mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fury for AM? Paging Ska Todd...

Or anyone else with some current product knowledge... I'm wondering what the real differences are in frame dimensions between Fury and Ruckus. It's hard to tell from geo tables because the build specs are so different, but now that XX1 is trickling out it's got me wondering... I love my Ruckus for backcountry riding with a jury-rigged front derailleur setup, and now the wide-ratio one-by system has opened the door for dumping the extra rigging without sacrificing the all-day usability. But it's also got me thinking that building up a Fury to take its place may be worth looking into. I saw one on eBay a while ago with a RockShox Pike on it - 200mm travel rear with a 145mm fork? Maybe a bit extreme but interesting...

So I'm wondering how the ST & HA would work out, compared to my Ruckus, if I were to swap the same 180mm travel Totem to a Fury frame? If I were to run the same seat post height for climbing could I expect the same 'effective' SA and TT length? And what about BB height with the 180 fork, could I expect that to be roughly similar to the Ruckus?

I would assume that since the iD hardware (BB pivot, etc) look identical that the Fury should pedal about the same as the Ruckus under load in a 32f/42r gear combo. I'm sure some suspension tuning may be necessary to keep from sinking 5-6" into the travel on steep climbs. But like I've found on the Ruckus, all that sag should make for amazing traction, assuming you can get your body into a position where you can lay down power.

Fury frame with CCDB Air, Totem Solo Air DH, XX1/XO Trail brakes, and a 6" drop Reverb... maybe throw in some carbon wheels and single ply 2.35-2.5" tires? Hmmm... off the top of my head I'd think that would make for a mid-30lb, 180-200mm travel, durable carbon play bike.

Unless, of course, there may be a carbon Sanction already in the works???

Just a thought... so, anyone currently pedaling a Fury uphill?

Industry Loudmouth
    A Fury for AM is sorta like using a soup spoon to eat a steak. While the Fury is an exceptional pedaling DH chassis, the geometry and suspension kinematics of the Fury make it excel at descending (see Gee, Rach, & Marc for reference). The Ruckus can be more easily pedaled up a hill...but it'll be a slog; earn the burn. The Force LE (aka Sanction) is the best tool for enduro style riding (see Dan).

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Meh, had a feeling... great spoon/fork analogy! Intended usage, check.

As I said, I've gotten used to the Ruckus for AM use, guess I got carried away thinking a Fury would work.

So, carbon Force LE (aka Sanction) anytime soon???

Thanks for the response!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    also curious if there will be a carbon force le or carbon sanction soon?