Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Picked up my bike yesterday from the shop, new brake lines, and brake pads, new fluid in my marzocchi fork, new chain and a few other minor things along with the new seat. Rides perfectly know with no lag in the shifting. Couldn't be more stoked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Took my bike out for a ride today, pretty legit. Just wondering what kind of air and drops you guys take our retro bikes off? So far biggest air is 3 and half feet of air over a distance of 6 feet. I would love to get really rad on this bike but i'm also feeling a sense of being cautious because i don't want to explode under neath me when i'm hauling ass

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the interesting and informative thread. I am in Australia, but have managed to find some nice GTs. We have a Timberline, (Boys) Aggressor for everyday and I have done up my late 80s GT Tachyon Crossover (with 700D wheels).

In terms of this thread I have now been lucky enough to acquire a BB LTS-1 XR-1000 in excellent condtion (The bike's (Fox Vanilla?) air shock works fine, as do the discs (fitted with Avid Juicy 5s). Although damaged you can still see the original XR-1000 decal). I will post some pictures in due course and for the future I have also recently got hold of a new 1993 Zaskar Pro Coupe de Monde frame, that someone had carried here in a suitcase from the USA some years ago.

Thanks again for this comprehensive thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi,

been lurking for a long time, so not quite a newbie

My LTS 1000 (1999) regular maintenance. Bike is still in top condition and I'm the first owner.

Everything Gt Lts-img_1892.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-img_1893.jpg
    Everything Gt Lts-img_1894.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That bike looks rad, can't wait to see it built up and some pics of it on the trails

rubber side down
    Someone should scoop this! (this is NOT my ad, I search "allcraigs" for bikes)
    GT LTS-DH Mountain Bike for sale

1996/97 LTS-DH
    Clean. I paid the same for mine and it's not near as nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just came a across a 1997 lts-1, for $200 on CL, seller says that it is in original condition never been upgrade except for BRAKES/SHIFTERS AND CABLES, front shock os a RS judy, my question is can you up grade the shocks, i found a RISSE shock upgrade for this particular model and year for the rear shock, can you put a fox shock on the front

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zim04 View Post
    I just came a across a 1997 lts-1, for $200 on CL, seller says that it is in original condition never been upgrade except for BRAKES/SHIFTERS AND CABLES, front shock os a RS judy, my question is can you up grade the shocks, i found a RISSE shock upgrade for this particular model and year for the rear shock, can you put a fox shock on the front
    You should easily find a fork that will suit your needs fox/rockshox

GT LTS Hoarder
    For the front fork, anything 80mm to 100mm will work fine. Make sure it has an untapered 1" 1/8 steering tube and if you plan on running rim brakes on it, be sure you still have the v-brake mounts. Most shock manufacturers are getting away from adding those. For high end shocks, it may be tough to find, but mid to lower end, they are still available.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ive got a RS Tora fork, at first didnt want to mess with the angle so kept it at 110 max, now I run it full on at 130mm and love it.

I put a shorter stem, and the bike is so much more responsive now, and with the Monarch retrofit I think I have now at least 130mm of travel in the back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chagolucho View Post
    Ive got a RS Tora fork, at first didnt want to mess with the angle so kept it at 110 max, now I run it full on at 130mm and love it.

I put a shorter stem, and the bike is so much more responsive now, and with the Monarch retrofit I think I have now at least 130mm of travel in the back.

Please post some photos, what's a monarch retrofit? I need more travel ha

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Everything Gt Lts-gt-part-3.jpgEverything Gt Lts-gt-part-2.jpgEverything Gt Lts-gt-part-1.jpg

I have a GT LTS 2 that has been my pride & joy, blood, sweat, & gears, over many a years, and I have put hundreds, if not thousands of miles on it, but now a piece is broken and I'm having an insanely difficult time trying to find the part. (I think it's called the "lower pivot" where the suspension connects to the frame, I would really appreciate anyone's input judging from the pictures on helping troubleshoot the issue/broken part or what it's even called...

Thanks you for your time & expertise! Respectfully,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is my monarch retrofit:

In my calcs i obtained something near 6 inches of travel:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-foto4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimalater View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt part 3.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	796810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt part 2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	796811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt part 1.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	796812

I have a GT LTS 2 that has been my pride & joy, blood, sweat, & gears, over many a years, and I have put hundreds, if not thousands of miles on it, but now a piece is broken and I'm having an insanely difficult time trying to find the part. (I think it's called the "lower pivot" where the suspension connects to the frame, I would really appreciate anyone's input judging from the pictures on helping troubleshoot the issue/broken part or what it's even called...

