mtbr member
    Sep 2006

A favorite GT story...

Here's mine:

Here's a story about a GT that might interest some of you. Last year we took a trip to Big Bear. I have a Sanction 1.0 which I love and I've managed to talk my other buddies into various GT/Mongoose Bikes since we have a local Performance shop which has been good to me.

Our buddy Jay, who weighed in at about 300 and change said he wanted to try out Mountain Biking too. So two days before the trip, he heads down to Performance and comes back with an Avalanche for $800. "Jay, you're in!"

Big Bear June 2011- We're up at Summit just getting off the chair lift and we all agreed to tell Jay to take the fire trails down (can you see where this is going?) cause his bike has limited suspension and he's a beginner. Well, we hit the first trail and head down a trail which I consider to be a blue/black diamond. We all meet at the bottom breathing hard, laughing talking about the trail and stuff we almost died on, then all of a sudden, here comes Jay. Apparently we all agreed to tell him but no one actually told him. Yuuuuuup! And so here he is at the bottom; barely A giant ball of dirt, busted visor, legs cut up, and, this is the best part, so much dirt on his teeth from smiling that it looked like he actually knocked his front teeth out. Scared the hell out of us. We couldn't stop taking pictures. And we still can't stop laughing. But overall, he earned some serious respect that day.

Fast forward a year to just this last weekend:

Big Bear, Snow Summit, same runs and more- .....Here's Jay, 65lbs lighter, bombing down the mountain right behind me in his GT Force 2.0 that he bought right after the trip last year. He rode my Sanction one time and and went straight down to the shop and they actually gave him credit towards a new 2011 model Force! How sweet it is. He now rides all the mountain and pedals up as much as he can with me here in SoCal and never quits.

The moral of the story? Buy a GT, and buy it from Performance. LOL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great story but where are the pics bro? You gotta share the pics.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

A year later and lighter.

Chamois Dropper
    Good post. That dirty teeth pick made me LOL
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome!!!!!
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.