dot
    mtbr member

Got a broken frame replaced: GT Zaskar

again, it's black but with grey/yellow instead of red/white.

It's a bit heavier than my previous one, 1680g without v-brake bosses and bolts in M size. The older frame (mentioned in the "black zaskar madness" thread) survived for 10000 km and about 2.5 years, cracked in the left lower chaystay and twice in the right dropout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The nut holding the bars.
    I broke my i-drive 1.0 today during a race. Top tube, behind the headset, this is the forth time this same problem happend. GT raplaced the frame twice and I had to buy another one. Is this a common problem with the i-drive?

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hollander
    I broke my i-drive 1.0 today during a race. Top tube, behind the headset, this is the forth time this same problem happend. GT raplaced the frame twice and I had to buy another one. Is this a common problem with the i-drive?
    I've only heard that they had weak rear triangles. A friend of mine broke 3 or 4 rear triangles in 2001-2003 on I-drivesfrom those days.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    I've only heard that they had weak rear triangles. A friend of mine broke 3 or 4 rear triangles in 2001-2003 on I-drivesfrom those days.
    Other than the headtube, bottom bracket, concentric, chain stays, seat stays, seat mast, gussets, welds and related materials, the Idrive frames are known to be problem free!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

FKA Malibu412

Sorry for the dust cloud

Quote Originally Posted by The Hollander
    but if you're around, did the break look something like this?

My i-drive 4 frame, '09 model broke after 6 mos and about 600 miles of off roading.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Other than the headtube, bottom bracket, concentric, chain stays, seat stays, seat mast, gussets, welds and related materials, the Idrive frames are known to be problem free!
    That leaves the water bottle mount bosses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

what was the outcome on yours, warranty?

My 07 idrive 4 just cracked top tube near headset

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by joyride153
    what was the outcome on yours, warranty?

My 07 idrive 4 just cracked top tube near headset
    Yes covered under warranty and very quickly! GT along with Performance were great and I had my bike back built with the new frame in 5 days. At no cost to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bikes will break and sometimes on small stuff and sometimes on big stuff. I know breaking something sucks and it can be a hassle however I really respect a company who stands behind their products and will replace them if there is a problem. I have heard about GT making things right more than alot of companies. I love Yetis but I know they also have replacement costs associated with failures. I'm very much a fan of GT and will continue to be because dollar for dollar and company warranty you can't beat it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is the Zaskar frame the same as the Avalanche frame? That looks nearly identical to my Avalanche.

The need for singlespeed
    Zaskar frames have a more stretched-out XC geometry and a different aluminum alloy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had purchace my gt zaskar in 1994 fully built from a bike mechanic in San Francisco and she still looks and rides the same as when I purchace her will post pictures soon.

Rebmem Rbtm
    Out of curiosity. Say I did break my Peace 9er frame. Who would i contact of talk about replacing the frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by claydough001 View Post
    Out of curiosity. Say I did break my Peace 9er frame. Who would i contact of talk about replacing the frame?
    I would think the first stop would be your LBS where you bought it from. If that isn't possible then call GT and ask about there warrenty process.

Rebmem Rbtm
    yeah i bought it online. My LBS only sells Trek. Ok well i was just wondering about that the other day and thought i would ask. Thanks for the quick response!

REALLY?
    Only thing is, the 9R isn't made anymore, hope G.T. has warranty frames in stock. Selling my G.T. 9R, its awsome bike for sure, and it is my first 29er, but, I like 26ers better and have other projects, so, the 9R has to go.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Sneaker man
    always wonder what would happen if i broke my reissue... guess a carbon... so i'll just have to try extra hard not to break it.