mtbr member

Getting Back into Riding

I wanted to introduce myself here. I just started to ride again this past week after a layoff of 10 years or so. It is depressing to think it has been that long. Once you settle down, start a family and take on a career it is diffuclt to find time for riding. A few friends of mine have decided they, like me, need to get some excersise and take of some of this extra weight we have added over the past couple of years

I had a couple questions about my bike. It is a '97 GT Avalanche LE. I got this bike not long before I stopped riding so it hasn't been beaten up to bad. After a week or so of riding, I ordered a new seat (along with a new helmet and some riding shorts) I adjusted the derailers and it now shifts pretty well. Everything on the bike is stock including the tires. Has there been any major changes to bikes within the past years that I must do in order to make this bike more efficient? Should I change the tires? It seems like the newer tires are a bit different and I'm not sure why?

Thanks for helping me out. Now it is time to put some miles in on the saddle. I will probably invest in a new bike at some point down the road but want to make sure I stick with this for a while first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There have been advances across the board when it comes to pretty much all aspects of cycling accept one, you can't get better and more efficient without getting out there and riding.
    If It were me I would change out my tubes and tires just due to age. Do some research and figure out what works for your area. I run IRC Mythos tire due to being great all around tires. I also love Panaracer Fire Tires. Another possible upgrade would be a hydration pack with storage and a camera to catch some of the fun (c :

WELCOME BACK
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel