mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fork for an old Avalanche?

I have an old school RoxShox Judy T2 on my 97 Avalanche. I have a new Karakoram en-route, but I would like to "spruce" up the old ride as a loaner/ backup. I honestly don't want to spend ANY money on a front fork, But I think I should. What are my options? I think the cheapest forks today are probably as good as that old Judy is now and back in the day it was a decent fork! I am fine with buying something used to save some pennies, and like I mentioned a low price point is a must. I am re-doing all my brake and shifter cables and have some new pedals coming. thoughts?

L.R.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    after reading marpilli's aggressor build thread I think I am going to go with an older SID air shock-

I am NOT looking to spend booko bucks on my old ride, but with new cables, housings, pedals, etc on the way I figure it really does need it. My new 2011 Karakoram I was gonna go straight to a 1x9 and now I am thinking I am going to go 1x8 on my old Avalanche too!

time to watch E-bay!

L.R.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was watching E-bay and Craigslist for a good deal on a fork for the 2000 Homegrown I just picked up. It looked like all the decent stuff was going for $150+ I ended up finding a good sale price on a new 2012 Recon Silver TK - single air for only a few $ more, and I have the comfort of knowing that everything is new. it looks like I will have to service the new fork to install the spacer to drop the travel to 80mm to better match the frame geometry, but that's something I need to learn to do anyway :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is a "few" dollars more?

I looked and didn't see much at the 150.00 price I was hoping for

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I picked up the Recon silver TK SA for about $220

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I will have to keep an eye on it then- is that for V-brakes, or disk only?

L.R.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Recon Silver TK is disk or V-brake.