, and it was a very sketchy ride. Aluminum can be made as strong as steel but you need A LARGE AMOUNT of it and it will be rigid as heck. This fork would flex with just braking at a stand still. Aluminum has terrible fatigue compared to steel, so if you see aluminum flexing stay away.

I agree with the poster above, 5 bones can net you a very decent ride if you shop around. Showing up to a bike shop with cash in hand can also sway a few prices for the better.

Good luck!
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    =/ pretty bad news to hear about that bike. you asked me what type of stuff im riding though, here are a few pictures....been riding this vast wood trails for a while now. spreads across about 100 miles where i live...

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2v1qkaf.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/19rrit.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/52j485.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/29uvgqe.jpg

a lot of uphill also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    iv never bought a real mountain bike before in the past. Iv always used crappy ones i found in the trash or at a dump haha. I dont even know what stores to go to for a bike lol.

this is pretty much the main bike shop around me, anyone care to help me out looking for a nice bike??

Brands Cycle and Fitness - Wantagh Long Island NY - Trek Specialized Raleigh Giant Pearl Izumi Santa Cruz Yeti Orbea Cannondale Cycelops Sugoi Dahon Kinetic Kreitler Ortlieb NiteRider Unicycle Light and Motion Keiser M3

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

Nice,I'm lucky to see 20feet of that type of trail. The hill country of Texas is far from anything like that. I did some trails like that in Missouri,,, that was fun,put myself in a tree couple times, good luck bike shopping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

http://brandscycle.com/product/13spe...k-172530-1.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

Hahaa kidding

Rogue Exterminator
    I would stay away for a couple reasons.

1) As a noob the last thing I would want to get in is a bike that may or may not have odd handling geometry.
    2) As anyone I would not want to have to carry 2 tubes with me or if I am 10 miles out cram a 29" tube in a 26" wheel to get home.

If you want a 29er, buy a 29er
    If you want a 26" bike, buy a 26" bike.
    There is no advantage to owner a 69er that makes it worth owning a 69er.
    At best it is a novelty bike.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

http://brandscycle.com/product/12spe...c-105428-1.htm Is this store close to you or is it on line only? I'm not sure about their sizing and would really recommend test fitting but from the looks of your trails, this hard tail is totally what you need, great brand ,warranty,solid platform,but by all means go talk with your LBS first these are the people you will most likely be buying your upgrades or small bits and pieces from so it could help you in the long run to know the guys you got your bike from always discounts among friends

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelS View Post
    Specialized Hardrock Disc - Brands Cycle and Fitness Is this store close to you or is it on line only? I'm not sure about their sizing and would really recommend test fitting but from the looks of your trails, this hard tail is totally what you need, great brand ,warranty,solid platform,but by all means go talk with your LBS first these are the people you will most likely be buying your upgrades or small bits and pieces from so it could help you in the long run to know the guys you got your bike from always discounts among friends

that bike looks great! I am a total noob when it comes to sizing, i didnt even know there was sizing for biking. im not new to biking but im so new to the entire sport side of this!

that store is about 10 minutes away from me. its acutlly about 5 minutes away from the trail i go on all the time with my crappy bike.

i really just need a better bike, iv been using my crappy bikes on these trails that i shove into my 2 door ford focus lmao. I KILL myself on the trails riding it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

Yea,sizing is be a huge factor in how well you handle your bike and how long you can go with out being uncomfortable. I would for sure go and test ride one of these and make sure they get you set up. Make sure you feel good on a 29, TEST RIDE! a 29 rides different from a 26,a29 is a little slower on the turns make sure your ok with that. other than that it will eat every thing in its way. Test ride, test ride,test ride,,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

And it's only a focus you might as well take the back seat out so you can fit your new ride in comforttably, or cl is a good place for car racks , saris bones work well

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelS View Post
    Yea,sizing is be a huge factor in how well you handle your bike and how long you can go with out being uncomfortable. I would for sure go and test ride one of these and make sure they get you set up. Make sure you feel good on a 29, TEST RIDE! a 29 rides different from a 26,a29 is a little slower on the turns make sure your ok with that. other than that it will eat every thing in its way. Test ride, test ride,test ride,,

i think imma go down to the bike store this week and try out the sizing and ask all about it. That store has a ton of bikes but most of them are not in the shop, they do a lot of ordering for you and then you pick em up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

Good luck! let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tripptallica View Post
    i think imma go down to the bike store this week and try out the sizing and ask all about it. That store has a ton of bikes but most of them are not in the shop, they do a lot of ordering for you and then you pick em up.
    Your bike store will set you up with the correct size. They'll let you test it out in the parking lot as well. Try a couple of different ones so you can compare. Ask if they have rental bikes. Most will apply the money you used to rent to the purchase of a new bike. Make friends with the mechanic and ask him questions about adjustments and minor maintenance. . Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

GT Avalanche 2.0

I'm new to mountain biking and bought a new 2012 2.0 Avalanche from my LBS for $600 on sale.