mtbr member
    Sep 2008

GT Avalanche 08 Disc

Hi guys new here been riding for commuting purposes for about 8 months now. I normally ride any heap of crap, seriously cheap and ropey bikes however i think its about time i treated myself to something decent.

A freind has just bought a Secialized hardrock and wants to go trail riding on the weekends but were both novices so were not doing anything big here. My question is will the Avalache hold up with my mates specialized? its a 100 cheaper in cash but how much cheaper is that in performance?

Im riding 12 miles a day 5 days a week to the office and say every other weekend about 25 miles about half on half off-road some small trials and rooty paths.

Ive never spent big money on a bike im hoping that for the cash if i look after it and no big crashes or misshaps i should be able to ride like this for about 6 months without having to replace much, if anything, is that a fair expectation?

Finally if anyone bought one recenlty and needs an excuse to praise it feel free!

Thanks in advance, for any help/replies and sorry for the long post.

Cheers Ash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last edited by Ash82; 09-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

go with the GT

I've had my avalanche 2.0 for about 7 months now and i love it. I use and abuse it pretty regularly, I've even taken it off 4 to 5ft ledges on pavement. The rigidity of the triple triangular frame is very tough. which is why I went with a GT bike anyway. I would say with the Secialized your pretty much paying double just for the name, they are probably made in the same town in Taiwan.

I would definitely go with the GT it comes with better components than the Secialized and you will have some money left over for upgrades

later

No good in rock gardens..
    Both bikes a perfectly trailworthy and should hold up fine to what you have in mind.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....