mtbr member
    Jul 2008

GT Avalanche 1.0 V-Brake Mountain Bike

I destroyed my current bike, a Trek 3900. Always had problems with this bike, so its time for me to get another one anyways.

So I am looking and will probably get this bike.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Performance bikes is also offering an additional 10% off.

Obviously I want to know if this is a good bike from anyone that knows. I prefer to ride on trails that are not maintained and would prefer and arguably need a very tough bike. One that I would not have to worry about the rims bending and gears slippings...things like that.

I am not sure if i want the disc brakes, so i am, as of now, opting for v brakes. However, after reading some, I want to email the company and see if they can put disc brakes JUST on the front. I know nothing of disc brakes and want to know what type of disc brakes would be good. Like what manufacturer and model #.

Thanks for your time

mtbr member
    I would research Disc brakes a little more before making that decision. Or better yet, go test ride something with disc brakes, preferably ones that are already broken in.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member

Gt 1.0

did you purchase the GT avalanche ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I gritted my teeth and broke down and got a FS. I did not see any FS with v brakes. Though I am sure I could of found one, I decided to just go ahead and give disc brakes a try. The only time I have had a hard to braking with v brakes is in snow/sleet conditions. Other than that, disc brakes just seem like more weight, more stuff that can/will break, and more maintenance.

So I got this:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

I did some bike matching and i think its a GT Idrive 5 4.0 version (the lower end with tektro hydro brakes). The store gave me an additional 10% off due to their web site coupon and a $65 store credit due to joining their "club."

Either way, I had it out yesterday here:
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx

The bike rocks so far. The FS (which I have never ridden before) saved me from dumping the bike at least twice and it makes all those roots and stones a lot easier to ride over. The FS is tougher to ride up hills though, but I will try using the "lock out" it comes with next time I have a significant up hill ride.

And there is a place to mount my bike pump on the bike. I, and the salesman, could not find decent spot on it.