Thread: fork upgrade

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

fork upgrade

looking at switching out my fork on my 08 peace 9r was gonna switch it to a salsa cromoto 29er will i notice a difference i know the lengths are different length on salsa is 468 while on the stocker it is 470 the rake is also off by 2 with the stock being 45 and the salsa being 43

mtbr member
    2m is not that much of a difference but you'll probably notice that rake difference being slightly quicker handling.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I thought the Peace 9r had a 468mm fork, have yet to measure it but if it's 470mm that's even better.

The reduced rake and fork length will give slightly slower handling from what I can gather. That is why the OnOne carbon fork is 470mm and 45mm rake which is the 'correct' so to speak for a 29er, and it increases the handling.

As far as the steel goes I was talking to my wise SS LBS man who rides a Salsa fork and has ridden pretty much any fork and he suggested that if I was going to switch out my Peace fork I would get little value from going to a Salsa fork. He said the difference would be noticed more with a carbon fork otherwise don't bother.

Post this in the 29er forum and they will break down all the tech details or search the Salsa fork as there is heaps of good threads on it and its tech.