Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Everything Gt Lts

403K views 1K replies 258 participants last post by  Dirt or Die 
#1 ·
Please Post Everything You Have Related To The Gt Lts Bike From Old Ads To Articles To Specs , Tips, Stories About Bike. Manuals And Of Course All You Pics . I Am Building A 1996 New Old Stock Lts 1 Frame I Found With All Xtr And Saint Parts

Attachments

See less See more
#834 ·
how much would someone pay for this?

I'm trying to sell up some of my MTBs. If this is the last to sell, I'll keep it and go nuts on making it light for XC racing duties. I've got bearings already - so it'll last me for a long time.

It sits at 11kgs in current form with Crossmax SLRs, but I've worked out how to shave off more weight

- New Stem (currently EA50 to 3T stem) - 50g
- Rear derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M972 XTR - 40g
- Crankset (currently Stylo 3.3 GXP to M970 XTR) - 100g
- Front derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 30g
- Front and Rear brake calipers (M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 50g
- Shimano Durace chain (currently some old Sachs chain) - 50g
- Cut off V-brake posts on forks - 50g
- Pedals (currently M520 LX to M980 XTR) - 70g

That means logically, I can shave off about 440g (yes, I'm a weight weenie. A 10.6kg GT LTS would be awesome...

#835 ·
Stoked!

I wanted to find a full suspension mountain bike for my wife (who am I kidding, a 2nd mountain bike for me) and I wanted to get something unique and older. I saw a GT LTS locally on Craigslist a few months back and started to do a little research to see if they were worth a hoot. I found this thread and was really surprised to see these bikes had such a following still. Not many of the other "vintage" full suspensions have that, and compared to the other bikes I've seen, there are still a good amount of parts out there to keep these babies on the trail. Turns out the guy had already sold the bike, but in the meantime I read through all 34 pages of this thread and searched patiently to find one. Finally, I snagged a 1998 LTS 2000 on eBay and it just arrived! I can't wait to get started on my retrofit/ upgrade plans. Once I get 10 posts I'll put some pictures up.

#839 ·
Dude are you serious? "the bike that started the GT mountain bike empire" Seriously an 88 Karakoram started the GT mountain bike empire? Nice bike bro, but there were many before it and many that were raced and ridden to more glory in building the GT early yr mountain bike glory. It had it's glory when named bike of the year by Mountain Bike mag in 95.

#841 ·
I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?

And perhaps improve the design to make it even better, I mean technology has evolved since then. As for me I'm no expert, so I couldn't really suggest any specific upgrades to the design, but I'm sure you guys already have your list

:)

#842 ·
I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?
A standard patent lasts 20 years unless I am mistaken. It starts from the time it is applied for, not when it is approved. In order to renew the patent I am almost positive that the design must be significantly changed otherwise it expires and is anybody's game. That said, if you want to play with or make a design similar or identical to what GT did on the LTS, you are free to go and have nothing to worry about even if their patent is still valid unless you intend to profit from the design. That is where things get hairy for the one infringing on the patent.

#843 ·
I'm in agreement with mtbnozpikr; Common sense would tell me that if you were to make a one-off LTS-type bike for yourself, any patent infringing would be irrelevant. However, I would also add that if you tried to market and sell your bike in competition with other bike manufacturers (yes even small-time builders), that is where the problem will arise.... You can bet you will get a call from the team of lawyers representing Specialized...

#844 · (Edited)
Well, while we are on the subject, I want to say that I don't have an axe to grind against Specialized...I just feel like the horst pivot had so much potential and when Specialized beat everyone else to the patent office, it pretty much squashed all hope and potential that it could have had for all of mountain bikers. It pretty much told all other manufacturers to find another way to make their suspension work. Granted, they did and we have a bunch of choices now, but at that time, it seemed like cheating us bikers out of a great suspension concept and the development thereof was just wrong.

In a business sense, it made sense to secure and lock in their future, but like racing regulations, it limits all that potential that could have been opened, if so many other suspension gurus could work and utilize the design...

Oh well...I'll close by showing my Titus Rockstar chainstay...it still wears a nod of permission from the "big S" to say it's okay legally.. I guess you could google the patent numbers and see what the status of them are..

Attachments

#847 ·
I have that manual if you want to look at it.. maybe you will have better luck than I did.. my shock was blown out and no parts available, So I had to buy a new shock from Yasusu.. which is an awesome shock by the way.. I was lucky since I have a '96 and do not use a trunion.. if you have an email.. I will send you the manual..

#850 ·
Lts-dh

I love the LTS. I had the "XC" LTS 1 and cracked the rear, GT sent me a XCR frame as a replacement. I also have my LTS DH from 1993;

I modified it for XC when I moved to FL since I broke my XCR and waited forever for the replacement from then Pacific Cycles. I just pulled it out this weekend and cleaned it up. So stoked to take it to the freeride area at Markham Park in Sunrise FL

Attachments

#857 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 97 LTS, the one with the "chips" on the rear shock and I have two questions.

My frame is the straight seat tube, can I use the rear pivot and entire rear suspension from the later bent seat tube models? Are all the pivot bushings the same also?

Also are all the rear suspension parts interchangable from an 18" to a 20" ?

I am looking at picking up another frame to use for parts.

Thanks, Bill

#860 ·
TAOS, I'm just not too excited on picking up a new old stock Rock Shox...I mean, think about how old they are now? Those rubber seals aren't going to last forever, or will they? Anyway, I picked up a couple NOS Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe (trunion mount) for cheap quite some time ago...if you get really desperate, PM me. Preload and damping adjustments only...

#861 ·
So the LTS I bought turned out to be a little too big for me and definitely too big for my wife. So I found a great frame only on ebay that was the most updated rear with the disc tab holes on what looked to be cnc'd dropouts. The seller didn't mention it, but when I got it it seemed a little different, looks like it might be the downhill model - has a 'DH' stamped under the rear swing arm. I'm wondering if anyone knows what differences the DH models have compared with, say the LTS 2000s (boomerang models).

#865 ·
where can i buy used Gt bikes at lowest price?
From your local Craigslist is where the LTS bargains are to be found apparently...

The sellers on ebay think the bikes they have now are made of unobtainium or something.... If someone offered me 1,200 large for my STS, I'd sell it too...

I've got a soft spot for a Trek y-11, 97 model and there's one seller asking more for one than what it cost new. They weren't even all that to begin with.

#866 ·
Shock upgrade

So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS). Wood Machine tool Bumper Gas Milling
Automotive tire Tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine
Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#869 ·
So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS). View attachment 777399 View attachment 777400 View attachment 777401
Very nice retrofitting! I don't have the trunion mount on my LTS-1, but I still stuffed a 6.5 ete Fox Float on there and it made all the difference in the world ad I'm sure you've felt. It's amazing how after all these years, these frames still dominate against alot of what's offered out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.