mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Groove tube fitting - Help please

Sent my 94 Karakoram to the powdercoater last week for a new bright white face lift. Picked it up today and it looks great but I have a problem. There is a fitting in the front of the groove tube where the rear brake and front and rear derailleur cable housings collect to run under in the tube.

This is now missing and the powdercoater or the shop that stripped off the old powdercoat does not have it. Does anybody have a clue where I might find one. I have been waiting anxiously for the frame to come back as I almost have all the parts for the rebuild and this will stop it all.

Any help would be appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That actually comes off? I thought it was welded on there. I'm going singlespeed on mine and putting hydraulic disc brakes and actually thought about removing it. Hmm? I'm stuck training in Milwaukee Wisconsin until the end of the month. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    That actually comes off? I thought it was welded on there. I'm going singlespeed on mine and putting hydraulic disc brakes and actually thought about removing it. Hmm? I'm stuck training in Milwaukee Wisconsin until the end of the month. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

If you are not going to use it, please let me know. I will happily buy it from you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just had mine powdercoated and I won't get to see it for another two weeks. If they are still attached and I won't harm the frame by taking them off you can have them for free. I'll let you know when I get to see the frame. Remind me after two weeks from now if you haven't gotten any by then. I should have the frame in my hands by the 1st of February

mtbr member
    That cable stop is suppose to be welded or at last tacked in place. Looks like a fixie now. BUMMER!
    Are you sure it was there to start with?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    That cable stop is suppose to be welded or at last tacked in place. Looks like a fixie now. BUMMER!
    It definitely was there. I thought about trying to take it off but thought better of it. I can't find anywhere on the frame mount where there was a tack weld.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    The mount is welded in place but I think the actual stop mounts on the welded stop mount. The reason I think this is because I can't see how it could be welded as a single unit as the weld is not accessible with the cable stop in place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    soop, did you have any luck with this? My gf's just bought a GT Corrado that's missing this piece...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gradeAfailure
    soop, did you have any luck with this? My gf's just bought a GT Corrado that's missing this piece...

I did, gt jorgito was able to get his off after the powdercoating and we workrd out a trade. I think I would have been able to find another but, it would not have been nearly as easy as this one was. I will keep an eye out for one and let you know if I find one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ah, that would be fantastic, thanks! I know it's cheeky to ask, but if you get time could i get a pic of the cable stop fitting? Just in case I can't find one, i may need to make one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gradeAfailure
    Ah, that would be fantastic, thanks! I know it's cheeky to ask, but if you get time could i get a pic of the cable stop fitting? Just in case I can't find one, i may need to make one!

There are 2 pictures right here in the GT forums. If you go to the thread titled "Work in Progress- Karakoram" and go to the 37th posting in the thread and the pictures are there. shows the inside portion, the part you can't see when it is mounted on the bike.

If needed, I can tell you which cable should run trough which hole. While I do not know how important that info is or what possible difference it makes, it is always nice to know

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Brilliant - that pic will be a real help if I have to have something machined up!

mtbr member
    BUUUUUMP!

How does this piece come off? I am afraid I'll break it off if I keep prying.

I am having a frame powdercoated, and if I can leave it on, I will do so. Otherwise I need to figure out how to remove it safely. Slide towards the back/front?

Guidance anyone?

Thanks - Rich

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum
    BUUUUUMP!

How does this piece come off? I am afraid I'll break it off if I keep prying.

I am having a frame powdercoated, and if I can leave it on, I will do so. Otherwise I need to figure out how to remove it safely. Slide towards the back/front?

Guidance anyone?

Thanks - Rich

Mine mounted on by sliding it back on to the mounting tabs. I am sure you would have to move it forward, toward the head tube, to get it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soop106
    Mine mounted on by sliding it back on to the mounting tabs. I am sure you would have to move it forward, toward the head tube, to get it off.
    Very cool, thank you. My frame is identical in color and year...so that should work!