Thread: Force Q's

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Force Q's

If I'm not mistaken, the force has 6 inches of travel in the rear and uses a 5.5 inch fork up front correct?

Just wondering if anyone is running a 6 inch fork up front as well? Seems like an adjustable travel fork, I'm thinking Fox 36 RC2 would suit this bike perfectly? What would this do to the head tube angle?

May be driving from AZ to whistler this summer, if so I'd be riding on the way up, there, and on the way down. Looking for a 'do it all' bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Longer fork = slacker head angle
    shorter fork = steeper head angle
    adjustable fork = steeper or slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    Longer fork = slacker head angle
    shorter fork = steeper head angle
    adjustable fork = steeper or slacker head angle.
    Understood. im curious as to how much slacker the angle would become and whether or not the added stress would be a factor. I'm assuming it wouldnt considering the carbon force runs a 150mm fork.

mtbr member
    1" of travel is roughly equivalent to 1 degree in head angle.

The only time you really run into durability issues with headtubes is when you go to big 8" doublecrown forks. The Force is designed to be pretty burly already, but I wouldn't run more than a 160mm on there.

If you want to go big, the Sanction may be a better way to go. I know people who use the Sanction as an all-around bike, but they're in amazing shape, and like to ride really aggressively downhill. The Force is a better option for normal people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Right on, thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Sanction is listed at a 66degree head tube angle with a 160mm fork - I thought the Force had the same geometry and the only difference was the added top tube reinforcement?

If 20mm in height ~ 1 degree, a Force with a 160mm fork would come in at 68 degrees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just got an email back from GT, they don't have the same geometry as the sanction was designed with a slacker HA in mind for more aggressive riding.