Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Weekend Warrior

GT 2009 Online: Holy carbon eye candy, Batman!

Finally, the 2009 GT line-up is up on GTbikes.com.

2009 GT FURY 1 - $6999.99

2009 GT FURY 2 - N/A

2009 Marathon 9er - $2399.99

2009 Marathon Sport - $1399.99

2009 Marathon Elite - $2099.99

2009 Marathon Carbon Expert - $3199.99

2009 Marathon Carbon Pro - $4299.99

2009 Marathon Carbon Team - $5999.99

2009 Zaksar Carbon Expert - $2499.99

2009 Zaksar Carbon Pro - $3499.99

2009 Zaksar Carbon Team - $5399.99

2009 Force 3.0 - $1599.99

2009 Force 2.0 (Offered in two versions with your choice of Sram or Shimano drivetrains) - $2299.99

2009 Force 1.0 - $2999.99

2009 Force Carbon Expert - $4299.99

2009 Force Carbon Pro - $5999.99

2009 Sanction 2.0 - $2899.99

2009 Sanction 1.0 - $3999.99
    Last edited by iMacDaddy; 09-17-2008 at 10:29 PM.

No good in rock gardens..
    Ballsy head tube gussets on those alloy bikes.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Does anyone have any information on the Force 3.0's fork - SR MG 32? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Force Carbon Pro = woody material.

I wish Gt would get the prices posted... i'm almost afraid to know.

Sneaker man
    mmmmm......

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just got the new price list if you need any prices let me know.

Jaysled

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Price on Force and Sanction frame? Or are those just for pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1499.99 For the Sanction Frame Set

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Were we going to get a 29er Zaskar Carbon for 09? I thought that I saw it someplace.

Weekend Warrior
    What is going on with the alloy Marathon line-up? What happened to the top of the line "Ultra" aluminum models with XT/XTR and other top of the range components? Is GT anticipating more buyers looking for higher end models to go with the Carbon models?

The highest end alloy model is the Marathon Elite that picks up where the 08' Marathon 2.0 left off (albeit with some lower spec components and a higher price tag), and from there you have three carbon fiber models (Note: There is no 2009 successor for the 2008 Marathon 1.0 XT spec bike).

The Marathon Carbon Expert is a carbon fiber version of the alloy Elite, basically a mid range SLX bike. The Marathon Pro serves as a higher end XT spec model, with the Marathon Team range topper as the XTR model.

My hypothesis is that industry wide price hikes and product segmentation is partly responsible. Look at the 2008 Marathon 2.0 and the 2009 Marathon Elite. Both have similar level components, even though the Elite has some lower end stuff like Deore hubs over Deore LX (or what could have been SLX hubs) and a Recon 335 fork over the previous choice of the 351 that has Motion Control, unlike the 335. The Marathon 2.0 was $1800, and the new Elite is now over $2300 (from what I saw from the prices before they were pulled from the GT website).

Imagine what would have happened with the Marathon 1.0 if GT chose to carry it over into 2009. It would have been more expensive (probably closer to $3000). At that price level, you have the new Marathon Carbon Expert that is in the low $3000 range, and it's a safe bet that most people would choose the Carbon Expert over the closely priced alloy Marathon model, even with the Carbon expert sporting some lower end components. I'm also going to add that GT needs to break even on all the investing they have made on carbon fiber construction, so they need sell these bikes in higher volumes in order to do that. I'm thinking that's why GT now has eight kick ass carbon mt. bikes in production, with each new model getting more affordable.

Going from a $2300 Marathon Elite to the $3000+ Marathon Carbon Expert may be somewhat steep, but seeing how you would pay thousands more for a similar bike from Trek or Specialized, the Carbon Expert almost looks like a steal. That may explain the expansion of the Marathon Carbon line-up, and the neglect of the alloy Marathon line-up. From this, I'm willing to bet that in the next 2-3 years, another Marathon Carbon model will trickle down the line up and fill the $2000-$2500 left absent by the "Ultra" alloy Marathon/i-Drive model. We'll just have to wait and see.

