View Poll Results: Safe to continue riding?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

1 100.00%
  • YES

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Force Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?

Cracks or not?

Force Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?-dsc_1948.jpgForce Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?-dsc_1949.jpgForce Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?-dsc_1953.jpgForce Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?-dsc_1966.jpg

I've been thinking for a couple of weeks about writing a follow up to my initial review where I completely trashed this bike. I wasn't far off, but I "figured it out". Because now, wouldn't you know, I quite like the bike. But I'll have to wait with that....because this is what I noticed today. Check the pictures.

If you look at my other posts, I've already gotten one replacement frame because of severe frame "bendiness". I even posted some videos on Youtube of it if you want to have a look. Nobody could figure out what it was, so they gave me a new frame. Then winter came and skiing took over. I've had 4-5 rides this side of 2013 and I wanted to give it a good cleaning. That's when I noticed the first "crack" on the chainstay. I thought it might just be a scratch filled with dirt, so I checked a bit closer. But it wasnęt. Finally I started to get things off the bike and then inspecting it properly.

The "cracks" are not coming from the outside, as in it does not appear too be cracks in the gloss-layer. Its coming from the inside.out, as the surface is completely smooth and I cant feel anything when running my fingernail across it.

There is one large on the right chainstay and this is the one I noticed first. It continues to the lower part (you cant see this in these pictures) and it appears to be the same "crack". It appears to go underneath the shiny chainprotector.

Then there are two cracks in the carbon-link bolt area on the main frame, right side.

There is another crack in the same area on the opposite side, but this is smaller/less noticeable than on the right side.

As for rider and rider style:

I'm 70kg, never huck or jump because it scares the sh't out of me, I ride 90% local forrest trails. I've had frame for 10-15 rides MAX, never had time to crash, there's not a scratch anywhere on anything. Basically, it's brand new, I treat it good and I'm very kind to her.

BIG QUESTION REALLY IS : Should I continue riding my bike or just return it (again)?

Funny thing is, the reason I washed my bike thoroughly today, was that I noticed some flexing in the rear like before, but nowhere near as much. LBS/GT told me to check/service the bolts regularly because they might set and need tightening. I wanted a clean bike so no dirt would get into the links.

Soooo, if these are cracks in the carbon, that would explain the flexing I noticed. I never checked for cracks on the first frame since it didn't even cross my mind. I can only speculate the other frame was cracked as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a few of those on my Marathon frame but they are not cracks, well at least not carbon cracks. Mine has the clearcoat and paint cracks which look like a crack all the way through. try and flex the area of the crack and see if it opens up wider. It may just be like mine and have the coating cracked but not the carbon.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    OH, one more thing. In the areas were it looked like a crack I bought some decal material that doesn't stretch and applied it to the crack. My thought on that was that if there is a crack and it starts to expand, the non stretchy decal will start deforming. It never did. The one I used was some type of fake carbon decal for automobiles.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's hard for me to believe your cracking these frames. I'm 210 lbs. and my marathon has done extremely well. Especially since you don't ride it that rough. I can also run my nails over the cracks on mine and I don't feel anything either. Man, I wish you were local so I can look at it a little better for ya. I'm not an expert but a second look always help. Sorry bro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    It's hard for me to believe your cracking these frames. I'm 210 lbs. and my marathon has done extremely well. Especially since you don't ride it that rough. I can also run my nails over the cracks on mine and I don't feel anything either. Man, I wish you were local so I can look at it a little better for ya. I'm not an expert but a second look always help. Sorry bro.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been investigating a little online and it does appear that these are "normal" even if they ain't pretty. It's just the locations that got me worried.

What I've found out that it shouldn't be like this, but it happens, so it's deemed normal. It could be shrinkage and/or an indication of movement. Which isn't good, so I'll keep an eye on the chainstay at least.

I did a complete teardown today, even if its still quite new. The links were FILLED with mud, grit and grease. The Shimano cranks were spotless inside and it made me wonder why GT didn't put in some rubbers to remedy this? Same area, same amount of exposure but dramatically different results.

At least, the bike is spotless and the rear is nice and toit again. Servicing the i-drive was a walk in the park with a nice sundae on top. So glad I did this.

As for breaking a carbon frame, there's always a certain number of bad frames. Nobody can be 100% on anything massproduced. What most prob happened to the first frame was bad bonding between the alu lugs and carbon frame. I saw no bending on the frame and no cracks. But the rear moved independantly from the front with no slack/movement in the links.

Moral of the story, know you gear before it owns you

Have a good one