mtbr member
    May 2008

Force 3.0 Weight Large Stock?? How does it climb?

Does anyone have an estimate or know the weight on the Force 3.0 size large stock bike?
    Also any idea how it climbs? I am still up in the air and confused about this AM v. XC thing. Basically want the benefits of a light XC when climbing with the added durability of AM. I am deciding between this an the Prophet. I hear the Prophet climbs well but not much out about Force still.

Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just bought a 2.0 in medium and I haven't weighed it yet but I hear it is around 30ish pounds. I can tell you it climbs very well. It's not an XC bike so don't expect it to be a greased lightning in the climbs. I have a lightweight XC GT and the Force climbed pretty much everything the I-drive Team did but it took more effort. The 2.0 came alive in the downhills though. With my XC ride I always had to worry about what line to take to avoid the 2 to 3 foot drops but the Force has no problem with them. If you aren't gonna race competitively in XC then don't worry about it and get the Force. The frames are astonishingly stiff and they feel great and plush. I'm glad I have the 2.0. Don't know much about the prophet though. I hope you can test ride both even if it's around the parking lot.
    Good luck with your choice.

GT J

mtbr member
    I bought a 2008 GT Force 3.0 size Large last week. I only have one bike to compare it to for climbing, and that's a Gary Fisher Marlin hardtail, so keep that in mind with my review.

The bike itself feels only slightly heavier than the Marlin, despite being a full suspension bike, and the Marlin weighs just under 30lbs I think. Picking them both up, I can only tell a slight difference in weight.

As for climbing ability, I'm very happy with the Force's ability to climb up shorter technical sections of trail. It beats the pants off the Marlin in this category and I love that the front shocks are easily adjustable. Longer, smoother climbs feel more sluggish on the GT than the Marlin but the difference has been fairly minor for me so far and I certianly don't struggle to get the bike up the mountain. That said, long climbs up smooth fireroads is not the strong point of the Force for sure. In my experience it excels at downhill, short technical uphill, and even does well cross country.

I think its a good all-around bike, with a slant to the steep and bumpy stuff. I hope that helps!