mtbr member

GT 2007 i-drive xcr .......o no no no no

o no no no no no ....so there i was, thinking i cant wait for my new i- drive although the xcr is the low end component package it is the best bike i have had and the first full sus ,o no no no no no ......two months in ......whats that the rear shox (ario2.1 )is flucked ....pissing air ....ok back to the shop where i purchased the bike ,ah a replacement shox .........sweet ....back on the trail .....o no no no no no .......whats that the rear shox is flucked .....pissing air ......ok back to the shop and that is where the bike lies in the shop ........o no no no no no ride .......help me out here i need advice or ideas as to why the rear (rock shox ario 2.1) is breaking ...hey i just pumped it up with a shock pump rode it on the trail for a few weeks and bam ......o no no no no a lemon but twice ????????

mtbr member
    so my first guess is that it is a frame problem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    get them to put a fox shock on it and ride it like ya rented it!

it could have a misalignment on the pivot assy but if the suspension feels smoothe through the full range i doubt that would be it. that would be side loading the shock but it should be galling the shcok shaft if that was the case with the seal out would would be able the see it ovaled also.

ive never has a rockshox product worth a turd
    GT idrive 4 need to find some more trails out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No good in rock gardens..
    Trade it on a hardtail.....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakef

it could have a misalignment on the pivot assy but if the suspension feels smoothe through the full range i doubt that would be it. that would be side loading the shock but it should be galling the shcok shaft if that was the case with the seal out would would be able the see it ovaled also.

SO ROCKSHOX IS TOTAL BS YES?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ergo
    SO ROCKSHOX IS TOTAL BS YES?
    o no no no no no I wouldn't say that. I've had many Rock Shox forks and shocks over the years without any problems. I did manage to blow a Fox shock though (but also rode happily on a few).

I've got to agree with Sideknob...... If it were me, I'd be getting an Avalanche hardtail to replace the i-drive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Try a Cane Creek if you have the bucks. I've had two types and they all rode well and no leaks for a very long time. If it does leak, it is very service friendly, and you can do it yourself. Which is something you can't do with a fox shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i love my idrive!!

you can service a fox shock just gotta have a couple odd ball tools and n2 tank, ya gotta have n2 for the cane creek too with the cc being teamed with ohlins i bet its a heck of a shock!! i have serviced both the fox shocks ive had
    GT idrive 4 need to find some more trails out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Cane Creeks that I've had didn't require N2. They are full air, you just need a regular shock pump. That was the beauty of it. You did have to check the pressure during large temperature changes but it really didn't make much of a difference. The only special tools you actually needed were some type of spanner wrench and a vice. That's it. They are unbelieveably user friendly. I've noticed with a fox shox you can only go so far with the servicing. If you don't know what you are doing, you can really mess it up. I can do a small service on my fox float, but there was no way for me to work on the lockout system or the negative air spring. I'm sure if I had the right tools I could do it but I don't have them. That's the reason my Fox Float is now PUSH'ed. I luv it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakef

So listen here it is im a newcomer to these rear thingys ,so when the shox is fitted should it pivot freely at both ends ,because the rear pivot is totally rigid when it is fitted when the bolt is tightened ...... im shure the shox should pivot freely when fitted ........if i file away and refit the shox (when i get it back its been over two weeks in the shop because they are total idiots and sent it to ingiland to be serviced) **** this im getting a scateboard .. ...please help im having a total

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When you get it back try tightening one pivot at a time. Tighten the rear pivot first, dont install the top bolt yet, and then swing the shock and see if there is some movement. You may have the wrong set of bushings in there. You may be tightening too much. That's the reason for the lock nut at the bottom. Hope it works out for ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    When you get it back try tightening one pivot at a time. Tighten the rear pivot first, dont install the top bolt yet, and then swing the shock and see if there is some movement. You may have the wrong set of bushings in there. You may be tightening too much. That's the reason for the lock nut at the bottom. Hope it works out for ya.
    Yes ,i picked the bike up last week after one month ,rockshox kindly upgraded my shox to a 3.1 so i am happy with that ,it looks great ,on returning home i checked the bolts again ,both were tightened to a point that the shox was rigid on both ends ,they should know this in the shop but no ,so im taking your advice about the back bolt and see now how she should go together ,also a little grease ,so everything worked out ,thanks for your advice it was just right ..j

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Glad I could help. After you ride it for a few times, recheck the bolts and make sure they are still tight. check for play in the shock mounts and stuff. Eventually you won't have to check it every time after a ride. They will eventually bed in pretty good. Good luck dude.

J.V.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Glad I could help. After you ride it for a few times, recheck the bolts and make sure they are still tight. check for play in the shock mounts and stuff. Eventually you won't have to check it every time after a ride. They will eventually bed in pretty good. Good luck dude.

J.V.
    exelent........ see ya around