No good in rock gardens..
    Not much SRAM in the lineup.....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Zaskar 29er in alloy only I think, the early pics and angles made it look like carbon but the one I got is def alloy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if they are going to make a 26" peace? I really like the look of the new peace's but not so much the 29", before they were one of the very few manufacturers to make a rigid singlespeed 26" bike.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    You can get it form Performance with a great price right now plus 15% off. Take a look:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

slamma
    May 2005
    sweet pics.....drool

When did GT post their new prices last year? was it after interbike. im wondering how much the price of the force increased from 2008, and how much the new force carbon expert will be, it looks pretty, sweet.

Does anyone have any experience with the ID, does it work well, ive read mixed reviews on it, and im not realy sure i know how it works. anyone familiar with the ID
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Most of my full sussers have been I-Drives. I like them because even though they are very responsive to pedaling, they are very very comfortable. The rear wheel sticks uphill to bumps, roots, and everything you can throw at it. I've had a Jamis, I've ridden a Giant NRS, and a Trek Fuel and I still like the I-drive better. The jamis seemed to bob alot, the NRS is kinda stiff in the rear end and because it locked out the suspension when you pedaled, you kinda lose grip in rocky uphills. The Fuel worked well but it seemed alot of stuff to finangle with if you ever had to maintain it.

I have both the old I-drive Team frame and a new Force 2.0. Two totally different rides but they both feel quite similar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's the price for the 2009 Zaksar Carbon Expert FRAME ?

Also where can i get the 2008 Team GT jersey , I entered Champion System website then i checked their shopping cart and they don't have it for sale. I only need one.

the jersey looks like this
    http://www.champ-sys.com/pages/2008/...rge/GT%201.jpg

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So the HT angle on the Sanction was slackened a bit and now it's a freeride bike, not all-mountain.

I'll be waiting to hear reviews to see if it still climbs well This sumer I may be getting it or a Force (can the Force hold up to light DH/FR or would that be stupid)?

Weekend Warrior
    2009 Force-2

2009 Trek FuelEX 8: Rocking out XT/XTR components, Xyclone Disc wheels, and Fox Suspension.

bi-winning
    The carbon Zaksar looks pretty cool, but the fs bikes are not my cup of tea in terms of styling.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Weekend Warrior
    Is it just me, or do the alloy Marathon bikes lack the visual impact of the Sanction/Force/Carbon fiber bikes? They look too plain next to these other bikes. I hope GT will update them for 2010 with some nice hydroformed tubing, similar to the Sanction/Force models.
    2009 Trek FuelEX 8: Rocking out XT/XTR components, Xyclone Disc wheels, and Fox Suspension.

slamma
    May 2005

Dinky shock :skep:

Why does the Rear shock look so dinky. comparitive to the bike, it looks like
    its gonna have to work its ass off to keep up with the rest of the bike.
    what does everyone else think, it may seem different in person.
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    where can I buy 2009 GT frames online?. the local distro's being an as* and want to keep GT in the low-mid end segment of the market by only bringing in GT avalanches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iMacDaddy
    Is it just me, or do the alloy Marathon bikes lack the visual impact of the Sanction/Force/Carbon fiber bikes? They look too plain next to these other bikes. I hope GT will update them for 2010 with some nice hydroformed tubing, similar to the Sanction/Force models.
    No itīs not just you!
    I was looking at the force 2.0 today and really love the way it looks, but Im a bit afraid it will be too muchy to ride where I currently ride my GT Lightning hardtail. Loots of steep uphills, something like the marathon model but with the looks of the force/sanction is what I want!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am going to ask the same question as a few others before me..... Where can I buy the 2009 or 2008 GT carbon frames online? I live in Australia, and the GT distributors don't sell frames here in Aust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast