Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morlysafer View Post
    Saw this on my local craiglist and thought I would share, looks clean.

GT LTS 2000 FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKE
    Seems like a little too much for that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think I have a LTS or a STS but can tell which is which. SN reads: 029600280 18 Want to post pics but need a few more posts!

GT LTS Hoarder
    It's easy:

LTS = Aluminum
    STS = Thermoplastic

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hello LTS enthusiasts! Beginner rider here wondering if I could get some info on my newly acquired GT. I picked it up for $125 from a friend. I am still unsure if it is a LTS or a STS or what series, but in any case it could use some work. Seems like it has some good components on it but the front gear (name?) has some rock guard and a chain guide but it seems like the chain jumps off like crazy! Also the Rockshox Duke SL seems to be real squishy and may need a rebuild. What about those brakes and shifter?, any good?

Any additional info would be great!

SN: 029600280 18

Kooka stem and crank arms
    Cane creek headset
    Risse Racing rear shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Looks like a '96 STS. Assuming the frame's in good shape I'd say you got a good deal. The Risse rear shock is a nice upgrade. Fortunately, if the rear shock's bad it's an easy replacement for you since your STS doesn't have the trunion mounted shock of the later STSs and LTSs. I'm not familiar with bash guard/chain tensioner setups, but your jumping chain could be from a bent or worn front sprocket, or misalignment somewhere in the drivetrain. Also, looks like the dropout might not fit quite right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    By dropout I meant the derailleur hanger. Just had a look at mine (98 STS) and there's a similar, if somewhat smaller gap. Yours has probably just seen more use than mine...

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested, I posted a video on YouTube of dissecting a 1997 GT LTS-5 elastomer rear shock.

It wont let me post a link to the video since my post count is less than 10. Whatever... Just search YouTube for "GT LTS-5 Elastomer Rear Shock Disassembly/Assembly"

It toasted. My current plan is to get a elastomer rear shock from a 1996 LTS-3 and swap some parts to make it fit the LTS-5. I have read a couple places that this is possible.
    After I get the rear shock fixed, then I am going to take a look at the forks. I think they may need some work too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HingeT View Post
    If anyone is interested, I posted a video on YouTube of dissecting a 1997 GT LTS-5 elastomer rear shock.

It wont let me post a link to the video since my post count is less than 10. Whatever... Just search YouTube for "GT LTS-5 Elastomer Rear Shock Disassembly/Assembly"

It toasted. My current plan is to get a elastomer rear shock from a 1996 LTS-3 and swap some parts to make it fit the LTS-5. I have read a couple places that this is possible.
    After I get the rear shock fixed, then I am going to take a look at the forks. I think they may need some work too.
    Here's the link for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey does anyone know if there is any way to get the rear derailleur cable back inside the frame? I have the rear brake cable routed correctly but the derailleur doesn't seem to have any internal routing.

GT LTS Hoarder
    A wire clothes hanger, tape, patience, and a bit of voodoo did it for me.

Take your seat tube out. Straighten out a wire hanger until it was perfectly straight and push it straight though the from the seat tube to the head tube. Tape replacement cable onto tip of wire hanger. Pull said wire hanger backwards though with cable attached. Bravo, you are done...

Wait, did you remember to put the cable housing on first???

Repeat process... but with cable housing on between shifter/head tube...

GT LTS Hoarder
    And don't forget the cable ferrule....

What, WAT???

Repeat process...
    Third time is a charm....

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Looks like a '96 STS.
    Ditto here. The dead give way is the cantilever cable hanger that is on the rear triangle.
    None of the 97 models had a hanger on them. The only other option was if someone swapped rear triangles with you...

You got a heckova deal provided the frame isn't broken... I'd gladly give you your money back on it + shipping if you can't get it sorted. lol

Whatever you do, don't pitch those Kooka cranks in the bin.... people are stupid crazy about those... hint hint.... check e b a y

mtbr member
    Does anybody know where I can get new boots for the RST 381 shocks? Mine shredded.

Also looking for the adjuster cap wrench. Or is there another tool I can use to disassemble the shock? I am guessing channel locks would work, but I would prefer to have a proper tool.

And I am guessing I will need new elastomers for them as well. I found a set for $40, but maybe there is some place cheaper?

mtbr member
    Nevermind on the boots. I went ahead and ordered some Lizard Skins fork boots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie View Post
    A wire clothes hanger, tape, patience, and a bit of voodoo did it for me.
    Well I tried the coat hanger, but what did it was some floral wire! Key word patience. Seat removal is a must. Thanks!

mtbr member
    My GT LTS-5 project bike.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xxLaI8MY9fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLaI8MY9fs
    Last edited by HingeT; 12-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I put together another video for how to convert an LTS-3 rear elastomer shock to fit an LTS-5.. I hope this helps people with dead shocks on the LTS-5's. I think the LTS-4's had the same elastomer shock as the LTS-5?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/52qd3Z8cl4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qd3Z8cl4Q
    Last edited by HingeT; 12-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    It's easy:

LTS = Aluminum
    STS = Thermoplastic
    Not really. Mine that I bought in 96' was an LTS but was thermoplastic. STS came out right after.

mtbr member
    unbelievable find for that price. do you plan on keeping the 1x9 setup? if not put another ring on and run it 2x9 with a derailleur and you won't have to worry about the chain falling off anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey everyone! First post here.

I'm looking at a GT LTS4 on craigslist in my area. It is totally stock and looks to be in a very clean state. They are asking $185 for it. I've done a bit of research throughout this forum and that seems like a pretty good price, but what do you guys think? I like the vintage aspect of the bike and I like the idea of bringing an older, but well respected frame, up to speed with components and retrofits.

Please let me know what you guys think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My beloved '96 GT LTS-1 days may be numbered.. discovered a small crack developing on the drive side chainstay right next to the big chain ring.. checking with some local welders to see if they can put a bead across it to keep it from spreading..

Just wondering if you guys have a chain stay (or frame for that matter) for a 19 inch LTS laying around that you would like to sell..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look for a good tig welder mate, it shouldn´t be a problem to weld it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    My beloved '96 GT LTS-1 days may be numbered.. discovered a small crack developing on the drive side chainstay right next to the big chain ring.. checking with some local welders to see if they can put a bead across it to keep it from spreading..

Just wondering if you guys have a chain stay (or frame for that matter) for a 19 inch LTS laying around that you would like to sell..
    I have an 18" thermo that I just stripped down that I am planning on listing soon on ebay. Just haven't found the time. Has a risse air shock. Have an alps 4r spare practically new as a spare and all titanium bolt for all pivots. Ti. bottom bracket as well.
    Gonna try to list it next week off of work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    I have an 18" thermo that I just stripped down that I am planning on listing soon on ebay. Just haven't found the time. Has a risse air shock. Have an alps 4r spare practically new as a spare and all titanium bolt for all pivots. Ti. bottom bracket as well.
    Gonna try to list it next week off of work.
    cool!! I will be looking for it. I found someone to weld my swingarm.. hopefully it will turn out okay... his work looks real good..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    got my swingarm/chainstay fixed!! looks real good and charged $50.. they fixed the crack and also built up where the chain and chainring grinded the chainstay down over the years..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-swingarmfix.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's cool that you could get the swing arm fixed! Can you grind it down flush, or would that weaken it too much? Are you going to paint it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HingeT View Post
    That's cool that you could get the swing arm fixed! Can you grind it down flush, or would that weaken it too much? Are you going to paint it?
    I am not going to grind it flush.. It was a crack and they just put a bead over it.. I will not paint it, since my bike is the polished aluminum type.. You can't see it since the crank hides it.. I am just going to put a chain slap guard over it..

yeah, its cool I can get it fixed... now I won't be to afraid to put more money into it.. I want to upgrade the drive train... full XT/XTR..

mtbr member
    It's the holiday's!!! Go nuts. Full xtr.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've attached a few crappy cell phone pics below of my build that I've finally seen to fruition after a few years in the works. Hopefully the weather will cooperate here soon and I'll get a chance to go out and see if I can avoid breaking my collar bone in my first outing on a FS rig!
    I like to think that most of the gear on her is nearly top of the line (period corrected) with some new parts mixed in as well.
    I'd like to draw some attention to the pic where the front derailleur should be mounted. I had both a top and bottom pull derailleur on hand for my buddy to install, but he couldn't figure out how to get either of them to work, so after the hour plus that he spent routing the cables through the frame (magnets involved), he just tied the cable off to the post, so I'm currently set up for a single speed crank.
    I'm tempted to just take the extra rings off and run a 1x8 setup, but I'm curious what products I should be looking for to make this a reliable setup. I've been out of biking for over 10 years now, so I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest setups and/or conversions. I don't want to jump the chain off or have other related issues. What advice can anyone offer?
    Any/all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you all rock!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miataeric1 View Post
    I've attached a few crappy cell phone pics below of my build that I've finally seen to fruition after a few years in the works. Hopefully the weather will cooperate here soon and I'll get a chance to go out and see if I can avoid breaking my collar bone in my first outing on a FS rig!
    I like to think that most of the gear on her is nearly top of the line (period corrected) with some new parts mixed in as well.
    I'd like to draw some attention to the pic where the front derailleur should be mounted. I had both a top and bottom pull derailleur on hand for my buddy to install, but he couldn't figure out how to get either of them to work, so after the hour plus that he spent routing the cables through the frame (magnets involved), he just tied the cable off to the post, so I'm currently set up for a single speed crank.
    I'm tempted to just take the extra rings off and run a 1x8 setup, but I'm curious what products I should be looking for to make this a reliable setup. I've been out of biking for over 10 years now, so I'm not up to speed on all the latest and greatest setups and/or conversions. I don't want to jump the chain off or have other related issues. What advice can anyone offer?
    Any/all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you all rock!

Go back to page 8, post 768 and you will see how the derailleur is spose to work. Remember that Shimano make 2 types of front derailleurs. A top swing cage, were the swinging cage is above the clamp (which is what you want ) and a bottom swing cage, were the swinging cage is below the clamp. You also must get the correct inside diamater clamp that is part of the derailleur, so you need to measure the diamater of the short snub, were the derailleur mounts. I think it is 31.8 or it might be 34.9, i am not sure. You can see that the cable comes up from the bottom of the frame, so look for a hole in the frame,were the cabe and housing come out of the frame. You will also need the top swing derailleur to be a bottom pull (the cable pulls down). You should look back on these pages and stop at all of the STS type bikes to help you with your build. Hope this helps with your build.
    Last edited by doralswheels; 12-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Its official. The last one of my four gt lts' up for sale on ebay.

GT Lts STS Thermoplastic 18'' Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay
    Any questions, let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    Its official. The last one of my four gt lts' up for sale on ebay.

GT Lts STS Thermoplastic 18'' Full Suspension Mountain Bike Frame | eBay
    Any questions, let me know.
    Pretty frame.. how does that Cane Creek work.. any good?.. I prefer coil over suspension.. I find air shocks too harsh..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartar View Post
    Pretty frame.. how does that Cane Creek work.. any good?.. I prefer coil over suspension.. I find air shocks too harsh..
    I didn't use it enough to find out. Only rode it probably two to three times and it was on the street. My fav was the fox alps 4r that I am selling. Funny, I find coils on this bike or any other too harsh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    how much would someone pay for this?

I'm trying to sell up some of my MTBs. If this is the last to sell, I'll keep it and go nuts on making it light for XC racing duties. I've got bearings already - so it'll last me for a long time.

It sits at 11kgs in current form with Crossmax SLRs, but I've worked out how to shave off more weight

- New Stem (currently EA50 to 3T stem) - 50g
    - Rear derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M972 XTR - 40g
    - Crankset (currently Stylo 3.3 GXP to M970 XTR) - 100g
    - Front derailleur, (currently M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 30g
    - Front and Rear brake calipers (M770 XT to M980 XTR) - 50g
    - Shimano Durace chain (currently some old Sachs chain) - 50g
    - Cut off V-brake posts on forks - 50g
    - Pedals (currently M520 LX to M980 XTR) - 70g

That means logically, I can shave off about 440g (yes, I'm a weight weenie. A 10.6kg GT LTS would be awesome...
    Current rides: 1996 GT LTS-3, Bianchi Nirone C2C, Giant Trinity
    SOLD: 2009 Giant Anthem X0, 2008 Orbea Alma Carbon Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Stoked!

I wanted to find a full suspension mountain bike for my wife (who am I kidding, a 2nd mountain bike for me) and I wanted to get something unique and older. I saw a GT LTS locally on Craigslist a few months back and started to do a little research to see if they were worth a hoot. I found this thread and was really surprised to see these bikes had such a following still. Not many of the other "vintage" full suspensions have that, and compared to the other bikes I've seen, there are still a good amount of parts out there to keep these babies on the trail. Turns out the guy had already sold the bike, but in the meantime I read through all 34 pages of this thread and searched patiently to find one. Finally, I snagged a 1998 LTS 2000 on eBay and it just arrived! I can't wait to get started on my retrofit/ upgrade plans. Once I get 10 posts I'll put some pictures up.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Bob82pigdog;

Congrats and welcome to the LTS thread..

And davevo_82... I wouldn't sell your LTS. Very few people would appreciate it in the state it is in and you won't get much money out of it. I say put her on a diet and see how low you can go.

Huckin' trails
    And throw some carbon wheels on it, you're gonna get way more bang for your bucks than all those fancy upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If anyone needs an LTS, mine is posted over on Pinkbike

I've also got a 91 Karakoram and a nice vintage 88 Karakoram listed as well.

Time to thin the herd a bit. PM me with any questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    If anyone needs an LTS, mine is posted over on Pinkbike

I've also got a 91 Karakoram and a nice vintage 88 Karakoram listed as well.

Time to thin the herd a bit. PM me with any questions.
    Dude are you serious? "the bike that started the GT mountain bike empire" Seriously an 88 Karakoram started the GT mountain bike empire? Nice bike bro, but there were many before it and many that were raced and ridden to more glory in building the GT early yr mountain bike glory. It had it's glory when named bike of the year by Mountain Bike mag in 95.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow IronV6s adapter is just awesome, does anybody else has something like that in order to use a regular shock?

Huckin' trails
    I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?

And perhaps improve the design to make it even better, I mean technology has evolved since then. As for me I'm no expert, so I couldn't really suggest any specific upgrades to the design, but I'm sure you guys already have your list

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I was wondering what's the patents status on the LTS design and overall frame ? Thought it would make one hell of a fun winter project to actually weld and build one home-made LTS for one's who got the resources and time ?
    A standard patent lasts 20 years unless I am mistaken. It starts from the time it is applied for, not when it is approved. In order to renew the patent I am almost positive that the design must be significantly changed otherwise it expires and is anybody's game. That said, if you want to play with or make a design similar or identical to what GT did on the LTS, you are free to go and have nothing to worry about even if their patent is still valid unless you intend to profit from the design. That is where things get hairy for the one infringing on the patent.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

GT LTS Hoarder
    I'm in agreement with mtbnozpikr; Common sense would tell me that if you were to make a one-off LTS-type bike for yourself, any patent infringing would be irrelevant. However, I would also add that if you tried to market and sell your bike in competition with other bike manufacturers (yes even small-time builders), that is where the problem will arise.... You can bet you will get a call from the team of lawyers representing Specialized...

GT LTS Hoarder
    Well, while we are on the subject, I want to say that I don't have an axe to grind against Specialized...I just feel like the horst pivot had so much potential and when Specialized beat everyone else to the patent office, it pretty much squashed all hope and potential that it could have had for all of mountain bikers. It pretty much told all other manufacturers to find another way to make their suspension work. Granted, they did and we have a bunch of choices now, but at that time, it seemed like cheating us bikers out of a great suspension concept and the development thereof was just wrong.

In a business sense, it made sense to secure and lock in their future, but like racing regulations, it limits all that potential that could have been opened, if so many other suspension gurus could work and utilize the design...

Oh well...I'll close by showing my Titus Rockstar chainstay...it still wears a nod of permission from the "big S" to say it's okay legally.. I guess you could google the patent numbers and see what the status of them are..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-photo.jpg  

Last edited by johntheroadie; 01-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    In case anybody is looking, I am selling some pivot sleaves and a fox alps 4r shock for the lts/sts frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi
    I'm from Portugal and i have one red GT Lts 3000 ds!
    I'm looking for the exploded view of the Rockshox Deluxe shock to rebuild mine!
    Thanks for this great forum!
    Regards
    Virgilio

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgilio Araújo View Post
    Hi
    I'm from Portugal and i have one red GT Lts 3000 ds!
    I'm looking for the exploded view of the Rockshox Deluxe shock to rebuild mine!
    Thanks for this great forum!
    Regards
    Virgilio

I have that manual if you want to look at it.. maybe you will have better luck than I did.. my shock was blown out and no parts available, So I had to buy a new shock from Yasusu.. which is an awesome shock by the way.. I was lucky since I have a '96 and do not use a trunion.. if you have an email.. I will send you the manual..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks hartar
    Can you send me your's by PM?
    I can't send yet pm's...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sundoparamim hat gmail dot com

rubber side down

Lts-dh

I love the LTS. I had the "XC" LTS 1 and cracked the rear, GT sent me a XCR frame as a replacement. I also have my LTS DH from 1993;

I modified it for XC when I moved to FL since I broke my XCR and waited forever for the replacement from then Pacific Cycles. I just pulled it out this weekend and cleaned it up. So stoked to take it to the freeride area at Markham Park in Sunrise FL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-chris_lts.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgilio Araújo View Post
    Thanks hartar
    Can you send me your's by PM?
    I can't send yet pm's...
    I sent it to you.. let me know if you got it okay..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks hartar

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

And perhaps improve the design to make it even better, I mean technology has evolved since then. As for me I'm no expert, so I couldn't really suggest any specific upgrades to the design, but I'm sure you guys already have your list

I owned a GT LTS back in 97 and loved it. I have a 2008 Ellsworth Moment now and even though I have a soft spot for the GT's, the newer designs take it much farther than GT ever did.

IMHO, of course.

Too bad GT gave up on the LTS/STS.
    Last edited by btl68; 02-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.

rubber side down
    I am looking for a RockShox Super Deluxe for my LTS DH pictured a couple posts up. Any ideas or is anyone hording one they would mind selling? Or do I just need to try my luck on ebay?
    Thanks in advance for any help/leads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    TAOS1- I've seen a few shocks pop up on eBay recently. Also Hippie Tech suspension has a LTS shock for sale.Or you could try googling Risse Racing - they make a replacement air shock for the LTS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello everyone, I just picked up a 97 LTS, the one with the "chips" on the rear shock and I have two questions.

My frame is the straight seat tube, can I use the rear pivot and entire rear suspension from the later bent seat tube models? Are all the pivot bushings the same also?

Also are all the rear suspension parts interchangable from an 18" to a 20" ?

I am looking at picking up another frame to use for parts.

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by Wild Bill03; 02-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.

rubber side down
    Thanks for the links Bob! Wow, the Risse's are big money!

I just missed the one on the bay that went for $66!

@Bill, Good question, take some measurements.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill03 View Post

Also are all the rear suspension parts interchangeable from an 18" to a 20" ?

Thanks, Bill

Just from what I've observed, the only difference between the sizes is the front triangle.

Unless you gotta LTS tandem rear end.

GT LTS Hoarder
    TAOS, I'm just not too excited on picking up a new old stock Rock Shox...I mean, think about how old they are now? Those rubber seals aren't going to last forever, or will they? Anyway, I picked up a couple NOS Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe (trunion mount) for cheap quite some time ago...if you get really desperate, PM me. Preload and damping adjustments only...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So the LTS I bought turned out to be a little too big for me and definitely too big for my wife. So I found a great frame only on ebay that was the most updated rear with the disc tab holes on what looked to be cnc'd dropouts. The seller didn't mention it, but when I got it it seemed a little different, looks like it might be the downhill model - has a 'DH' stamped under the rear swing arm. I'm wondering if anyone knows what differences the DH models have compared with, say the LTS 2000s (boomerang models).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    TAOS1- I've seen a few shocks pop up on eBay recently. Also Hippie Tech suspension has a LTS shock for sale.Or you could try googling Risse Racing - they make a replacement air shock for the LTS.
    I recently bought a 1996 GT LTS-1 and the guy had just gotten the Super Deluxe shock and Rockshox Judy DHO fork rebuilt by him. Both ride great, but I just replaced the Super Deluxe with my Fox Float.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hello other LTS fans. I just picked up a 1996 GT LTS-1 in about 7/10 condition. I was so impressed by how it rode that I decided to completely modernize it. Once I get 10 posts I'll add pictures to this post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    where can i buy used Gt bikes at lowest price?i cant find it at amazon.com,maybe ebay?

GT LTS Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by gvelco View Post
    where can i buy used Gt bikes at lowest price?
    From your local Craigslist is where the LTS bargains are to be found apparently...

The sellers on ebay think the bikes they have now are made of unobtainium or something.... If someone offered me 1,200 large for my STS, I'd sell it too...

I've got a soft spot for a Trek y-11, 97 model and there's one seller asking more for one than what it cost new. They weren't even all that to begin with.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Shock upgrade

So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
    Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS).Everything Gt Lts-img-20130227-wa0003.jpgEverything Gt Lts-sin-t-tulo.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img-20130303-wa0001.jpg

rubber side down
    ^^I dig that Modification! Would like to see more pictures! Great looking bike!

I just scored this one....

Also have a set of Rock Shox Boxxers on the way....1999's. Gonna try and keep it era correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs.jpg  

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    So the LTS I bought turned out to be a little too big for me and definitely too big for my wife. So I found a great frame only on ebay that was the most updated rear with the disc tab holes on what looked to be cnc'd dropouts. The seller didn't mention it, but when I got it it seemed a little different, looks like it might be the downhill model - has a 'DH' stamped under the rear swing arm. I'm wondering if anyone knows what differences the DH models have compared with, say the LTS 2000s (boomerang models).
    Lets see a picture

Quote Originally Posted by letour32 View Post
    Both ride great, but I just replaced the Super Deluxe with my Fox Float.
    You want to sell the Super Deluxe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chagolucho View Post
    So, inspired by Ironv6's mod, y made one for myself, with a monarch R.
    Went to the local lathe "maestros" and with a rough sketch we worked for three hours and got the pieces (in aluminum).

I attached some pictures of the pieces being made, and then mounted.

They are rough, ugly, but the mod works a treat! The bike felt so much better climbing and going down.

Now, I will just polish everything so to make them look neat.

BTW its a 98 lts 3000, changed the fork for a Tora (heavy as f%#$), and almost every component is xt or xtr.

What can I say I just love the bike, now I want to switch to a lighter fork (keeping it RS).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130227-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	777399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sin título.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	777400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130303-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	777401
    Very nice retrofitting! I don't have the trunion mount on my LTS-1, but I still stuffed a 6.5 ete Fox Float on there and it made all the difference in the world ad I'm sure you've felt. It's amazing how after all these years, these frames still dominate against alot of what's offered out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    ^^I dig that Modification! Would like to see more pictures! Great looking bike!

I just scored this one....

Also have a set of Rock Shox Boxxers on the way....1999's. Gonna try and keep it era correct.
    Let me know if you need a Boxxer front wheel. I have a 20mm Boxxer by Ringle non-disc hub laced to a Mavic rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Easily the best full suspension frame I've ever owned.

rubber side down
    I'm part way though reading this thread. Some GREAT information. I did want ask you fellow LTS geeks about this one I picked up off Craigslist.

I think it's early, don't see any disc mounts in the rear...any info would be appreciated!

Can you tell the year by the serial number? Sorry if there is an answer in this thread, just have not completely read through yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-lts_craigs2.jpg  

rubber side down
    So I was able to get the s/n off the bottom: 960069 S So this is a small DH? Top tube length is about 17 1/2". Bottom Bracket to seat post is about 22"

Doesn't seem like a small to me, but guess it's the 1996/97 LTS DH small?

It's okay if I'm talking to myself, just want somewhere to have this info. I'm not on page 5 of this thread....might answer my own questions

EDIT! Great info in this thread, just need to spend the time and weed through the fluff

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1997.pdf

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1998.pdf

http://mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1998-2.pdf

So from what I can gather on my 2 LTS DH's; My original one is a 1997 LTS DH size medium
    And the one I just picked up from Craigslist for $240 is also a 1997 LTS DH but is a size small, and why it looks a little different.
    I don't think I got a bad deal, but don't think I got an awesome deal either.

I reposted the above links from the middle of this thread....sorry but I geekout on this stuff.

although what is "rahmen" is that the DH kit with the chain guide?
    Last edited by TAOS1; 03-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Just a quick thought, your Craigslist bike may be a 96 or older. Note the cantilever hanger on rear triangle. By 97 they had gone to V-brakes on high and mid-level bikes.

It still looks pretty big for a small though, but then again, I don't know much about the DH bikes...never a hill big enough around me to justify one (or the 'nads for matter)

rubber side down
    I think you're right John, I have both bikes side to side today and the differences are huge! I almost think the rear on the craigs might be a replacement? I'll take some more detailed pics of the 2 side to side....

I love geeking out on this stuff and hope some of you all can help once I post up better pictures and measurements.

Just a quick thought, your Craigslist bike may be a 96 or older. Note the cantilever hanger on rear triangle. By 97 they had gone to V-brakes on high and mid-level bikes.

It still looks pretty big for a small though, but then again, I don't know much about the DH bikes...never a hill big enough around me to justify one (or the 'nads for matter)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well Im back in here for the second time, after buying my first lts december of 2012.

I just got a carbon STS frame on ebay with plans to rebuild. Turns out I only had a partial kit that happened to have a couple needle bearings in it.

Has anyone rebuilt the rear section with needle bearings instead of the old plastic type bearings? And more specifically Im looking at the ones from mtbcomponents in europe.

Im also planning on throwing a couple coats of clear over the carbon sections to smooth and protect, then some modern gt logos if I can find them.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Do you have any pics of the rebuild kit? I've only done the BETD kits before, they are pretty straightforward. My first (and best) LTS had an unusual bearing kit in it that I've never seen before but they worked wonderfully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pics of my kit, or pics of the one Im looking at?

This is the site Im looking into: GT Lts and Sts spares : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

To do the entire rear half is about 250, which is high but if its worth it I dont mind the cost.

Edit: Just realized we're talking about the same company ha, and that I didnt ask the question I meant. Im no stranger to modifications and mechanical maintenance so install wont be a problem. What Im curious about its the value; durability, longevity, quality compared to the old style bushings.

Air Pirate
    I did the entire swap-out of the bushings for the bearing kits from BETD on my 97 LTS-1. Completely worth it. Smooth, strong, and most importantly QUIET! In the case of the worn bushings and sleeves/cores (or whatever you call some of the metal bits in the bushing system) on my bike, the pivots firmed up. There was a lot of slop due to the worn nature of the sleeves/cores. Do it, you will be very happy with the results.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thats all the validation I needed, guess Ill be ordering this weekend. On another note I got a check from the scrap yard, turns out they paid me for some copper I didnt know I dropped off! Free bushing kit? ha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello all.
    I have a question regarding the GT LTS specifically only in the 1995 model.
    What is the difference between the GT LTS vs GT Team LTS (decal on the top tube).
    Is it because GT Team LTS has all the higher end shimano XTR setup compared to the GT LTS.
    &
    Is the aluminium frame grading the same for both?
    Is the rear fox suspension same for both?
    Is the geometry & hinges the same for both?

Thank you.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erwebb View Post
    Well Im back in here for the second time, after buying my first lts december of 2012.

I just got a carbon STS frame on ebay with plans to rebuild. Turns out I only had a partial kit that happened to have a couple needle bearings in it.

nice score! I was watching that for a long time! Can't wait to see it!

DHR Rider
    Amazing to see how long this thread has been in existance. Love it.

Its been a couple of years since I was more active on MTBR, but this thread got me inspired to fix up my 99' STS 1000 DS and put it back into service. I always was a big time fan of this bike and of GT back in the day. You can see a picture of my bike (how it was a few years back ago) in the "Post your GT here" thread in the first post.

So I got myself set up with everything that I needed for the rebuild:

...BETD LTS / STS bearing kit -> check
    ...new Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset -> check
    ...new XT groupset -> check
    ...new replacement oil for my oldskool Magura Gustav M's -> check
    ...fresh new lube / degreaser / cleaning materials -> check
    ...good mood -> check

So far so good with my rebuild - I completed everything over a couple of weekends and now I am working on the finishing touches.

Just one thing which seemed a bit unusual when I installed the bearing kit on the rear linkage - the bearing set for directly behind the trunion mounted shock. If you take a look at the attached picture - you will notice that there are spaces between the rear linkage and the seatstays. Before I installed the bearing kit, the old GT bushings filled up those spaces and there was no play. Now, there is no noticeable play when moved by hand, but when installing the travel chips I had to use a hammer and I noticed that this force causes the gaps between the rear linkage and seatstays to change. Hammer force from the right onto the travel chips --> seatstay space to the right gets bigger, just like on the picture below.

Did you also notice this when installing your bearing kits? I am thinking of heading down to the local hardware store to get some plastic spacers to fill up the gaps left and right of the linkage. What do you think? How did you solve this problem? Or is it not really a problem from your point of view?

Also one final question - when installing the new BB and cranks, I used ONE black 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB to get up to 73mm (as recommended by Shimano) - this was ok, right? Can't help feel that the right crank might be a tad far out, but that could just be me not being used to how the hollowtech cranks look like....

Thanks for any help / answers you may have.

Pics will be posted once the bike is finished.

Best regards,

Cohiba

Everything Gt Lts-cimg2753-v2.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-capture.jpg

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
    Amazing to see how long this thread has been in existance. Love it.

Its been a couple of years since I was more active on MTBR, but this thread got me inspired to fix up my 99' STS 1000 DS and put it back into service. I always was a big time fan of this bike and of GT back in the day. You can see a picture of my bike (how it was a few years back ago) in the "Post your GT here" thread in the first post.

So I got myself set up with everything that I needed for the rebuild:

...BETD LTS / STS bearing kit -> check
    ...new Mavic Crossmax ST wheelset -> check
    ...new XT groupset -> check
    ...new replacement oil for my oldskool Magura Gustav M's -> check
    ...fresh new lube / degreaser / cleaning materials -> check
    ...good mood -> check

So far so good with my rebuild - I completed everything over a couple of weekends and now I am working on the finishing touches.

Just one thing which seemed a bit unusual when I installed the bearing kit on the rear linkage - the bearing set for directly behind the trunion mounted shock. If you take a look at the attached picture - you will notice that there are spaces between the rear linkage and the seatstays. Before I installed the bearing kit, the old GT bushings filled up those spaces and there was no play. Now, there is no noticeable play when moved by hand, but when installing the travel chips I had to use a hammer and I noticed that this force causes the gaps between the rear linkage and seatstays to change. Hammer force from the right onto the travel chips --> seatstay space to the right gets bigger, just like on the picture below.

Did you also notice this when installing your bearing kits? I am thinking of heading down to the local hardware store to get some plastic spacers to fill up the gaps left and right of the linkage. What do you think? How did you solve this problem? Or is it not really a problem from your point of view?

Also one final question - when installing the new BB and cranks, I used ONE black 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB to get up to 73mm (as recommended by Shimano) - this was ok, right? Can't help feel that the right crank might be a tad far out, but that could just be me not being used to how the hollowtech cranks look like....

