Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

fork upgrade to 2008 Marathon 3.0

923 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Grey_Wolf 
#1 ·
this is the bike:
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Products/Mountain/Cross-Country/Full-Suspension/?s_archived=t#2621

Thinking about a fork upgrade. Options

RS Revelation 110-140mm U-turn
Fox Float RLC or R (140mm)
Fox Talas
Marzocchi 44 ATA 100-140mm

but also open to any other, especially cheaper options. I ride single track, XC, getting more and more aggressive as I learn, like everybody else here. Living in the SE (carolinas now, GA soon). This is my first bike and I'm planning to keep 'till frame is gone, if ever happen. I already upgraded brakes 'cause a crash, and wheels 'cause use or abuse.

Thanks to everybody in advance for ideas or help. I'm new to MTB but already addicted to it.

Diego.

#2 ·
Personally, I think the Talas / U-turn adjustable forks are kinda silly. I've never done a climb so steep my bike was the limiting factor. If it gets steep enough I need to drop the front end that much, I probably can't ride up it anyway. I had a Talas, and even in the gnarly long climbs in CO, I thought it was overkill.

When you add travel adjust, you're increasing weight and complexity. It's just one more thing to break, or one more thing to need servicing. For 2 inches of adjustment, I don't feel like it's worth it.

I would look at the Manitou Minute series. A few years ago Manitou sucked, but they've stepped up their game, and now make very good, lightweight and simple forks.

#3 ·
now is down to these...

if Fox Float: RLC or R??? ($500 sometimes at GF)
Revelation Dual air ($370)
Manitou minute.($400ish depending on model)

Thank you for your feed back. Being a new to MTB your advice was exactly what I needed.

#4 ·
Got three very nice forks there!

Any one of those will be an awesome fork and you won't regret either one!

Personally i've used a few forks with a travel adjust and loved the versatility, but Nato is right in you'll not use the feature often. It deffinately helps on the mad climbs (maybe things are a little steeper around my way Nato???) but yeah it's handy, not vital.

I just got a new rig with a Revalation 426 dual air, and it feels awesome. No U-Turn to weigh it down, it's only 60g heavier than the Float RLC and a lot cheaper. Fox are deffinately a nicer fork but you pay for it.

Manitou's seem to have a firmer damping feel to the RS so that comes down to personal preferance. If you know anyone who has one of these forks (or a bike shop with bikes that have these installed you can test) see which one feels better to you.

Personally, if you got cash to burn, run the fox. Otherwise, the Revelation is a nice, plush, highly adjustable lightweight unit, and the Manitou is a firmer, stiffer, fork with a high class finish.

Can't go wrong really!!!

#6 ·
got your point nato. I'm going back to school so reliability is a must. I've read that Manitou were bad and also some leaking oil issues with RS Revelation. Fox is more $ but if later I have to do less repairs it might pay by itself. Eatyapeas I agree with you about u-turn and talas, is a nice toy to have, but maybe like nato says, not a must have. I'm leaning toward the float the more I hear you guys.
Any comments or suggestion about Fox Float
R or RLC?

thanks again.

#7 ·
I would just go with the R, if you go with a Fox. They're a bit cheaper, a bit lighter, and a bit simpler.

I doubt the Fox will be more reliable or cheaper to maintain over a long period of time. It will ride better, but would be just as expensive to repair/maintain as anything else. The cost of a fork overhaul at my shop is the same regardless of the brand, and the seal kits are about the same price.

But I've seen Rock Shox forks that are 5-6 years old that have never been serviced that were still working reasonably well. Plus Rock Shox are everywhere and most shops can service them well, and have all the parts on hand.

#8 ·
so it will be the revelation...

no U-turn, only dual air to keep it simple. I care less about logo. I read great things about the revelation until I read a few things about them leaking oil.

if there is a difference of $50 between RS Revelation dual air 140mm and Fox Float R 140 mm which one would you get?

Based on your answer will be my purchase because your experience and uninterested on sales.

I really appreciate your time Nato.

thanks in advance.

Diego.

#10 ·
I agree with nato, travel adjust adds complexity and more potential for malfunctioning. Rock Shox apparently requires less maintenance, and when the time comes, it is easier to service, but i suppose RS probably have the best seals in the industry which may contribute to those factors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.