MTBR Member since 2001...

Fair Market Valuation

Guys,
    I am going to put my GT Force 3 up for sale shortly. It's a 2008 I purchased new for $1599 +tax. I rode it casually for one year and put less than 500 miles on it. Then I started working from home. It has been sitting in a server room at our data center ever since.

I brought it home about 3 months ago and started riding it again.. Did a simple tune up and it still rides like a dream. I developed a little creak, so I serviced the pivots and dropouts last week. She's quiet again. It looks like a new bike, shiny showroom floor condition. No scratches, dents, dings or rust. Seriously, mirror looking shiny finish. Tires are 80%. Brakes are 80%

What I've added:
    Shimano 520 clipless pedals
    Raceface Evolve 90cm stem
    Easton Monkeylite bars
    Selle Italia Shiver Gel Saddle
    Ergo Grips
    Neoprene Fork Boots
    Neoprene Shock Boot
    Neoprene Chainstay Protector

$1700 for bike new. I was going to subtract $700 off the top since it's 4 years old. So, $1000.00 plus the $350 in upgrades, but realistically was only going to expect about $200 for these. So final price $1200. Keep in mind there isn't a mark on her.. This is an older pic of the bike, The new stem and seat are not in this pic.

I'm usually spot on with bike valuation, but I'm thinking about selling this to a friend. Probably why I'm questioning myself. The condition is superior, I'd say 8.5-9 easy. Is this fair?

BikePedia - 2008 GT Force 3.0 Complete Bicycle

Last edited by shadowsports; 09-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    my own opinion,Too much. A 2011 force 2 from performance bike is $1799 and you can get better prices than that

Sneaker man
    personal thoughts,
    upgrades don't add resell value to a bike unless, unless they are high end stuff like throwing xtr all over it. All of your "upgrades" are just parts, they wouldn't add to the value of the bike. So zero dollars there.
    its a 4 year old bike, it may be in good condition, but its still old. It's not vintage old where bikes hold or can push up their value its just a few years old, so people will be either wanting something newer, or they'll go for older but won't want to pay anything for it.
    So, I'd say $700 maybe 800 tops. But thats just me, I may be way off

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    my own opinion,Too much. A 2011 force 2 from performance bike is $1799 and you can get better prices than that
    If you're referring to what they are selling online, only size extra small is available. I have two stores within 20 miles of me and neither of them have any 2011's in stock. This is a good comparison however.

Mik_git, you've got a valid point in regards to upgrades. Someone else here just picked up an '09 for $750. Mine just has lower miles. You're right, the parts are just that, parts.

Thanks for setting me straight.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others