Thanks for any help / answers you may have.

Pics will be posted once the bike is finished.

Best regards,

Cohiba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2753 v2.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	784045

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	784046
    Cohiba, check out the PDF BETD has on how to install the bearing kit for that location. It can be found here: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...structions.pdf

If you go to the last photo on the third page you will see how they advise using the flat 1 mm washers included in the kit to center the whole assembly.

Per their instruction, you don't put the washers onto the bolt, but wedge them between the linkage and the seatstays. It is a little hard to see in the photo, I actually missed it the first time I tried to do this install and was in the same quandary as you!

You then tighten the nyloc nuts until movement stops, then loosen and remove the washers.

I still had trouble with the whole thing moving to one side, so I went and got some nylon washers to make a spacer. Have ridden the bike with the nylon washers in the gaps between the linkage and seatstays with no trouble or noise for a couple of years now.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

rubber side down
    Finally got my 1996 LTS-DH assembled with the 1999 Boxxer, new PIG headset, XT disc, Saint lever, front hub....I may swap the stem. The frame is a medium plus I like the longer cockpit....I love this bike! This would have been my dream DH rig back in the day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-lts_boxxer.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-lts_boxxer1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post

Name:	CIMG2753 v2.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	784045

I didnt realize the install of those bearings in that location looked so... rudimentary. Any reason why they didnt throw the cross tube on the lathe so it would fit into the bearing? Was that a weak point, those sides being tied together?

-Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuantumized View Post
    Hello all.
    I have a question regarding the GT LTS specifically only in the 1995 model.
    What is the difference between the GT LTS vs GT Team LTS (decal on the top tube).
    Is it because GT Team LTS has all the higher end shimano XTR setup compared to the GT LTS.
    &
    Is the aluminium frame grading the same for both?
    Is the rear fox suspension same for both?
    Is the geometry & hinges the same for both?

Thank you.
    In a word, yes.
    Same frame, different parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Love this thread - its the reason I've signed up. I have a '97 STS that I built up from the frame - pics will have to wait till I get a few posts under my belt.

Meanwhile - anybody have some dimensions on those bearings from BEDT or anybody elses bearing kit? I think I'll have a go at making my own bearing conversion and it would be a great head start (or I could go take my bike apart and measure...I only rode it once last year..)

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Okay so i just got my first bike, GT LTS 3000 DS

Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Fork
    aftermarket handlebars?
    super uncomfortable seat

Last edited by lowtidejoe; 04-10-2013 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtidejoe View Post
    Okay so i just got my first bike, GT LTS 3000 DS

Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Fork
    aftermarket handlebars?
    super uncomfortable seat

Just got a new rock shox DLX for 57.50 shipped
    Selle Royal Ergo Gel Saddle 20 shipped

still want to take her to a bike shop to do a proper tune-up. Re-oil the forks and make sure the seals are still tight and maybe do a new chain and cassette/new lines and brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Is this a 96 LTS-1?
    Everything Gt Lts-img_2691.jpgEverything Gt Lts-img_2692.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You can check the year in the serial number. It is in the Bottom bracket. First two numbers should be the year and the last two the size if i don´t remember badly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, it is deffently a 1996 LTS-1. I like the gold 217 rims. How much did you pay for the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You don't want to know.

I bought it new ... apparently in 96. I couldn't remember when I bought it which is why I was asking what model year it was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They changed the rear upper link in 1997, and they made a few 1995 LTS-1's, but you could not run the new v-brakes on the rear. I know this because I changed my 95 over to run v-brakes. I pluged the rear brake studs and re-drilled them at the proper angle. I still have my 95 along with my 97 and my 99. I also still have my 1994 team RTS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Selle Royal Ergo Gel Saddle 20 shipped

still want to take her to a bike shop to do a proper tune-up. Re-oil the forks and make sure the seals are still tight and maybe do a new chain and cassette/new lines and brakes
    Is my model a 98?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would say Yes to 1998.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Where'd you pick up the DLX?
    Last edited by manoian; 04-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    <snip>

Sorry, I thought the DLX in the above post was referencing the Deluxe rear shock. didn't realize it was a fork.
    Last edited by GT_guy; 04-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.

rubber side down
    Lets see some pictures of your LTS's!

Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    They changed the rear upper link in 1997, and they made a few 1995 LTS-1's, but you could not run the new v-brakes on the rear. I know this because I changed my 95 over to run v-brakes. I pluged the rear brake studs and re-drilled them at the proper angle. I still have my 95 along with my 97 and my 99. I also still have my 1994 team RTS.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32