mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good fork upgrades for avalanche 2.0?

any advice would be helpful, I want to get rid of the suntour xcr on it right now

Nice day for a ride.....
    When I got my Avalanche I pretty much bought it for the frame only. I stripped the parts and put on alot of really nice stuff. I put a Reba SL fork (100mm travel) on it and am quite happy. I really recommend the Reba forks, but if your on a tighter budget I'd suggest a Tora 318 Soloair (Make sure to get the 318. The 302 and 289 are inferior forks.). I've used one of these on my older Avalanche and it also works great.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Captains Log
    whats the largest travel Fork you can upgrade to before endagering the frame?130?140?
    what do you find in a star trek bathroom?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey
    whats the largest travel Fork you can upgrade to before endagering the frame?130?140?
    A few years ago I had a Reba U-Turn air on my 2003 Avalanche, it would go up to 115mm of travel but slowed down the handling quite a bit. I personally would not go over that 115mm, the frame was designed around a 100mm travel fork and handles best with that on it. A longer travel fork could also void your warranty.

Reba U-Turn air, set at 80mm
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Captains Log
    Guitar loser uses his bike for pretty aggresive all mtn riding and the change in handling is a good thing for him. he is just worried about his frame snapping while he is flying down a rocky mtn side with plenty of 1- 2ft drops. He is to broke to buy a proper bike so he is gonna push the limits on this one(I told him to pawn his children but he wont listen to me)
    im curious if anyone on this forum has done this with there Avalanche
    what do you find in a star trek bathroom?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My friend is running a 140-100mm fork on his avalanche. He prefers how it feels even at 140 compared to the suntour it came with.