mtbr member
    Jul 2008

GT Avalanche 1.0 V-Brake Mountain Bike

I destroyed my current bike, a Trek 3900. Always had problems with this bike, so its time for me to get another one anyways.

So I am looking and will probably get this bike.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Performance bikes is also offering an additional 10% off.

Obviously I want to know if this is a good bike from anyone that knows. I prefer to ride on trails that are not maintained and would prefer and arguably need a very tough bike. One that I would not have to worry about the rims bending and gears slippings...things like that.

I am not sure if i want the disc brakes, so i am, as of now, opting for v brakes. However, after reading some, I want to email the company and see if they can put disc brakes JUST on the front. I know nothing of disc brakes and want to know what type of disc brakes would be good. Like what manufacturer and model #.

Thanks for your time

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would research Disc brakes a little more before making that decision. Or better yet, go test ride something with disc brakes, preferably ones that are already broken in.
    saweet

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Stop riding that bike until you get some.

mtbr member

Gt 1.0

did you purchase the GT avalanche ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I gritted my teeth and broke down and got a FS. I did not see any FS with v brakes. Though I am sure I could of found one, I decided to just go ahead and give disc brakes a try. The only time I have had a hard to braking with v brakes is in snow/sleet conditions. Other than that, disc brakes just seem like more weight, more stuff that can/will break, and more maintenance.

So I got this:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

I did some bike matching and i think its a GT Idrive 5 4.0 version (the lower end with tektro hydro brakes). The store gave me an additional 10% off due to their web site coupon and a $65 store credit due to joining their "club."

Either way, I had it out yesterday here:
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx

The bike rocks so far. The FS (which I have never ridden before) saved me from dumping the bike at least twice and it makes all those roots and stones a lot easier to ride over. The FS is tougher to ride up hills though, but I will try using the "lock out" it comes with next time I have a significant up hill ride.

And there is a place to mount my bike pump on the bike. I, and the salesman, could not find decent spot on it.