Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Force Carbon rear tire rub -- need help/advice

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  chrisingrassia 
#1 ·
Evening everyone. Have a bit of an issue I could really use some help/guidance with. Building up a new 2012 GT Force Carbon with new carbon 33mm wide wheelset. Problem is my 26" 2.4 Schwalbe tire is rubbing just barely on the top of the chain stay. Sorry of saying "put on a smaller tire," any other suggestions that I could try to get this tire/wheel to work? Think sanding down the frame to remove the clear and paint would solve it? If I got 2mm of extra clearance I think that would do it. The lower part of the chain stay isn't even close to rubbing, just the top. Thanks in advance!!

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Tread Carmine

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm running 26", 33mm wide Light Bicycle rims (you can find the thread for these wheels on these forums). Schwalbe tires are an absolute nightmare to install, plus I've already got these guys all set up for tubeless and the Stan's in it. Am really just curious if there's another option to get the frame to allow the tire as is. A different type of dropout that gives me just a bit more clearance?

#8 ·
That is not enough clearance. Even the slightest bend in rim will cause it to rub.

Does a tire at 40mph have enough centrifugal force to stretch it by a mm or 2?

It will be nothing but a dirt and mud collector on the frame

You really should mount a tire that fit

#9 · (Edited)
The stock tire is a 2.25", I wanted to run my 2.4". I was totally unaware that a wider tire is actually TALLER as well in the wheelwell. Never would have expected it; if I did I wouldn't have gone through the tubeless setup and bothered with Stan's goop.

A different type of dropout that gives me just a bit more clearance?

#13 ·
Most of your drag comes from the back tire. A smaller in the rear makes it fast, but eith your weight sitting back so far on the bike, it bites better. I run a smallish xc tire in the rear and a big front to grab everything while unweighted

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Not sure I understand the physics of that concept. An XC tire vs. AM/DH tire in the rear would provide less grip while pedaling, especially when standing and climb-pedaling. No?

Regardless, sounds like my 2.4 in the rear is a no-go anyway on the Force Carbon, which is what I'm most disappointed with.

#14 ·
With a smaller tire you have more weight per square inch. I'm 6'2", 225lbs, and on a good day can put 1000 watts to the cranks. I don't think I need much more than a 2.1" tire with some really good grip. A bigger tire floats over things and actually has less rolling resistance at the same psi. Often times rear tires are narrower because you don't want the tire to float but dig into soft dirt, loose over hard, or mud and find traction for when you put the power down. Also, some folk prefer that the rear tire loses traction first letting them know that the front may be soon to go. If you ride down hill more than up (the kind of riding the Force is aimed at) then a bigger tire in the back kind of makes sense as you can find yourself putting greater forces cornering at high speeds than you could muster out of you legs. But really, a 2.4 in the front and 2.2/2.3 in the back should be more than enough.

#15 ·
My question still somewhat remains though: even if I go to a 2.2/2.3 tire in the rear, it still means the tire would rub. I'm not rubbing the left/right sides of the chainstay, it's rubbing the top. Unless a 2.2/2.3 tire would be shorter in actual height.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.