Dan
    It's really hard to see what's going on in those pics.
    Is the bolt inside the pivot sheared off? If so, you probably lost a piece of the pivot and it also looks like the bushing is broken.
    I'd suggest washing the bike and posting some clearer pictures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    IronV6 post some photos of your rig, that retrofit looks seriously rad!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Dan
    There is a complete bushing and spacer kit for your frame on E-bay for "buy now" of $65.00. This kit includes the pieces you are missing. Go to cycling and then gt and then lts. Good luck and please wash that beautiful frame once in awile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtidejoe View Post
    IronV6 post some photos of your rig, that retrofit looks seriously rad!
    Here you have some pics of the final result, they are not the current ones because i have changed the handlebar and some other items:

I also made a caliper support to fit the four pot hopes:

This is the support after welding:

Original setting of the monarch was a medium but comparing the ride with my LTS (cane creek AD5 in the rear) i felt the STS less sensitive so i reshimmed the compression circuit in order to get a softer ride and a more active rear suspension. My weight is 100kg and iīm running the monarch with 230psi...if your weight is bigger than mine maybe you reach the limit pressure of the monarch if you mount the shock in the long travel position.

I also made some custom travel chips in aluminum with bronze bushings and a bearing kit for the upper pivot and fitted the betd kit of bearings in the horst link:

I havenīt got many other pics as i decided to wait until i put the decals on it but i havenīt made the decals yet.

rubber side down
    Looks SIC!^^

I just picked up a STS thermal plastic DH version. Anyone know which rear derailleur dropout I need? Is there a chart of some sort? I'll post up pictures later. Super stoked on this rig!

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

IronV6, that's some very fine craftsmanship you're showing us here. I'm pretty good myself with my hands, but your work is a few good steps above my level (which I hope to reach one day, still have many years ahead). What really gets me is the engraved GT wings caliper mount you welded, such a beautiful attention to details and then the engineering you came up with to make your own shock retrofit and the new bushings integrating the BEDT bearing kit along is brilliant work. Even more considering this is all invested into such a old frame, that is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah that's one seriously rad bike, i can't even imagine how much fun you must have on that thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you guys, i know it is an old frame but i really like GTīs and i love the STS frames. I have the old versions of the STS-LTS frames hanging in my wall but i think that this one deserves to be ridden. I also use my LTS as much as i can....they are not modern frames but they are very good frames in my opinion, and the rear suspension is all i allways liked, very sensitive, good travel, and as soon as you put the small chainring it gets virtually locked......
    You will see a lot of peopple with modern and expensive bikes in the trails....but these old rockers are unique, beautifull and exclusive....is all i want from a bike.

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

Exactly, I couldn't have say it better

I got hold of a pristine '00 GT XCR3000 a year ago for $400 (bit pricy IMO), and this is my XC dream bike with the original i-drive design and also the blue/white paint scheme (which is the best color pattern of the whole '00 XCR models IMO), but I have to say all polished it would be the ticket to heaven. Unfortunately I don't have time nor the will to go trough that exhausting process, so I'll keep it that way.

I'll be getting carbon wheels, 160/140 disc brakes, ideally a nice SID fork (the newer ones with bigger stanchions), then a X-Fusion rear air shock (they have a XC super lightweight one with retro look that is pure sweetness) when the stock SID is shot, etc. Old frame, but not ridden much, so I will be catching back all those missing dirt miles fir the next years

Back on topic now. IronV6, is the rear caliper mount homemade with the engraving too or is this a already existing part you adapted to fit your needs ?
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Back on topic now. IronV6, is the rear caliper mount homemade with the engraving too or is this a already existing part you adapted to fit your needs ?
    I use to make all the parts for my mods. the caliper support was designed and CNCīd by myself. My job is designing and building custom cnc parts and when i have some spare time i like making my own parts, now iīm working in a set of cantilever brakes and some other stuff for my zaskar build.

Huckin' trails

Everything Gt Lts

Wait, so you could possibly make spare i-drive parts and other very useful and essentials parts for the old GT frames that will get quite rare to find in the next years ?

If I had the money, I'd get a custom Ti i-drive assembly to drop down even more weight of the frame.

Very nice work. I love it

mtbr member
    May 2013

Dan
    i had same problems on my 1996 LTS . I bought the "main bearing" or "roller bearing kit" from mountainbikecomponents.co.uk i work on fitting it now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything Gt Lts-hpim0001.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-hpim0008.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-hpim0009.jpg  

Everything Gt Lts-hpim0010.jpg  

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast